ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 594 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #14296
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I was never a soldier (I was a coastie with a little LEO training) but IMO, in combat, a handgun is something you either use when you don't have a rifle handy (or working, or have run out of ammo) and you have to defend yourself, or it is something you might use in very close quarters where a rifle is too large - say *maybe* in clearing a building (even there, a carbine or SMG might be preferable).

So yeah, most of the time, close quarters or last resort.
Yes, which is why I was questioning the problem with shooting a 1911 at 100 yards.......
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #14297
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Sooooo. Who's running out to be a Remington R1?

http://www.1911r1.com/

Anyone own/shot one?
Looks like they're running about $600...somewhere in the range of the lower end springfields/kimbers.
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #14298
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
I was never a soldier (I was a coastie with a little LEO training) but IMO, in combat, a handgun is something you either use when you don't have a rifle handy (or working, or have run out of ammo) and you have to defend yourself, or it is something you might use in very close quarters where a rifle is too large - say *maybe* in clearing a building (even there, a carbine or SMG might be preferable).

So yeah, most of the time, close quarters or last resort.
I recall from my Army days being told that the primary reason officers were issued handguns starting back in the 1800s was so that they could shoot their own men if they failed or refused to obey orders, or were fleeing the field of battle when retreat had not been ordered.

I was not an officer, I was a medic. By the time I served, field medics carried M16s just like everyone else, but some of the old guys still carried pistols and we all had to qualify with them. I never actually carried one in the field, went with the M16 instead after discovering how shitty and useless the old worn-out 1911s were.

I don't mean to bash 1911s, I own a number of them and love them, have shot them more than any other style of handgun, but my 1911s are about as different from the one I shot in the Army as a nice new KTM 990 is from a worn-out KLR!
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #14299
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
It's kinda hard to tell I am into 1911's huh?
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #14300
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer
 
KSJEEPER's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kansas City area
Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I recall from my Army days being told that the primary reason officers were issued handguns starting back in the 1800s was so that they could shoot their own men if they failed or refused to obey orders, or were fleeing the field of battle when retreat had not been ordered.

I was not an officer, I was a medic. By the time I served, field medics carried M16s just like everyone else, but some of the old guys still carried pistols and we all had to qualify with them. I never actually carried one in the field, went with the M16 instead after discovering how shitty and useless the old worn-out 1911s were.

I don't mean to bash 1911s, I own a number of them and love them, have shot them more than any other style of handgun, but my 1911s are about as different from the one I shot in the Army as a nice new KTM 990 is from a worn-out KLR!
I was an 0331 in the Corps, 03 meaning infantry and 31 meaning machine gunner. When I was the gunner (first with an m60E3 then swapped to m240G) I carried a pistol. Generally if the weapon you are packing is bigger than an M16, i.e. poor performance in a close / defense situation, you pack a Beretta as well.

I was a peacetime jarhead, so for us the Beretta was just an extra assigned piece of gear to keep clean....
__________________
2002 KLR650 - 2007 HD Electra Glide
'It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own, or how many cows ya' brand,the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather.' Harry Truman
"Death smiles upon us all, a U.S. Marine smiles back"
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #14301
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
wannaklr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Back In Iowa. Quad Cities to be exactish..
Oddometer: 7,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
It's kinda hard to tell I am into 1911's huh?
Ok. I'm still pining for the P7 but...

Money no object which 1911 would you get?

Money a significant object which 1911 would you get?

And how about those 1911/22? which one would you get?
__________________
Back in Iowa!
I like my music like I like my women. Loud, angry and with bagpipes!

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #14302
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Ok. I'm still pining for the P7 but...

Money no object which 1911 would you get?A ted Yost handmade caspian model.

Money a significant object which 1911 would you get?How significant? 1K and under, or 600 and under?

And how about those 1911/22? which one would you get?
Id get e nice 1911 like above and buy a Kimber or Ceiner kit for IT. For solely a 1911 IN .22 a Kimber Rimfire 22 1911.Oh, and get a P7 when you find one for a deal, they are dead sexy.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #14303
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaklr View Post
Money a significant object which 1911 would you get?
How significant? 1K and under, or 600 and under?
Ok, let's play.
Under $750.
Under $1500
Under $3000
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #14304
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Ok, let's play.
Under $750. Springer Range Master
Under $1500 Kimber Tactical any.....
Under $3000 Les Bear Custom or even a nicer Wilson Super Grade.
See above!
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #14305
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Over 5K, Ted Yost Signature models. Here's a pic of one.

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #14306
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
And my old TY Signature model when I was at Gunsite,

__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #14307
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Anyone have one of these H&K USPc in 40?



I can get one in trade for a couple reviolvers I have for sale. 3 mags and box and papers. 20 rds total count, it is basically new.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 PM   #14308
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Do you know why the Government had the 1911 as a service sidearm for sooooo long? it was because it was the easiest platform to train on

I remember when I was a kid (the early 60's) my grandfather had a cast replica of a 1911 that he said was a training piece. Wonder where that ended up?
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #14309
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I remember when I was a kid (the early 60's) my grandfather had a cast replica of a 1911 that he said was a training piece. Wonder where that ended up?
It would be nice to find! And probably collectable to a point.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #14310
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Ok, let's play.
Under $750. Springer Range Master
Under $1500 Kimber Tactical any.....
Under $3000 Les Bear Custom or even a nicer Wilson Super Grade.

See above!

Interesting. Thanks.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014