Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 659 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #14311
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Over 5K, Ted Yost Signature models. Here's a pic of one.

Maybe it's just me but I fail to see how a 1911 (or any handgun without a historical pedigree) justifies a $5K price tag.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #14312
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
It's kinda hard to tell I am into 1911's huh?
And here I thought you were a wheelgun man...

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #14313
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I fail to see how a 1911 (or any handgun without a historical pedigree) justifies a $5K price tag.
It can't be explained, you would have to LOVE 1911s, and want a true masterpiece of art. One would have to feel one in their hand to appreciate it.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #14314
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
And here I thought you were a wheelgun man...
Both really, still ccw a 2.5inj Python basically every day! if not that then a full size 1911.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #14315
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Alejo!

There's a dealer that sells RIAs a couple of miles north of my job!!!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #14316
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Alejo!

There's a dealer that sells RIAs a couple of miles north of my job!!!

WHat are their prices like>?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #14317
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
WHat are their prices like>?
Haven't checked the place specifically yet, but it's listed on RIA's website.

Edit: They give specs, but no prices.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 02-03-2011 at 08:35 PM
EvilGenius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #14318
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,102
Quote:
It can't be explained, you would have to LOVE 1911s, and want a true masterpiece of art. One would have to feel one in their hand to appreciate it.

I agree. and my post a few pages back was just kind of to see why others felt that about an old design. I wonder why the Schofield never caught on? I always liked that disign.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #14319
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
I agree. and my post a few pages back was just kind of to see why others felt that about an old design. I wonder why the Schofield never caught on? I always liked that disign.

I've always liked the Schofields too, although have never owned one. I think they came close to being the Army revolver at the time the Colt SAA was adopted, but the Army wanted the 45 Colt cartridge rather than S&W's Schofield round which was smaller, and S&W refused. I also believe that the break-top design proved to be less rugged and more complicated, although it was vastly quicker and easier to reload, especially for cavalry troops on horse-back, and the gun didn't handle/balance quite as well in the opinion of most soldiers. And, biggy for the Army, the Schofields were more expensive. Jesse James supposedly used one and they were fairly popular with some of the "professionals" back in the Old West.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:10 AM   #14320
wyowillys46
F=mA

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Let me rephrase my question.

What is done in the manufacturing process to require at least a four or five fold increase in price over the typical 1911?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #14321
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowillys46 View Post
Let me rephrase my question.

What is done in the manufacturing process to require at least a four or five fold increase in price over the typical 1911?
I suspect it involves some hand-fitting, close tolerances, fancy polish/finishing, etc.....oh, and don't forget brand cachet! I agree, however, and while I love a nice 1911 have a very hard time justifying anything above the $1200-1500 level, and even that seems too steep to me. I think it is a lot like some other things, bicycles, skis, etc., where you can get a very respectable/decent machine for $700-800, a very nice one for $1000-1500, but when you get above that price-point it's diminishing returns. Whereas a $1500 gun might arguably (although I'm not sure I buy it) be twice as nice as a $750 gun, a $3000 gun is not twice as nice as a $1500 gun and you're paying more for name recognition and cosmetics.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #14322
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,430
Quote:

I can get one in trade for a couple reviolvers I have for sale. 3 mags and box and papers. 20 rds total count, it is basically new.
i have the non compact. never had a fail to fire or anything else weird...not sure how many rounds through it or how long i've had it, paper in the box says i gave just under $500 for it so it must have been awhile.

Medicine Creek screwed with this post 02-04-2011 at 07:01 AM
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #14323
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,676
And marketing.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #14324
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post

Solely becaue break tops fell out of favor when rounds got to higher pressures and they couldn't be gaurenteed to stand up strength wise. A break top isn't as strong a design as a solid top strap frame....I love the Schofields, great idea. Beauty of a design.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:41 AM   #14325
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I suspect it involves some hand-fitting, close tolerances, fancy polish/finishing, etc.....oh, and don't forget brand cachet! I agree, however, and while I love a nice 1911 have a very hard time justifying anything above the $1200-1500 level, and even that seems too steep to me. I think it is a lot like some other things, bicycles, skis, etc., where you can get a very respectable/decent machine for $700-800, a very nice one for $1000-1500, but when you get above that price-point it's diminishing returns. Whereas a $1500 gun might arguably (although I'm not sure I buy it) be twice as nice as a $750 gun, a $3000 gun is not twice as nice as a $1500 gun and you're paying more for name recognition and cosmetics.
I will agree that after a certain point, all you can do is make one prettier. I have had 1911s that cost me close to a grand shoot every bit as well as my Wilson Super Grade which at the time when I got it was 2558.00 and I sold it for $4500.00! It felt better in my hand than all but one of my 1911s to this day, but still, the one I had that cost me the least, the Defender, shot the best and looked friggin bad ass and I had maybe 400 into it. Sure I got a screaming deal on it and Ted Yost did it up free for me whilst I was at Gunsite, but that gun would have cost someone else 3500 easy to have done. Shoot, right now I have a all stainless SA Loaded that I bought used for 450, it shoots as well as any 1911 I have ever had and only has a match barrel, bushing, and a trigger job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: