Oddometer: 295
The Variables:
Units: gallons/mph
Odometer: 3,600 miles
Rider: 5'9" 190#
Luggage: BMW top case - 100% of the time
Windscreen: stock
Exhaust: stock
Riding Conditions: city, hwy, twisties (Bay Area)

Results:
OBC says 45mpg. Not good. Is the top case sucking gas?
OaklandLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #93
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandLion
The Variables:

Results:
Don't go by the computer... do the math.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #94
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandLion
The Variables:

Results:

Don't go by the computer... do the math.
I do the math and find the computer reasonably accurate.

As to the 45 mpg I think the city part of your riding is doing you in.

In and around Houston I consistently get 45-47 mpg even though half my riding is highway.

On a trip I to the boonies (little or no lights or city driving) I am always over 50 and in the higher and dryer altitudes am generally up closer to 60 (over 60 a couple of times).

Caveat: I do tend to have a very heavy throttle hand and like to be out ahead of the traffic.

YMMV

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #95
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
Just "aks" me how many miles can you go from full to stall empty!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #96
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
on 2300+ mile trip from CO to MOA National in Redmond OR and back, on only 2 lane roads out, and mostly all I-state home (don't ask, it wasn't my choice) i had a low of 44mpg (heavy head winds, and i suspect crappy gas). that was one tank only. other than that my next low was 55, and everything else was 59/60 or better. best was a tank of 70 mpg coming across WY with a slight tail wind. all calcs aer true calculated, not OBC. typical speeds were legallimit to +5 (60-65 on back roads, 70+ on I-state), but did have a run or two at 80 for sustained times.
did discover that my odo reads 2% low- so 100 stated is an actual 102. so let's nudge all those mpg figures up by 2%!!

yeah, i'm loving it

Life is tough. It's even tougher when you're stupid.- John Wayne

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S

bikerfish1100 screwed with this post 07-22-2010 at 04:50 PM
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #97
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
I got 57 miles per gallon on my last tank. My riding was back roads with last 30 miles of fast freeway run at 80mph.. I got 212 miles on my tank before my motorcycle stalled at the exit ramp.. The bike coasted in neutral to the gas station.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #98
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
I got 57 miles per gallon on my last tank. My riding was back roads with last 30 miles of fast freeway run at 80mph.. I got 212 miles on my tank before my motorcycle stalled at the exit ramp.. The bike coasted in neutral to the gas station.

how long had your reserve symbol been lit? mine consistently comes on right around 3.2 gals gone, with 1 left. have driven fuel left symbol down to single digits, and still have never added more than 3.8
when my light comes on I do a simple divisin calc (i always use Trip[ 1 for recording tank miles), figure out this tank's avg mpg, and figure i then have maybe 5-10 miles less than that to find gas.

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
Old 07-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #99
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish1100
on 2300+ mile trip from CO to MOA National in Redmond OR, on only 2 lane roads out, and mostly all I-state home (don't ask, it wasn't my choice) i had a low of 44mpg (heavy head winds, and i suspect crappy gas). that was one tank only. other than that my next low was 55, and everything else was 59/60 or better. best was a tank of 70 mpg coming across WY with a slight tail wind. all calcs aer true calculated, not OBC. typical speeds were legallimit to +5 (60-65 on back roads, 70+ on I-state), but did have a run or two at 80 for sustained times.
did discover that my odo reads 2% low- so 100 stated is an actual 102. so let';s nnudge all those mpg figures up by 2%!!

yeah, i'm loving it
My results are almost exactly the same--also loving it
Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 PM   #100
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
I'm getting about 57 mpg from my 658.
Not so bad!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #101
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
I'm a light guy (140lbs) and I don't typically run hi revs. I always use premium gas. I've found that hand calculations and computer calculations match up within +/- 1mpg.

On Highway with tall windscreen, side and tail bags on highway at normal traffic speeds I average 38/39 mpg regardless of up/down hill and/or head winds.

On Higway with tall windscreen and no bags at normal traffic speeds I average 40/42.

In the city I average 55 to 60 with bags and 60 ish without bags.

Anytime I reach 6'th gear my mpg goes way down, I'm talking that unless I'm coasting, it rarely averages more than 5'th and some of the time much less than 5'th.

I've also noticed that my gas guage is off. It routinely hits 0 miles left but I've never been able to add more than 3.4 gallons to the tank. That situation scared the crap out of me on my first distance ride where at 120 miles the computer was telling me I could only go 10 more before going empty.

The bike is going to the shop on the 14'th for an uber detailed sensor diagnostic where every sensor measurement is going to be read and graphed and the bmw engineers in germany analyze the results.

BMW service things there is an air flow anomaly between the cylinders that is causing a fuel consumption inbalance. (((My engine is also knocking in idol but the knock goes away with rev...not related to clutch engagement)))

I'll be sure to let you know what comes of it.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #102
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback
I'm a light guy (140lbs) and I don't typically run hi revs. I always use premium gas. I've found that hand calculations and computer calculations match up within +/- 1mpg.

On Highway with tall windscreen, side and tail bags on highway at normal traffic speeds I average 38/39 mpg regardless of up/down hill and/or head winds.

On Higway with tall windscreen and no bags at normal traffic speeds I average 40/42.

Anytime I reach 6'th gear my mpg goes way down, I'm talking that unless I'm coasting, it rarely averages more than 5'th and some of the time much less than 5'th.

I've also noticed that my gas guage is off. It routinely hits 0 miles left but I've never been able to add more than 3.4 gallons to the tank. That situation scared the crap out of me on my first distance ride where at 120 miles the computer was telling me I could only go 10 more before going empty.

The bike is going to the shop on the 14'th for an uber detailed sensor diagnostic where every sensor measurement is going to be read and graphed and the bmw engineers in germany analyze the results.

BMW service things there is an air flow anomaly between the cylinders that is causing a fuel consumption inbalance. (((My engine is also knocking in idol but the knock goes away with rev...not related to clutch engagement)))

hoo boy, you sure got somethin' funky going on. i have seen as high as 70mpg on Interstate riding, stock windshield but loaded Caribou/Pelican cases and tail bag, plus me at almost 200. that was running 75-80.
my computer says that around 50mph, i raise from 55 mpg in 5th to 70+mpg in 6th.

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S
Old 08-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #103
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback

Took the bike in this morning for troubleshooting and found a crack in the air box at the connection for the charcoal filter feed. Huge air leak at the connection for the hose. When they pulled the hose off we found that the plastic connector for the hose was only being held in place in one small area.

Got a new airbox on order. Hopefully that'll fix the mileage problem.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #104
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Vairables: F800GS, 2009
MPG 57 miles/gallon average
Odometer 5,900 miles
Rider 5' 10", 180 lbs
Luggage Wolfman Enduro tank bag (small)
Touratech tail bag, with tools etc. Weighs 16 pounds
Windscreen Stock
Exhaust Stock
Riding conditions Roughly 60-40 street to dirt. Street riding mostly
55 to 80 mph. Dirt is everything from good gravel
to technical rocky. Basically no City driving.

I bought the bike with 2200 miles on it and reset the MPG reading when I picked it up. I reset it yesterday for the first time and it was at 57 mpg. I rode 150 miles last night, 90 miles on blacktop, and 60 miles on dirt, and I averaged 58 mpg for the ride, so consistant with what I had been getting. I wanted to check it, as I have ordered a new exhaust pipe for it and I want to see if the gas mileage improves, stays the same, or goes down with the new pipe. oclv

oclv454 screwed with this post 08-25-2010 at 07:51 PM
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #105
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
Vairables:
MPG 57 miles/gallon average
Odometer 5,900 miles
Rider 5' 10", 180 lbs
Luggage Wolfman Enduro tank bag (small)
Touratech tail bag, with tools etc. Weighs 16 pounds
Windscreen Stock
Exhaust Stock
Riding conditions Roughly 60-40 street to dirt. Street riding mostly
55 to 80 mph. Dirt is everything from good gravel
to technical rocky. Basically no City driving.

I bought the bike with 2200 miles on it and reset the MPG reading when I picked it up. I reset it yesterday for the first time and it was at 57 mpg. I rode 150 miles last night, 90 miles on blacktop, and 60 miles on dirt, and I averaged 58 mpg for the ride, so consistant with what I had been getting. I wanted to check it, as I have ordered a new exhaust pipe for it and I want to see if the gas mileage improves, stays the same, or goes down with the new pipe. oclv
just realize that the OBC may or may not be accurate. the only way to tell for sure is to record mileage between fillups and the gallons replaced between same fillups (MUST fill up, otherwise it doesn't work). divide miles by gallons to get mpg. anything else is guess work.

2009 F800GS
2001 R1100S