ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #7771
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 3,016
i'm trying to understand how they can legally close a connecting rd like that on public land.
2 SPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #7772
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Oddometer: 530
Same thing at Hoopers saddle and both placed where it would be pretty hard to go around them. They are not built as if to be very temporary in my opinion.
Nuclieye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 AM   #7773
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
i'm trying to understand how they can legally close a connecting rd like that on public land.
Our OHV fees at work.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #7774
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Our OHV fees at work.
oh, boy! here we go again.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=804372

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #7775
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Seems like the gate Yardstick shows has always been there & maybe a temporary closure?
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #7776
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
I spoke with the ranger office here in Mesa. I have a school right accross the street, and the ranger chick is hot. So I had an excuse to go see her. She said these are temporary closures because of fire hazard. I guess we need to start doing rain dances and hope we get some more wet stuff to make schtuff green again. I really can't get too angry about the heat making life miserable it is kinda the package deal of living here in Eastern California Annex.
Pretty sure thats a BS story to keep us off their backs. A temp closure is a barricade with a no entry sign. We drove many miles through the fire burn area checking claims etc before we hit the very well placed gate. That is NOT a temporary gate and if its just to keep us out of the burn area thats also BS since so much of the burn area is totally open to driving still.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #7777
seabee1
we build, we fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclieye View Post
Pretty sure thats a BS story to keep us off their backs. A temp closure is a barricade with a no entry sign. We drove many miles through the fire burn area checking claims etc before we hit the very well placed gate. That is NOT a temporary gate and if its just to keep us out of the burn area thats also BS since so much of the burn area is totally open to driving still.
i think what he's saying is that the gate being closed is only temporary. i've ridden through many permenant gates that were open....

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Old 07-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #7778
Nuclieye
Custom Fit is my choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
i think what he's saying is that the gate being closed is only temporary. i've ridden through many permenant gates that were open....
Yes I am incorrect and you have it nailed they are only looking out for our best interests and will soon open up all the lands they have closed to us over the past 20 years I have seen. Heck darn I bet they even open up the past 1200 miles of FS roads closed in the past 5 years alone I have watched vanish!

Two thumbs up USFS!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #7779
seabee1
we build, we fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclieye View Post
Yes I am incorrect and you have it nailed they are only looking out for our best interests and will soon open up all the lands they have closed to us over the past 20 years I have seen. Heck darn I bet they even open up the past 1200 miles of FS roads closed in the past 5 years alone I have watched vanish!

Two thumbs up USFS!
Just trying to not be so negative.

Didn't mean to piss in your wheaties.

Have at it!

www.dehmotorcycle.com

seabee1 screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 07:39 PM
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #7780
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750Volts! View Post
. I would start by making some but it would just bring all of the trolls out.

You are wise beyond your years grasshopper

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #7781
wander lust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hi everyone. I am a relatively new rider and new to the forum. I am retired and looking to enjoy the less traveled ( mostly gravel and dirt ) roads in the SW. I moved up from a Honda CFR 150 to a BMW F650GS. I have put about 1500 miles on the BMW. My riding skills are probably mediocre at best and am not a particularly aggressive mindset.
I keep having schedule conflicts for your meetings at the donut shop.

I have done the Castle hot springs loop from Lake Pleasant to Carefree highway a couple of times.
I did an overnight trip to Young AZ via 88 and 188 - nice.

Quick questions for today:

1 - What tire pressure should I be using on the gravel/dirt? ( and how do you air up when you get back to the pavement)

2 - I am thinking of going to the Rim area above Strawberry on a three day trip next week. Expected route is FR24 from Cave Creek, FR 16 and FR 57 into Strawberry. Any comments on the conditions/difficulty of this route?

Thanks for the help.
wander lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #7782
Reidy008
I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander lust View Post
Hi everyone. I am a relatively new rider and new to the forum. I am retired and looking to enjoy the less traveled ( mostly gravel and dirt ) roads in the SW. I moved up from a Honda CFR 150 to a BMW F650GS. I have put about 1500 miles on the BMW. My riding skills are probably mediocre at best and am not a particularly aggressive mindset.
I keep having schedule conflicts for your meetings at the donut shop.

I have done the Castle hot springs loop from Lake Pleasant to Carefree highway a couple of times.
I did an overnight trip to Young AZ via 88 and 188 - nice.

Quick questions for today:

1 - What tire pressure should I be using on the gravel/dirt? ( and how do you air up when you get back to the pavement)

2 - I am thinking of going to the Rim area above Strawberry on a three day trip next week. Expected route is FR24 from Cave Creek, FR 16 and FR 57 into Strawberry. Any comments on the conditions/difficulty of this route?

Thanks for the help.
Grab a slime pump and you should be able to get an adapter for your power outlet on your bike and your air problems are taken care of. They come with a few different power attachments but I don't think the BMW outlet is one. I know Helmet Center usually has one in stock but you can get them at alot of places. Are the tires tubless on those bikes or tubed? Hopeflly you are prepared in case of a flat. 20 pounds should be very comfortable for the type of riding you are doing off road.

If I am seeing your route correctly I would not suggest you take the FR16 and FR57 route. First I don't beleive it will get you through to Stawberry and secondly I think after you leave FR24 the roads are rougher than you maybe used to and probably shouldn't be done alone just incase you run into any problems.

A good route to take would be to take FR24 to Bloody Basin Rd turn left and take it out to I-17. From there you can decide how your doing for time and you have many options. You could go back I-17, stay on Bloody Basin and ride dirt back to Black Canyon City or up to Crown King (got to go there some time) options are many at that point. I would be happy to help you out with some routes that would get you out and in to some great areas. As your riding level improves you can start tackling some tougher stuff. Cheers
Reidy008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #7783
wander lust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
"If I am seeing your route correctly I would not suggest you take the FR16 and FR57 route. First I don't beleive it will get you through to Stawberry and secondly I think after you leave FR24 the roads are rougher than you maybe used to and probably shouldn't be done alone just incase you run into any problems."

Thanks for the information. You advice will keep out of trouble.

Google maps shows FR 57 connecting to FR 16 and some other roads to get to Strawberry.

My $ is running behind my desire for remote roads. I have not acquired the equipment to be as independent as I need to be for the areas I want to explore but I will soon buy it. Tubless tire repair kit and tire pump are on order.

My goal for this trip is just to escape the hot weather and am more interested in riding the Rim road ( FR 300) to Sho Lo. I have been trying to find a route to the Rim above Strawberry that minimizes the well traveled pavement. I guess I will bite the bullet for this trip and travel the highways 17 and 260 and pick up FR300 off of 87.

What is a good GPS for adventure riding? I certainly want to enter in GPS coordinates.
wander lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #7784
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander lust View Post
"If I am seeing your route correctly I would not suggest you take the FR16 and FR57 route. First I don't beleive it will get you through to Stawberry and secondly I think after you leave FR24 the roads are rougher than you maybe used to and probably shouldn't be done alone just incase you run into any problems."

Thanks for the information. You advice will keep out of trouble.

Google maps shows FR 57 connecting to FR 16 and some other roads to get to Strawberry.

My $ is running behind my desire for remote roads. I have not acquired the equipment to be as independent as I need to be for the areas I want to explore but I will soon buy it. Tubless tire repair kit and tire pump are on order.

My goal for this trip is just to escape the hot weather and am more interested in riding the Rim road ( FR 300) to Sho Lo. I have been trying to find a route to the Rim above Strawberry that minimizes the well traveled pavement. I guess I will bite the bullet for this trip and travel the highways 17 and 260 and pick up FR300 off of 87.

What is a good GPS for adventure riding? I certainly want to enter in GPS coordinates.
Check the tondo road closures. Everything I saw in Strawberry last week was closed for fire hazard other than main residential roads. I don't know if you can do your intended route.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #7785
SouthWestRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
[QUOTE=Reidy008;19076535]Grab a slime pump and you should be able to get an adapter for your power outlet on your bike and your air problems are taken care of. They come with a few different power attachments but I don't think the BMW outlet is one. I know Helmet Center usually has one in stock but you can get them at alot of places. Are the tires tubless on those bikes or tubed? Hopeflly you are prepared in case of a flat. 20 pounds should be very comfortable for the type of riding you are doing off road.

I have an F800GS and have the slime pump (Cycle Gear) - works great. I bought the 12V adapter at Victory BMW in Chandler. I run about 5-7 lbs less than the recommended 32/34 on TKC80s.
SouthWestRider is offline   Reply With Quote