ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #871
studley
Lord and Master

Oddometer: 677
Four Peaks is a freeway! You can take a car over the top. Watch out for the quads and 4 wheels. The east side is a little slick on the turns. Several places where too fast and over the side you go!!

Please don't ask how I know.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #872
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,874
There are a few good sized holes and a few rocks on the Four Peaks road. Joy and I went 2-up on the V-strom over it though.
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #873
Dietrich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I hope its a realatively easy ride.

I have sportbike experience & need to get used to...

1) Not getting the sphincter factor when I see a pebble on the road!

2) Actually using the rear brake!

HA!!
Dietrich
Dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #874
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,874
What kind of bike will you be on?

I think the biggest mistake most people make when coming from a sportbike background into the dirt is simply going too fast for the conditions. That's a pretty mild ride though. Just take it easy and have fun!
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #875
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
I have sportbike experience & need to get used to...

1) Not getting the sphincter factor when I see a pebble on the road!

2) Actually using the rear brake!

HA!!
Dietrich
In Enduros u must keep ur bikes under engine brake no matter what to reduce usage of z breaks . before turns i use front break first and slight pressure on rear break. because if u use rear brake first z bike tent to fishtale a little spacially if ur comin' a little fast on z turns try to apply front brake now and u will low side on dirt . my style is brake first & shift ur weight in second ( Marc Coma style ) if u apply it right u will be able to freeze ur bike even in z middle of z turn .
From Dakar 2007
first initiate ur breaks + focus on turnin'

second shift ur weight and gas it up

i hope you'll have a good practice ...
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #876
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dietrich
FYI... There are a couple of us planning a ride on Saturday. Below is what we've come up with so far.

PATH: We're thinking 4 Peaks - Pumkin Center - Rosevelt Dam - Tortilla Flats - Home.

MEET: Superpumper Gas Station across street from Scottsdale Healthcare Shea @ 8:45.
It's 1 light to the East of Hwy 101 on Shea Blvd (North West Corner of intersection.

Give me a hollar if you can make it. We're going to finalize everything on Friday.

John
John,
Do you mind if I join you? I'd meet you at the Four Peaks staging area just off the Beeline on the Four Peaks road.

Quote:
What's the difficulty level? I know the Rosevelt Dam to Tortilla Flats trail is graded dirt road, how's the rest?
Four Peaks is difficulty level 3.
Apache Trail (Roosevelt Dam to Tortilla Flats trail ) is 1.

Rating 1: The trail is graded dirt but suitable for a normal passenger vehicle. It usually has gentle grades, is fairly wide, and has very shallow water crossings (if any).

Rating 2: High-clearance vehicles are preferred but not necessary. These trails are dirt roads, but they may have rocks, grades, water crossings, or ruts that make clearance a concern in a normal passenger vehicle. The trails are fairly wide, making passing possible at almost any point along the trail. Mud is not a concern under normal weather conditions.

Rating 3: High-clearance 4WDs are preferred, but any high-clearance vehicle is acceptable. Expect a rough road surface; mud and sand are possible but will be easily passable. You may encounter rocks up to 6 inches in diameter, a loose road surface, and shelf roads though these will be wide enough for passing or will have adequate pull-offs.
DangerMoney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #877
Dietrich
Adventurer

Anyone is more than welcome to ride on Saturday with us. I'm also planning on meeting the club on Sunday for a ride. This is my weekend free from the Nugget! Give me a call before Saturday 9:00am if anyone is gonna make it. It will be a pretty casual ride if you want. You can do whatever speed feels best for you. I don't mind waiting, nor wil anyone else. Besides, I still have my training wheels on & I can't go over 6K rpms.

My street riding is long gone since I've moved here. I still take a trip or 2 to CO every summer when possible w/ the R1. Now it will be a tough choice on which bike to ride!!!!!!!

DRZEDDY: Thanks a lot for the pointers.

** I am also taking Monday off if there are any takers on a ride!!!

Dietrich
Old 03-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #878
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermakerGuy
First of all,
To all of the attendees and especially Lauri and Robin - Thanks for the great time at the LUAU!
I was just killing a little time at work, and saw this eye catching thread.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444516
If you use the promo code, Gordon23, during the Check Out phase of purchasing you basically get the unit for free!
I just went through the process and it was simple and clean.
Guy
Guy,
I just completed the Spot purchase process, you were right, Pretty much pain free and you get the unit free. I think the final cost for the Spot unit, Spot tracking service and emergency service was $169.
If anyone else want to take advantage of this you might want to hurry I think the webb site said the offer ends March 27th.
Don
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #879
ShinySideUpAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Have Radios

I will bring my GMRS/FRS radio to Saturday's ride, anyone else wired for audio?
STOC#6086 SWR#177
'05 ST1300 '01 BMW F650GS ABS

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” Albert Einstein, 1931
ShinySideUpAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #880
Chick4KLRs OP
Adventure in my Soul

Oddometer: 522
2 Rides to Choose From...

Looks like there are options for us this weekend.

A 4-peaks ride
and
AZ Bike Week AMA Dual Sport Ride

Here is the link for the AZ Bike Week ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423240

We will still have a meeting this coming Sunday at 8am. Perhaps a short ride after the meeting.

Have a SAFE weekend

P.S. I would like to do the Bike Week ride but have never done something like it and not sure what to do or what to expect. I read that Nightstalker helped navigate and that scares me. Although I trust his routing, Im not sure if Im experienced enough to complete the route. Does anyone have any tips or insight for me?? also since Im late getting news, I may have to enter as a walk up. I PMd the director and asked if there might be room. Waiting to hear back from him. Any advice?

Living life, making friends...one rider at a time. ~Richard (1916-2007)

Chick4KLRs screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 06:13 PM
Chick4KLRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM   #881
redeye-az
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
ma'm, or can i say "girlfriend",...... do the ride, do the "c" route....
terry (aka nightstalker) is riding sweep on that route. (bring tube for terry).
i've ridden with n/s, big dogs bark loud, he is a good dude......
other members have input on the routes too...
sometimes ya gotta q.f.a. and dive............
look for the camo 690e & say "boo"...........redeye.....db
redeye-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #882
Dietrich
Adventurer

Didn't know there was another ride on Saturday!! Will talk with the people on Friday what's the game plan!

I'm always into the BBD (Bigger Better Deal)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dietrich
Old 03-26-2009, 08:40 PM   #883
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Sunday's ride

Me & Nuclieye are going for a ride on Sunday most likely are going for this one
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.669479&z=11http:// here

It's goin' to be a fast pace ride and possibly might alter z route once we get to Cherry rd.
Notice : it might get a little technical on NF261 & Cherry rd to C. Verde.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM   #884
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,925
Come on up and do the dual sport ride. There are 3 levels, A, B, and C. The C route is the Adventure ride, it's geared for big heavy GS bikes. Yardstick could do it 2 up on his Strom. The B ride is the C ride plus some harder dualsport sections. The A ride is the B ride with some HERO loops thrown in. My normal rides would be rated A+ on this scale. 95% of the C ride is just like Castle Hot Springs Rd. No 7 mile sand wash like last year (at least, not on the C ride).

I'll be sweeping the C route (unless I'm needed to do something other than that). Helping anyone that might be stuck, need a hand, or have a mechanical problem.

It's a super fun ride and the C route into Jerome is SPECTACULAR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick4KLRs
Looks like there are options for us this weekend.

A 4-peaks ride
and
AZ Bike Week AMA Dual Sport Ride

Here is the link for the AZ Bike Week ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423240

We will still have a meeting this coming Sunday at 8am. Perhaps a short ride after the meeting.

Have a SAFE weekend

P.S. I would like to do the Bike Week ride but have never done something like it and not sure what to do or what to expect. I read that Nightstalker helped navigate and that scares me. Although I trust his routing, Im not sure if Im experienced enough to complete the route. Does anyone have any tips or insight for me?? also since Im late getting news, I may have to enter as a walk up. I PMd the director and asked if there might be room. Waiting to hear back from him. Any advice?

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #885
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

it would be awsome to join u Terry but i only have Sunday open for now i hope z rest are able to . i did most of it last sept. . Enjoy it & ride safe was ur tank $expensive$ to fix or replace ??