Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Peadjis OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Converting KTM 350 XCF-W

Hello all,
I'm a bit green on this website and to bikes in general. A few weeks ago I picked up a 2014 KTM 350 XCF-W and have been having a blast riding backroads and trails.

Anyways, I figured the bike would be nice for commuting in the summer months and getting from trail to trail on the road would be easier than having to load it on the truck everytime. So I've been looking around for a decent conversion kit to make it street legal. I have been having a bit of trouble with it until recently I came across a kit that seemed fairly reasonable and looked O.K as far as I could tell...however given my extremely limited(more so non-existant) knowledge in this department, I find myself in need of a second opinion.

Here is the website I found the kit on http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm

I was considering the flush mounted tail light/signals and no headlight as my bike came with one.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Peadjis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:57 AM   #2
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Baja Designs make some nice kits, I think the Procycle stuff is very similar, if not the the same. Dual sport kits are generally pretty straight forward to install. Just make sure to route wires correctly and make good connections.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 AM   #3
dochstader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You should be aware that, in B.C., you cannot legally license a bike without a manufacturer's NIVUS.
That is why non of the Asian trail bikes are road legal - 'course, you can possible "fudge" if you want to take the risk!

El Mur.
dochstader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 AM   #4
D.T.
Banned

Oddometer: 9,206
Tough question. You will have to see if it's even possible. Not sure how to do it in Canada.

It seems to be a crap shoot in the U.S.

Or just trade it for a street legal EXC.

You may get better answers in the Thumper section.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,064
If, by some miracle, you manage to get it plated, post up how you get it by ICBC. They will run the VIN and it will come up as off-road only. So dont think you will have any luck. Check into this before you spend money on a kit...

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Peadjis OP
n00b

Interesting, thanks a lot for the responses. At the dealer the salesperson assured me it was possible to make it street legal multiple times...Seems I have been misled by him.

I will give him a ring and see what he has to say about it.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
D.T.
Banned

Oddometer: 9,206
I wanna hear how this turns out!

"the dealer assured me"
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 AM   #8
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Here in PA, if you get a title with the bike that is branded "MC", you are good to go. Just got get a plate and put proper lights on it. If the title is branded "OHV", you will need to jump through a bunch of hoops to make the bike street legal and have the tittle reconstructed to "MC ". Here in PA all KTMs come with "MC" titles, most of the Jap bikes come with OHV titles (I had two WR250's that came with MC titles, I just got lucky with those).
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Peadjis OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

"the dealer assured me"
You will, dealer hasn't gotten back to me however, today is a holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Here in PA, if you get a title with the bike that is branded "MC", you are good to go. Just got get a plate and put proper lights on it. If the title is branded "OHV", you will need to jump through a bunch of hoops to make the bike street legal and have the tittle reconstructed to "MC ". Here in PA all KTMs come with "MC" titles, most of the Jap bikes come with OHV titles (I had two WR250's that came with MC titles, I just got lucky with those).
Thanks for the information.

Can you please tell me where to find if my bike is MC or OHV?
Old Today, 07:10 AM   #10
Peadjis OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post

"the dealer assured me"
The dealer took responsibility saying time and time again "It is our fault" and that they will fix it for me. He then wanted me to pay 1500 dollars to exchange my week old barely riden bike for an excf 350 and that he could order one in 3 days because there are plenty around. When I went in to negotiate regarding this he then said no sorry can't get ANY EXC-F models anymore. We can only order a 2015 and it would be around 3000 dollars to change your bike for it.

So after almost 2 weeks of bickering with him I am taking the bike back.
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #11
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Don't pay a dime! Get your money back and let him take the hit. He sold you the wrong bike.

2011 FE 570
2003 ZX12R
Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #12
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,617
Wow, just...wow! Please keep us up to date on this one. Your sales person should be unemployed after this. He would be if he worked for me.

fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 PM   #13
Peadjis OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Don't pay a dime! Get your money back and let him take the hit. He sold you the wrong bike.

2011 FE 570
2003 ZX12R
Life is good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
Wow, just...wow! Please keep us up to date on this one. Your sales person should be unemployed after this. He would be if he worked for me.

Took the bike in today, he said he can't give me the money now because his "secretary isn't in". But he agreed to pay me my money back.

They have two lovely 16-18 year old kids working there who were like oh so what did you do to it? what's wrong with it? Apparently these guys are their mechanics....up town joint alright....

Seems like they're trying to do everything to try and get around paying but not on my watch.

I have contacted some dealers in the area to see if it is true that there are no 2014 EXC models left. Because I really doubt he is telling the truth.