ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #15256
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZXRaziel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Ok sounds great. This is what I was planning on doing. Do you use cheap hose or the expensive motion pro?
Pro motion for the piggie to keep it reliable as tank
__________________
good things them hondas
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #15257
Desertskyy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Boise Idaho area and So Cal
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim86 View Post
So I changed the front sprocket this morning on my XRR. While I was adjusting the left rear axle adjuster it decided to snap clean off inside the swing arm. Now instead of going a nice dirt ride I'm heading to the parts store to a) try to find a replacement bolt and b) buy a couple of new drill bits and an easy out. Damnit!
Another option:
Look in to just drilling out and re-tapping for a KTM 525 adjuster bolt. It is a little bigger than the Honda. My buddy did this to his 650R and has put on 1000s of mile with out any issues. You may want to drill and tap a small hole on the bottom of the swing arm so you can spray some lube on the inside of the bolt and to also drain out any water that may become trapped in the swing arm. I did this and I just capped off the hole with a SS flat head allen bolt.

Just my .02

Good luck
Desertskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #15258
DOD
idiot dirt rider
 
DOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,350
normal R oil consumption

Mine used about 500 ml of oil during yesterday's ride. A 150 mile mix of desert two track, some high speed deep sand, 50 to 60 mph cruising and one 2nd gear low side in the rocks (crap!).

I know that the R is known to burn some but this seems high.

Thanks to those who have posted the starting technique tips. Following the procedure mine starts within a few kicks every time.


-dod
__________________
This is my only chance to assemble a disreputable past
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #15259
RalphyDo
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Mine used about 500 ml of oil during yesterday's ride. A 150 mile mix of desert two track, some high speed deep sand, 50 to 60 mph cruising and one 2nd gear low side in the rocks (crap!).

I know that the R is known to burn some but this seems high.

Thanks to those who have posted the starting technique tips. Following the procedure mine starts within a few kicks every time.


-dod

What oil and what weight are you running?
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #15260
DOD
idiot dirt rider
 
DOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
What oil and what weight are you running?
Honda HP4 syn blend 10w-40

-dod
__________________
This is my only chance to assemble a disreputable past
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #15261
RalphyDo
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Honda HP4 syn blend 10w-40

-dod

Dump the syn-blend and go conventional. Swap to Rotella T 10w40. Almost guarantee that the oil consumption with all but disappear. Give it a try, you have nothing to loss. If that doesn't cure it then you need to look into doing a top end. 500ml in 150 miles is not very good at all.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 AM   #15262
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
Dump the syn-blend and go conventional. Swap to Rotella T 10w40. Almost guarantee that the oil consumption with all but disappear. Give it a try, you have nothing to loss. If that doesn't cure it then you need to look into doing a top end. 500ml in 150 miles is not very good at all.
Is there anything I can do to prevent the chain adjusting bolts from snapping off when I try to use them? Anti-sieze and lots of penetrating oil before hand?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #15263
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
babuja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
What is max. flow rate with stock carb in the XR? Any idea?

I would like to select a XR 650R fuel filter for stock carbs but would like to confirm maximum flow rate...anyone could help?
__________________
Cheers guys
Babuja
________
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #15264
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite
 
jesusgatos's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: on the road
Oddometer: 2,384
All of our 650R's consumed oil. Even brand new ones.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:43 PM   #15265
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com
 
DocAxeYarYar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 784
Rear Axel Adj Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim86 View Post
So I changed the front sprocket this morning on my XRR. While I was adjusting the left rear axle adjuster it decided to snap clean off inside the swing arm. Now instead of going a nice dirt ride I'm heading to the parts store to a) try to find a replacement bolt and b) buy a couple of new drill bits and an easy out. Damnit!
Here is another good fix I recommend. Make sure you drill straight!
The chain adjusting bolts snapped off in the swingarm, due to corrosion on the threads.
All I can say is thank goodness for the SwingArm Buddy!
The most difficult (and most important) part of the procedure is drilling out the broken bolts. You have to work your way up to with two smaller diameter drill bits before using the 3/8" bit provided in the kit. At least one of the smaller bits needs to be extra-long, otherwise your it will not clear the swingarm and you will drill crooked. Also critical, is making a very deep center punch mark - in the center of the broken bolt. I hit the center punch several times to be sure to get a deep punch mark. The finished 3/8" hole must be centered in the swingarm... not a procedure for the squeamish!
The kit makes a very solid repair and I applied anti-seize to the new adjusting bolts. The only down-side to the kit, is the new bolts are 5/16" american, which means you have to use a 1/2 wrench to adjust your chain, which may mean having to pack an extra wrench in your tool kit, although you might still get away with using a 13mm metric.
The steel insert is slightly over-sized compared to the 3/8" drill bit, so it is a good press fit into the swingarm.







__________________
My XR650R Build:
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2748.0
DocAxeYarYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #15266
DOD
idiot dirt rider
 
DOD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Phoenix
Oddometer: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
All of our 650R's consumed oil. Even brand new ones.

It seems that it is normal for the 650R to consume some oil, especially at high power settings. The question is "how much is some?". I've had two-strokes that don't burn 1/2 liter in a day's ride.

It starts easy and runs like a red rocket so I'm just going to ride it and try to remember to check the oil more often.

Thanks,
dod
__________________
This is my only chance to assemble a disreputable past
DOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #15267
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Is there anything I can do to prevent the chain adjusting bolts from snapping off when I try to use them? Anti-sieze and lots of penetrating oil before hand?
If yours are not stuck yet, drill a small hole (3/32" diameter or so), vertically, in the bottom of the swingarm, just in front of the weld of the axle block. This will allow water to drain out and provided a 'port' to periodically spray WD40 or some other lubricant/protectant onto the bolt on the inside. Did this to my BRP and KTM and wasn't too surprised to find water pouring out...
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #15268
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
If yours are not stuck yet, drill a small hole (3/32" diameter or so), vertically, in the bottom of the swingarm, just in front of the weld of the axle block. This will allow water to drain out and provided a 'port' to periodically spray WD40 or some other lubricant/protectant onto the bolt on the inside. Did this to my BRP and KTM and wasn't too surprised to find water pouring out...
I just bought this bike a few months ago and have not touched the chain yet. Lets assume it is semi stuck. What can I do to extract the bolt without breaking it? Am I pretty much screwed?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #15269
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I just bought this bike a few months ago and have not touched the chain yet. Lets assume it is semi stuck. What can I do to extract the bolt without breaking it? Am I pretty much screwed?
Time and patience. Unscrew as much as you can without stripping/breaking it. Dab on some penetrating oil on the threads closest to the swingarm, screw it back in as far as you can...repeat. Also, drill the hole as I mentioned above, and spray penetrating oil on the bolt on the inside.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #15270
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Time and patience. Unscrew as much as you can without stripping/breaking it. Dab on some penetrating oil on the threads closest to the swingarm, screw it back in as far as you can...repeat. Also, drill the hole as I mentioned above, and spray penetrating oil on the bolt on the inside.
Ok sounds good. I have no idea if mine are stuck, but I am going to use a lot of caution when I remove them.

Is heat safe to use in that area? You think I can get a picture of where you drilled, I am still sorta confused where. Thanks!
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015