Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #15256
RalphyDo
Banned

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy View Post
G'day all, just wondering if anyone has seen or knows of any plastic molded frame guards for the xr. We can get aluminium ones, but I would prefer some molded plastic if they were available. Thanks for any assistance.

Nope, never seen any plastic ones, ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
The stock Honda guard is molded plastic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Negative, Honda never made frame guards for the XRR, neither plastic nor any other material.
RalphyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #15257
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Yes that will do , but always carry a spare one ( they are cheap and they do get clogget up after some time ).
if you are using the stock tank and carb there is not much space to place the filter , my solution was to get good quality long fuel pipe and create loop just over two inches in size , cut it in the middle and install the filter , ( the stock fuel line is too short ) , i cannot post the picture as this site does not suport this function , and i am not signing to stupid photobucket and similar incredibely slow sites .
What is max. flow rate with stock carb in the XR? Any idea?
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #15258
Slim86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Pissed Oops(damnit!)

So I changed the front sprocket this morning on my XRR. While I was adjusting the left rear axle adjuster it decided to snap clean off inside the swing arm. Now instead of going a nice dirt ride I'm heading to the parts store to a) try to find a replacement bolt and b) buy a couple of new drill bits and an easy out. Damnit!
Slim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #15259
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
I would not easy out they break in this small of a size. then it is really a pain. just drill it out and tap new. if you do try the ez out get a can of that air spray (like for a key board) flip the can up side down and freeze the bolt once you are ready to use the ez out have the hole drilled and ready to go. maybe that will work. if the ez out breaks you will need to chip it out good luck. then drill it out. B
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #15260
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Drill it out larger and insert heli-coils.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #15261
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Ok sounds great. This is what I was planning on doing. Do you use cheap hose or the expensive motion pro?
Pro motion for the piggie to keep it reliable as tank
Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM   #15262
Desertskyy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim86 View Post
So I changed the front sprocket this morning on my XRR. While I was adjusting the left rear axle adjuster it decided to snap clean off inside the swing arm. Now instead of going a nice dirt ride I'm heading to the parts store to a) try to find a replacement bolt and b) buy a couple of new drill bits and an easy out. Damnit!
Another option:
Look in to just drilling out and re-tapping for a KTM 525 adjuster bolt. It is a little bigger than the Honda. My buddy did this to his 650R and has put on 1000s of mile with out any issues. You may want to drill and tap a small hole on the bottom of the swing arm so you can spray some lube on the inside of the bolt and to also drain out any water that may become trapped in the swing arm. I did this and I just capped off the hole with a SS flat head allen bolt.

Just my .02

Good luck
Desertskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #15263
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
normal R oil consumption

Mine used about 500 ml of oil during yesterday's ride. A 150 mile mix of desert two track, some high speed deep sand, 50 to 60 mph cruising and one 2nd gear low side in the rocks (crap!).

I know that the R is known to burn some but this seems high.

Thanks to those who have posted the starting technique tips. Following the procedure mine starts within a few kicks every time.

-dod
Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #15264
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Mine used about 500 ml of oil during yesterday's ride. A 150 mile mix of desert two track, some high speed deep sand, 50 to 60 mph cruising and one 2nd gear low side in the rocks (crap!).

I know that the R is known to burn some but this seems high.

Thanks to those who have posted the starting technique tips. Following the procedure mine starts within a few kicks every time.

-dod

What oil and what weight are you running?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #15265
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
What oil and what weight are you running?
Honda HP4 syn blend 10w-40

-dod
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #15266
RalphyDo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
Honda HP4 syn blend 10w-40

-dod

Dump the syn-blend and go conventional. Swap to Rotella T 10w40. Almost guarantee that the oil consumption with all but disappear. Give it a try, you have nothing to loss. If that doesn't cure it then you need to look into doing a top end. 500ml in 150 miles is not very good at all.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #15267
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphyDo View Post
Dump the syn-blend and go conventional. Swap to Rotella T 10w40. Almost guarantee that the oil consumption with all but disappear. Give it a try, you have nothing to loss. If that doesn't cure it then you need to look into doing a top end. 500ml in 150 miles is not very good at all.
Is there anything I can do to prevent the chain adjusting bolts from snapping off when I try to use them? Anti-sieze and lots of penetrating oil before hand?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #15268
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
What is max. flow rate with stock carb in the XR? Any idea?

I would like to select a XR 650R fuel filter for stock carbs but would like to confirm maximum flow rate...anyone could help?
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #15269
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
All of our 650R's consumed oil. Even brand new ones.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #15270
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 757
Rear Axel Adj Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim86 View Post
Here is another good fix I recommend. Make sure you drill straight!
The chain adjusting bolts snapped off in the swingarm, due to corrosion on the threads.
All I can say is thank goodness for the SwingArm Buddy!
The most difficult (and most important) part of the procedure is drilling out the broken bolts. You have to work your way up to with two smaller diameter drill bits before using the 3/8" bit provided in the kit. At least one of the smaller bits needs to be extra-long, otherwise your it will not clear the swingarm and you will drill crooked. Also critical, is making a very deep center punch mark - in the center of the broken bolt. I hit the center punch several times to be sure to get a deep punch mark. The finished 3/8" hole must be centered in the swingarm... not a procedure for the squeamish!
The kit makes a very solid repair and I applied anti-seize to the new adjusting bolts. The only down-side to the kit, is the new bolts are 5/16" american, which means you have to use a 1/2 wrench to adjust your chain, which may mean having to pack an extra wrench in your tool kit, although you might still get away with using a 13mm metric.
The steel insert is slightly over-sized compared to the 3/8" drill bit, so it is a good press fit into the swingarm.