Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #15556
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Some went through a Honda shop in Denver.
That's where mine came from. I bought it from a guy near Denver that bought it from that shop a few months prior.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #15557
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
Big toad at 44 seconds in do you say Berted up?
No I said I was burning up...It was high noon and very hot that day, something like 35c (95F). To make it worse the ditch I was lying in was acting like a solar collector. At one point I said they have to get my boots off as it felt like my soles were literally burning, which naturally rendered my size 14 tech 8's as garbage.....I knew that was going to happen from first hand experience....... that's why I took my rally jacket off before anyone showed up, it was about the only gear that escaped getting cut off.
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #15558
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
I did this:

Same idea, cheaper to build, doesn't look as good -
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #15559
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Why is my XRR spitting oil from Dipstick?

Once the revs get going on freeway , she starts dribbling up oil on dipstick. It is tight and has a good o-ring. Valves need adjusting, carburetor is getting cleaned and new float bowl gasket, and oil is being changed next week. Does the Cometic head gasket have to be changed if head comes off and it is good right now?

Oh yeah, why would it spit oil from dipstick and sometimes from intake side plastic drip tube?
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #15560
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
Once the revs get going on freeway , she starts dribbling up oil on dipstick.

Oh yeah, why would it spit oil from dipstick and sometimes from intake side plastic drip tube?

Crankcase vent pinched or it's time for rings? Valves could be so tight they're not closing fully, that'd get some compression into the crankcase?
Old 12-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #15561
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
I'll check the vent and the valves... are loose and making noise, hence adjustment.
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #15562
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuana View Post
valves... are loose and making noise, hence adjustment.

Loose? That's not good, better check the followers and rocker arm shafts and bushings.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #15563
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
XR650X AVrider's,

I need some help deciding the best way to scratch my dirt bike itch. I currently ride a BMW R1200GSA. Great bike but it is pretty expensive and emotional to scratch and break so I am looking for something better suited for the mountains and desert of Arizona. I have narrowed it down to either the XR650R or CRF450X. At the age of 44 I will not be doing flips on either one. Either will be an earlier version '00-'07 set up with large capacity fuel tank. I understand the weigh vs power trade offs. Is one more maintenance intensive then the other? Is one cheaper to farkle-out with aftermarket's? Any thoughts is appreciated. Thanks for your inputs.
The XR and CRF are both really good, fun bikes and both pretty easy to live with. I'd favor a CRF (I prefer the R version) for shorter rides--say <100 miles roughly and the XRR for longer rides. The XRR is more comfortable and just eats up the miles, especially higher speed desert miles. It requires less frequent maintenance as well. The CRF is a little lighter and feels a whole lot lighter. It has more modern/competition oriented ergonomics, better suspension, etc. Power is about the same between an XR650R and CRF-X, but it's easy to make the CRF-X quite a lot faster still and the XR650R is less easy to pimp out and make big power. The XR revs slower and lower and as such hooks up better. In Vegas 2 Reno I easily pulled on CRFs out of corners on dusty dirt roads because I hooked up better. They pulled me out of sandy, bermed corners--less weight and more power.

Both bikes have a strong aftermarket, but there's more support for the CRF-X.

I had both and sold the CRF. Good bike, but for tight, shorter stuff I like my two stroke CR better and for long/open/dual sport stuff I like my XR-R better.

So for an all-around desert sled I'd chose the XR-R. For racing say the SF250 I'd take a CRF over an XRR without a doubt (relatively short race with lots of sand and whoops).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #15564
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Sounds fun!

I'd buy a couple of the 1X under-fender stickers if you would agree to that.

Do you have any of the Hengeveld stickers? It was called "RIDERMAN" and had Henge in full riding gear but posed as Spiderman. I think I have a few somewhere and if I find them I'll mail you one. They are really neat.

I wonder if you couldn't get one of the So Cal dirt bike header shops to fab up a Ti pipe like the one last used? Certainly FMFand PC wouldn't consider it worth their time but some of the smaller guys might. I'd be willing to drop off one of my bikes for them to use to fab it up if they needed.

I'm not surprised they helped you. Was it Siraton? He is VERY proud of those bikes. That bike made his career and he'd got it all written down in notebooks. He's pretty good about sharing too. I dropped my bike off there for some work, alot of work really, in about 2006/7 and he found one of the 1X sticker kits and stickered my bike all up because he was bored and had not much to do. Nice guy...

Let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Thanks Bump, I totally agree with what you say and I expect it to be difficult. It was the rear calliper that Team Honda Racing did not want to talk to me about so I can see that being an issue. There are certain things that I will need to settle for a close match or locally modified replica (ie suspension), but as it is early days I am still hoping to find everything. Slickwill has helped with some detailing so far and I have replicas of the sponsor graphics being made here in Oz, and Precision Concepts/Works Connection/JCR and Pro Circuit have been a great help so far. I have an original scan of the under fender 1X decal with JC signature.

JCR was amazingly helpful and they actually still have the exact bike I am replicating in storage (2005 1x Baja 1000) and have sent through very detailed photos of the bike so that I can use them as a reference. Given that they have just done Baja and the Dakar is coming up soon I thought that they were most helpful.

The guy here in Oz that I got the race muffler from had no idea what he had, so he wanted to use the stock muffler as it was quieter with his race headers. He even went and modified the headers to fit the stock muffler, it was an absolute crime in my mind but hey. Things are only worth as much as your glass of knowledge allows.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #15565
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Succinct!

I like this alot. Not that that is worth anything. But it is really to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The XR and CRF are both really good, fun bikes and both pretty easy to live with. I'd favor a CRF (I prefer the R version) for shorter rides--say <100 miles roughly and the XRR for longer rides. The XRR is more comfortable and just eats up the miles, especially higher speed desert miles. It requires less frequent maintenance as well. The CRF is a little lighter and feels a whole lot lighter. It has more modern/competition oriented ergonomics, better suspension, etc. Power is about the same between an XR650R and CRF-X, but it's easy to make the CRF-X quite a lot faster still and the XR650R is less easy to pimp out and make big power. The XR revs slower and lower and as such hooks up better. In Vegas 2 Reno I easily pulled on CRFs out of corners on dusty dirt roads because I hooked up better. They pulled me out of sandy, bermed corners--less weight and more power.

Both bikes have a strong aftermarket, but there's more support for the CRF-X.

I had both and sold the CRF. Good bike, but for tight, shorter stuff I like my two stroke CR better and for long/open/dual sport stuff I like my XR-R better.

So for an all-around desert sled I'd chose the XR-R. For racing say the SF250 I'd take a CRF over an XRR without a doubt (relatively short race with lots of sand and whoops).

bump screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 03:33 PM Reason: spellen
Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #15566
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I'd buy a couple of the 1X under-fender stickers if you would agree to that.

Do you have any of the Hengeveld stickers? It was called "RIDERMAN" and had Henge in full riding gear but posed as Spiderman. I think I have a few somewhere and if I find them I'll mail you one. They are really neat.

I wonder if you couldn't get one of the So Cal dirt bike header shops to fab up a Ti pipe like the one last used? Certainly FMFand PC wouldn't consider it worth their time but some of the smaller guys might. I'd be willing to drop off one of my bikes for them to use to fab it up if they needed.

I'm not surprised they helped you. Was it Siraton? He is VERY proud of those bikes. That bike made his career and he'd got it all written down in notebooks. He's pretty good about sharing too. I dropped my bike off there for some work, alot of work really, in about 2006/7 and he found one of the 1X sticker kits and stickered my bike all up because he was bored and had not much to do. Nice guy...

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks Bump, I am waiting to see how good the quality of the locally printed stickers will be before getting duplicates made, but assuming they are good I will get a few made and send one your way for sure ( I got the exact size scan too). I will also get a few of the logo decal sets made up (rear fender and side covers), just in case I ever change plastics again. No one seems to have them anymore, I'm guessing you were probably given the last set! They did have slightly different sponsor logos each year, especially on the rear fender.

I have seen the Hengeveld sticker in a few poor quality photos from a distance, would be awesome to get one if you can!

It was Joe Lloyd at JCR who has been helpful, but everyone I have contacted via email have been helpful, which is more than can be said about Pro Circuit. It is understandable though, email is never the best way to have passionate dialogue.

Thanks for the offer with the exhaust idea, I will certainly keep this in mind if the XR's only headers don't quite do it once I rebuild the bike. An interesting response I got from Pro Circuit, they reckon they never made a Ti system for the BRP at all..... There seems to be a lot of confusion about the race system and what it is made of.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #15567
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
An interesting response I got from Pro Circuit, they reckon they never made a Ti system for the BRP at all..... There seems to be a lot of confusion about the race system and what it is made of.
Hmm, interesting. Mine definitely looks and feels like Ti.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #15568
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Will look for the sticker over xmas break

I'll look for that sticker soon.

There are also two versions of the front fender sticker that says Suspension by XXX. I think the old one says Suspension by Bob Bell and is black with reverse type. I have the set on my bike, Diane gave my oldest daughter a set for her sticker collection and was hanging in her room until we moved and I'm not sure where it is now. Plus, I bought a set or two when Diane was selling the remaining sets on eBay. I assume what I have are the last version but I don't know and have never compared so they may be from different years. I think I have both versions of the suspension sticker.

Quote:
Thanks Bump, I am waiting to see how good the quality of the locally printed stickers will be before getting duplicates made, but assuming they are good I will get a few made and send one your way for sure ( I got the exact size scan too). I will also get a few of the logo decal sets made up (rear fender and side covers), just in case I ever change plastics again. No one seems to have them anymore, I'm guessing you were probably given the last set! They did have slightly different sponsor logos each year, especially on the rear fender.

Pro Circuit is a huge company for the dirt bike world and they probably have employees who never heard of the XR650R.

Just keep your eye on CL and if you find something you can have it shipped to me and I will repack it and ship it to you. If it is local I will try to go and retrieve it for you. I have a good friend in Poland I do that for and it has worked out well.

I'll PM you my email addy.

I have seen the Hengeveld sticker in a few poor quality photos from a distance, would be awesome to get one if you can!

It was Joe Lloyd at JCR who has been helpful, but everyone I have contacted via email have been helpful, which is more than can be said about Pro Circuit. It is understandable though, email is never the best way to have passionate dialogue.

Thanks for the offer with the exhaust idea, I will certainly keep this in mind if the XR's only headers don't quite do it once I rebuild the bike. An interesting response I got from Pro Circuit, they reckon they never made a Ti system for the BRP at all..... There seems to be a lot of confusion about the race system and what it is made of.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #15569
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
EBC 320 mm rotor

EBC 320mm rotor on a USD XR650R available for the stock forks as well.
I dont work for EBC but I like there Products
This would work well on heavy bikes set-up for adv riding

FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:51 AM   #15570
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Will I need a different chain slider for a 43 tooth sprocket? It has what I believe is the original one, a white plastic unit with the rubber only on the bottom.
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote