Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #15601
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I'd read in the GPS section, but seems to me the Garmin 60CSX is the hot ticket for dual sporters. Depends what your need is. Personally, I use the Garmin Foretrex 401 which serves my desert needs perfectly.

RZ Rob
+1 on the Garmin 60 series, they are great off road and make a surprisingly good turn by turn road sat nav too and they use AA batteries so easy to replace.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #15602
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
What GPS is everyone using? I'm looking to get one for on/off road driving. Any Suggestions?
might get more helpful info here, unless you're specifically asking for opinions from BRP riders?
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #15603
mrfallover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Is the cover straight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Anybody have any tips to keep the damn oil filter cover from leaking? Mine is currently leaking from the bottom left area. I took it off and inspected the gasket (I used a new one last oil change) and its fine, placed it back on the cover and torqued it to spec. Oil is still leaking out of the same spot. What the hell.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #15604
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfallover View Post
Is the cover straight?
It appears to be, it was not really leaking before from what I could tell, guess I could order another cover.

This is my first oil change since I bought the bike, just wondering if this is a common issue. I have the bolts torqued right.

medisyn screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 11:03 AM
medisyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #15605
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
What GPS is everyone using? I'm looking to get one for on/off road driving. Any Suggestions?
I prefer the screen size of the Montana, I note that's what Colebatch uses it on the Sibirsky Extreme ride partially because it holds a massive amount of waypoints

On the XRR I had to stick an ear plug behind the plastic that holds battery otherwise it shuts off soon as it gets rough.
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #15606
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
I prefer the screen size of the Montana, I note that's what Colebatch uses it on the Sibirsky Extreme ride partially because it holds a massive amount of waypoints

On the XRR I had to stick an ear plug behind the plastic that holds battery otherwise it shuts off soon as it gets rough.
my rino 530 was doing that ( like the 60 ) a new battery fixed it.
How are you feeling Big toad?
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #15607
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfallover View Post
Is the cover straight?
Quote:
It appears to be, it was not really leaking before from what I could tell, guess I could order another cover.

This is my first oil change since I bought the bike, just wondering if this is a common issue. I have the bolts torqued right.
Also recently made my first oil change on my BRP... I'm at work right now so I can't confirm it, but I think it's important to tighten the bolts in a certain order. Start to tight from the lower bolts & tighten them cross wise to the top (kind of rolling the cover in place ...). You can find some videos on Youtube that walk you through the oil change & I also think you get tightening instructions from the workshop manual.

ADVSearcher screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:42 AM
ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #15608
demomanmc
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:

Make sure the filter was installed in the correct orientation. Some of the aftermarket filters don't have the markings. Don't ask me how I found out.
demomanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #15609
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by demomanmc View Post
Make sure the filter was installed in the correct orientation. Some of the aftermarket filters don't have the markings. Don't ask me how I found out.
Don't over analyze the filter installation. A tightening sequece isn't needed, just run them down somewhat evenly and don't over torque them. As for filter orientation, there's a front and back, that's it!

If it tightens down and still leaks from the cover then:

A- the o-ring is damaged
B- the cover is damaged or warped
C- something foreign is in the sealing area.

I've probably got 15~20 oil changes on the original o-ring, no leaks. I place the filter and spring in the cavity, place the cover (cleaned) with o-ring installed on, hold it down with one hand and hand tighten the bolts with the other. Snug 'em up with an 8mm and it's done.

There's plenty of procedures where the manual will have you jumping through hoops when it's not necessisary.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #15610
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post

I've never had to do that on my Oregon, but I do it on my Spot.

The Oregon (for what I paid) has served me very well. I'd go Montana for my next one because of better screen. Otherwise I'll run my Oregon into the ground first.

Don't plan on either unless they are powered. Makes using a GPS 100x better.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #15611
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Reassembling my clutch after replacing the clutch center, should I just coat the clutch bushing (the one that's still in it) and everything with oil when I put it back together, or use some type of grease on the clutch bushing and maybe end of the lifter rod? Also if I should put grease on that clutch bushing, what type, and should I coat the thing inside and out?
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #15612
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Don't over analyze the filter installation. A tightening sequece isn't needed, just run them down somewhat evenly and don't over torque them. As for filter orientation, there's a front and back, that's it!

If it tightens down and still leaks from the cover then:

A- the o-ring is damaged
B- the cover is damaged or warped
C- something foreign is in the sealing area.

I've probably got 15~20 oil changes on the original o-ring, no leaks. I place the filter and spring in the cavity, place the cover (cleaned) with o-ring installed on, hold it down with one hand and hand tighten the bolts with the other. Snug 'em up with an 8mm and it's done.

There's plenty of procedures where the manual will have you jumping through hoops when it's not necessisary.
This is pretty much what I did the first time and the second. I third try is always worth a shot!
medisyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #15613
juri.tabain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
RTW - which spark plug?

Still prepping the bike for the long haul - which spark plug would you guys suggest? Running an BKR8E-11 now, as listed in the manualfor longer high speed rides. Unfortunately NGK do not make an iridium version of this one. The BKR7E-11 has an iridium brother though - and I really prefer those due do outlasting reliability...
Thinking about going for a few 7EIX ones and take a usual 8 spare and closely check the engine temp.

Any experiance and help appreciated...

Oh and there will be a bike build thread soon...
juri.tabain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM   #15614
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 138
Bike starts without choke...

Morning gents...

I've been commuting on my XRR to and from work for the last year or so and it just occured to me that I never have to set the choke to start the bike, regardless of how cold the motor is. Sure, when cold, I have to keep the idle up by applying a small amount of throttle to keep the motor from dying until it warms up. The bike has been 'uncorked', rejetted and all that. Oh, I've never been able to start the bike with the choke on. Hmmm...

Is this indicative of anything that I might need to change, jetting-wise or otherwise? The bike rides fine, has plenty of power (I think), and gets around mid thirties to the gallon.

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #15615
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Morning gents...

I've been commuting on my XRR to and from work for the last year or so and it just occured to me that I never have to set the choke to start the bike, regardless of how cold the motor is. Sure, when cold, I have to keep the idle up by applying a small amount of throttle to keep the motor from dying until it warms up. The bike has been 'uncorked', rejetted and all that. Oh, I've never been able to start the bike with the choke on. Hmmm...

Is this indicative of anything that I might need to change, jetting-wise or otherwise? The bike rides fine, has plenty of power (I think), and gets around mid thirties to the gallon.

Thanks!!
sounds like your pilot could be a bit rich. post your jet numbers and you will get more input. As you may know, you would rather be too rich than too lean. IDK, i rarely use choke either just initial start, then flip it off, let it warm up a few minutes then depart. I'm sure it is fine.