Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #15886
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,197
The extra-large tanks like the Acerbis 6-gal do provide an excellent amount of radiator protection from sideways tip-overs. I never have noticed the sloshing of the fuel with half-empty tanks, and you don't HAVE to fill them up all the way for those shorter sections....But you WILL notice the difference in suspension when the tank is full.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #15887
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
The extra-large tanks like the Acerbis 6-gal do provide an excellent amount of radiator protection from sideways tip-overs. I never have noticed the sloshing of the fuel with half-empty tanks, and you don't HAVE to fill them up all the way for those shorter sections....But you WILL notice the difference in suspension when the tank is full.

I'd sooner ride my 6.3 full than my 4.3 full.

That says a lot.

My suspension is revalved and resprung though. I'm 200ish without gear. I could stand to have a bit firmer springs both front and rear when loaded down. Problem is I do a varying degree of riding from trail days with no load to full on trip with 70lbs of gear.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #15888
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,285
6.3 is nothin .......mine holds that then i add bladder bags for a total of 12 gal

bladders hang over the side of the tank ...now thats some weight ....suspension is workin over time when fully loaded ...but i dont motorcroos the bike when she's got full weight on

on another front ..we are making some steal rear subframes ..made out of box steal ...better that globtotting subframes ..as we keep them box section same as stock and add gussets to give more strength ....
we test them out very soon

we need to carry 12 gl of fuel and 3 gal of water for our desert trip later this yr
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #15889
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
What kind of range can be had out of the 4.6? 6.3?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #15890
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
6.3 is nothin .......mine holds that then i add
on another front ..we are making some steal rear subframes ..made out of box steal ...

we need to carry 12 gl of fuel and 3 gal of water for our desert trip later this yr
Can I come and steal one as well...one of the steel ones, that is.

On the actual design of the subframe, I saw an article somewhere where the standard frame was re-inforced with huge success. The engineer that did it had a whole technical document on forces at play, that drove out the final design. If I recall correctly, the issue is not the strength of the subframe, but the way the lower attachement location is not balanced, giving rise to tortional forces. I'll try and find it.

12 Gallon = 45 litres.
I had to carry 55 litres, and having some of the fuel at the back is the way to go. I carried the 30+ litres at the back, with the standard frame, and had no issue.

I have my toolbox upfront and low (on the skidplate) Tools, weight per volume is a lot more than fluid, so you can balance the bike front to back easily, without having huge volume in the front that gets in the way once the riding gets technical, imho.

Keep us posted on the frame though, I would be very interested in the final design and design considerations.
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #15891
Sean-0
straya carnt

yes its steel ....hahaha ..um yes we have talked about the mount issue ....keeping the stock shape i think we have come up with a solution ....

we dont tecnical stuff ... more wide open around here ... sand tracks ....it dont take long to go threw 30 ltrs ....with the tank bra and bladders on the side of the tank its well balanced ...gear at the back ...water onboard at the rear ..keeps the weight even

theres a few pics and talk on the aussie subforum xr650r owners
about the steel subs
Old 01-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #15892
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
....with the tank bra ...
Sounds like you are cruising around with your mistress
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #15893
Sean-0
straya carnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beserker View Post
Sounds like you are cruising around with your mistress
hahaha i wish

Old 01-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #15894
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
What kind of range can be had out of the 4.6? 6.3?

My stock carb and 4.3 had me around 200-220 KM I think.

My 6.3 with TM-40 I can almost always do 400KM, often a lot more. I bet if I had to on a gravel or paved road I could do over 500KM. I've never pushed it though. I've done low 400KM a few times.

There has only been once I've hit reserve at 380KM, and that was in Baja, all deep sand roads and roosting around corners.

I get around 50-52 MPG with the TM-40 and 70lbs of gear.

For those wondering, 1.6KM / Mile.

If you ride WTF out there, having a tank with lots of gas is a GREAT feeling. I've been in some VERY remote places and knowing my tank is half full still always brings comfort.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #15895
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,751
Quote:
hahaha i wish

I think you forgot some stuff
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #15896
Sean-0
straya carnt

14 days .. you cant carry enough stuff
Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #15897
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
14 days .. you cant carry enough stuff

Haha.

I can't say I share the same way of thought... I had less stuff with living off my bike for 4 months... Provided I didn't have to bring food or cooking gear.

I think we covered this before, but always fun to bring it up again. ahha.

In my opinion, lighter = better. Not only easier to ride, more simple, quicker pack-ups, etc.

I know you aussies like your massive sleeping mats / tents, but you should really see about a Thermorest or similar pad. If you don't need thermal properties, there are ones that weigh very, very little. The ProLite + which is my other matt weighs quite a bit more but much, much warmer. What I brought on my trip was awesome for size, but too cold. Even here in the summer I feel chill using it, often resorting to my Pro-lite Plus for better sleeps.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #15898
Sean-0
straya carnt

its hard to xplain .....the swag on the back has my clothes and all sleeping stuff

its now been retired off the bike ...am going to tent from now on ..i have a exped mat was in my swag

on that trip we had way diffent temps over the 14 days from freezeing cold to hot

the bladders sit up front there a must ..we have big distance with low fuel options

the bags on the side 1 held food and 1 held spares and nick knacks ..all up the gear is light just the swag makes it look heavy

running the CSR this yr for 4 weeks ......gear is getting cut down as its all tuff sand .....bladders will still be there but going a giantloop tent and exped and sleeping bag ....4 xrr's in the desert makes it easy for us to spread the tools and spares between bikes ...

gunna take 1 set of clothes and throw them away each week and buy new stuff where i can

60 ltrs fuel on board and 10 ltrs of water ...hard going in desert
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #15899
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
What kind of reserve range are you seeing with the 6.3?

stuntheavy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #15900
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
[QUOTE=Sean-0;20611514]its hard to xplain .....the swag on the back has my clothes and all sleeping stuff

its now been retired off the bike ...am going to tent from now on ..i have a exped mat was in my swag

on that trip we had way diffent temps over the 14 days from freezeing cold to hot

the bladders sit up front there a must ..we have big distance with low fuel options

the bags on the side 1 held food and 1 held spares and nick knacks ..all up the gear is light just the swag makes it look heavy

running the CSR this yr for 4 weeks ......gear is getting cut down as its all tuff sand .....bladders will still be there but going a giantloop tent and exped and sleeping bag ....4 xrr's in the desert makes it easy for us to spread the tools and spares between bikes ...

gunna take 1 set of clothes and throw them away each week and buy new stuff where i can

60 ltrs fuel on board and 10 ltrs of water ...hard going in desert

Sean-O
Guess you must have a portable shower packed in there somewhere as well.

Enjoy the trip!

JM
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote