Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #16141
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Doh' I spoke too soon.

After putting it back together its really, really hard to kick over. Like stand on the kick starter with the decomp in and it wont move hard. (yes it's in neutral)

I thought maybe too much was milled from the crank case cover and now the oil filter cover and oil pump were rubbing. I loosened the bolts and it become 10x easier to kick. Possible clearance issue now with the oil pump and cover? Air bubbles making the pump harder to operate?

Gave up for the night, lol.

EDIT: Does the oil pump need priming? Saw nothing in the FSM suggesting it.

DON"T run it!

Sounds like your oil pump is rubbing on your cover. I bet there are marks if you take it off. You can maybe mill this down, but at this point you might want to find a used one, or buy a new cover. I know it sucks, but consider the option.

Pump does not have to be primed but many on here (including myself) hold the decomp in and kick it a good 10-15 times after changing the oil to hopefully pump the oil into the lines. Another topic under discussion is kicking while drained to remove oil form the lines (put bolt back in or it will spray out). About 200 mls comes out after doing this. I do it and button it up and do priming kicks. You can feel slightly more resistance after a few kicks. I think it helps anyways.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #16142
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
DON"T run it!

Sounds like your oil pump is rubbing on your cover. I bet there are marks if you take it off. You can maybe mill this down, but at this point you might want to find a used one, or buy a new cover. I know it sucks, but consider the option.

Pump does not have to be primed but many on here (including myself) hold the decomp in and kick it a good 10-15 times after changing the oil to hopefully pump the oil into the lines. Another topic under discussion is kicking while drained to remove oil form the lines (put bolt back in or it will spray out). About 200 mls comes out after doing this. I do it and button it up and do priming kicks. You can feel slightly more resistance after a few kicks. I think it helps anyways.
Yup there is marks on the new oil filter cover I put on. Maybe I should sand down the old one until there is enough clearance? Debating just buying an entire new crankcase cover at this point. I don't want something to go wrong with the oil pump and lose the motor in the process. Ha!

Anybody got a right crank case cover off a spare engine they wanna sell? HAHAHA.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #16143
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,852
Quote:
Yup there is marks on the new oil filter cover I put on. Maybe I should sand down the old one until there is enough clearance? Debating just buying an entire new crankcase cover at this point. I don't want something to go wrong with the oil pump and lose the motor in the process. Ha!

Anybody got a right crank case cover off a spare engine they wanna sell? HAHAHA.
Oil pump clearance it a very exact tolerance and directly relates to the motors oil pressure. I'd get a cover off eBay or new, don't risk the motor.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #16144
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Oil pump clearance it a very exact tolerance and directly relates to the motors oil pressure. I'd get a cover off eBay or new, don't risk the motor.

Medisyn,

My fault, I forgot to tell you this. The skimming is only possible when it's less than the axial play of the pump-rotors in the housing, and I skipped telling you how to measure this. It appears that the pump-parts are lodged-in solid now, so please don't start it.
You must buy another/new cover, I'd not skim the pump's parts.
Sorry for my incomplete advice!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #16145
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Medisyn,

My fault, I forgot to tell you this. The skimming is only possible when it's less than the axial play of the pump-rotors in the housing, and I skipped telling you how to measure this. It appears that the pump-parts are lodged-in solid now, so please don't start it.
You must buy another/new cover, I'd not skim the pump's parts.
Sorry for my incomplete advice!
No worries, I should have not been cheap and just ordered a new cover in the first place. Don't worry about me starting it, its likely impossible haha.

I have been ordering my parts on partzilla. Where does everybody go online to get theirs? The prices seem pretty good.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #16146
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
No worries, I should have not been cheap and just ordered a new cover in the first place. Don't worry about me starting it, its likely impossible haha.

I have been ordering my parts on partzilla. Where does everybody go online to get theirs? The prices seem pretty good.
I use bike bandit and ebay mostly. Service honda is pretty good and I've had good luck with xrsonly too. I've heard horror stories about all of them but I haven't had any problems. I've just about ordered a complete xrr one piece at a time too.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #16147
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Just got out on the inaugural run on my new XR. These bikes are beasts!! Not that you all didn't know that already.

Question for you all; everything worked great except after about an hour or so out, it would die when idling. Not that big of deal when I was out in the desert, but not nearly as fun when I'm at a stop light on the way home and it dies just as the light turns green.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Since it is new to me, I plan on changing the oil and checking the valves before my next ride. I would have done that all before this one, but I wanted to get out for a bit while I had the chance.

Here it is:
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #16148
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Ah yes, Henderson, NV. You aren't one of those flatbillers are you? Henderson is lousy with them.

Die at idle? Stock carb? The ususal answer is to clean the carb, which I think should be done yearly anyhow. Adjust your air screw (or it may be fuel screw). Once setup correctly, the stock carb is wonderful for a non-pumper.

Someone will suggest checking your valve clearance, even though you planned on that.

How does the plug look?

Also, there is a mod to the stock carb that may help. Basically disable the decelerator valve. Borynack had the process on his website, but good luck finding it. Its not hard, but I can't remember the steps. Nothing more than putting some silicon in a hole.

Don't let it idle too slow, its not good for it.

If you make it to Lincoln county, let me know. I know a few good rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Just got out on the inaugural run on my new XR. These bikes are beasts!! Not that you all didn't know that already.

Question for you all; everything worked great except after about an hour or so out, it would die when idling. Not that big of deal when I was out in the desert, but not nearly as fun when I'm at a stop light on the way home and it dies just as the light turns green.

Any ideas what I should look for?

Since it is new to me, I plan on changing the oil and checking the valves before my next ride. I would have done that all before this one, but I wanted to get out for a bit while I had the chance.

Here it is:
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #16149
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Ah yes, Henderson, NV. You aren't one of those flatbillers are you? Henderson is lousy with them.

As in walking around with DC shoes drinking a Monster or Redbull?

Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #16150
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Yeah, I'm not too sure what a flat biller is either. I'm pretty sure that whatever it is, I'm not one since that sounds like a negative thing.

I'll add "clean the carb" to my list of crap to be done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #16151
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
As in walking around with DC shoes drinking a Monster or Redbull?

Do you ever wonder why you see people drinking energy drinks when it looks like they don't even have a job?

Bingo!

But being that he's got a XRR, he is probably imune to the disease. Doesn't fit the M.O.

And even then, I still got friends that could be considered FBs. So I try not to be too harsh.

crypto666 screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 04:06 PM
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #16152
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not too sure what a flat biller is either. I'm pretty sure that whatever it is, I'm not one since that sounds like a negative thing.

I'll add "clean the carb" to my list of crap to be done.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Don't worry, you aren't. We welcome all either way, and weed em out as we go dow nthe trail.

Note what your jetting is while you are in there, and clip position.

Oh, and don't forget to check the screws in the choke plate. Locttite them good, or get rid of the little flapper thing al together. The choke works without it. You will see what I am talking about, hopefully, because I am not really sure what I am talking about anymore.

BTW, I party with your mayor Andy. He is a neighbor at certain times of the year.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #16153
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

I figured that's what you were talking about. I don't take the time to break down the different sub-categories of douche's (like flatbillers). I'm just lazy and call them all douches.

I've never messed with or cleaned a carb before, so I'll take it slow and see what's going on in there once I get some time. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #16154
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I've never messed with or cleaned a carb before, so I'll take it slow and see what's going on in there once I get some time. Thanks for the suggestions.
No better time then the present. Just be careful not to strip bolts. Some of them can be pretty soft. Also don't lose any parts or bend anything. You'll see what I mean. Just don't man handle it and you should be fine.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #16155
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,302
I was and still am a noob on carb's
Clean work bench .correct size tools for the job ..nice clean cloth on the bench .righty tighty lefty loosey
i work left right
as i remove parts they go in order on the cloth in order as i remove them
then its easy to put back together .. the first time i did it i took load of pics then just worked back ....great success
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote