Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #16186
jtworldwide2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorensic View Post
Are you saying you fixed it by putting in more "delay"? Or that you still have the issue?
Fixed it by putting more delay in. You could probably accomplish the same thing by changing jets as well, but it runs like a top how i have it set up.

Just try it, it takes all of 10 seconds to adjust.
jtworldwide2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #16187
phorensic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Cool, thanks for all the info guys! My streetbike did the same damn thing this morning! Maybe higher ethanol contents and all the moisture we have had recently got sucked up into my gas tanks? Oh well, whatever.
phorensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #16188
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Just put on a Mikuni TM40. Oh my god. This carburetor fixes everything wrong with this bike. I have a quick tuning question.

When I first started my bike with the Mikuni it took a long time to warm up and let me touch the throttle even though it was 65F outside. The second I barely cracked the throttle the motor would die. It seemed to run way better on the choke until it got warm and then all of a sudden I could start to rev it like normal.

First though? Pilot is too lean. Well, my theory was wrong. It ran way worse with the pilot richened up 1/4 turn. It actually responded better with the pilot leaned out a 1/4 turn from stock (idle revs went up, responded better to quick blips of the throttle).

Now unfortunately my battery was dead from sitting and I think I was experiencing problems because I didn't have strong enough ignition until the battery charged up a bit....I think...

However, I have a slight hesitation when I barely crack the throttle open and hold it open at like 1/32th opening. It might be because of the way I tuned the accelerator pump. I adjusted it so the lever is about 1mm away from touching at idle, so it takes about 1mm of throttle opening before it actuates. From the factory the lever was actually touching at idle and I didn't think it should be that way but I don't know.

BTW, this carb came prejetted from power-barn specifically for the XR650R, but I'm not sure what is in it because I didn't crack anything open and take a look and they don't list it. Other than those two very minor problems this carb rips! It's perfect! It's hard to keep the front end on the ground!!!

I live at under 1,000ft ASL, it was 65F, I have a K&N filter (which I want to replace with a UNI), fully uncorked, White Brothers E2, emissions stuff removed, still stock on everything else though.
Get rid of that K&N, esp if you plan on running a different filter and are in the process of dialing in the carb. It's recommended that you start at the bottom and work your way up when dialing in the jetting, main jet being last. It sounds like it's pretty close though. If you've found the best spot for your fuel mixture screw, count the turns in and that will tell you if the pilot jet is correct or too large/small. The Sudco tuning manual that came with the TM40 has a pretty good writeup on dialing in this carb. If you take a methodical approach to jetting the carb you can get it dialed in fairly quickly. If you decide to drop the main, raise the needle (anotherwords 2 changes at once) it's going to take you awhile. One thing I found, one persons jetting rarely works for someone else. The TM40 can be a sensative bitch, temps, alt, minor motor differences all play a factor in it. I'd have mine running really sweet one day, 2 weeks later we'd ride a few thousand feet higher and 20 degrees colder and it'd feel off. Good luck!
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #16189
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 384
Guys,

Went riding this morning and have a upcoming trip too. Have some Kendra 270's on the front and rear and they were not any good in the sloppy stuff. ( sand, mud and hill climbs.) I need a great " all Terrain" tire. I'm not worry about wear on the highway as this bike is mainly for advrides and trail rides. So what do y'all suggest. I was riding really wet muddy trails today and the front had 0 control.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #16190
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
I first thought the ignition should be running solely off the stator when it starts. I couldn't explain why the bike wouldn't let me rev it for about 3 minutes even with heat billowing off the header and radiators already. My theory was that the battery was so dead the stator was putting most the juice into charging it and I had really weak ignition. It was idling like crap and wouldn't let me even breath on the throttle. Then all of a sudden after about 3 minutes I could blip the throttle super fast. I think I'm just going to play with the AP delay for now.

I haven't read your first post with too much detail, but once again, your battery has NOTHING to do with your bike running. Provided nobody changed this, the ignition system is completely isolated from the your battery or ANY other electronics on the bike.

(not considering the wiring job done and grounding, etc.)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #16191
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson757 View Post
Guys,

Went riding this morning and have a upcoming trip too. Have some Kendra 270's on the front and rear and they were not any good in the sloppy stuff. ( sand, mud and hill climbs.) I need a great " all Terrain" tire. I'm not worry about wear on the highway as this bike is mainly for advrides and trail rides. So what do y'all suggest. I was riding really wet muddy trails today and the front had 0 control.

Maxxis DESERT IT's. (not the standard ones).

Not DOT though, nor will they get the mileage teh 270's do. People call them worn at different "rates". Ie, on my trip I did 9500KM's on the rear... trying to get the treads to show. Baja was 4000km's and they were pooched. You can expect a few 1000KM of good service though. (1.6KM/mile).

I haven't tried many tires, but they are way better then Pirreli MT-21's and last just as long.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #16192
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
Anyone here have regular contact with Diane an Precision Concepts? I ordered parts in October and they have yet to arrive and emails are never answered on both addresses they used previously. Being in Australia makes calling tough, pm me if you can maybe help contacting her, cheers
Old 02-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #16193
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Maxxis DESERT IT's. (not the standard ones).

Not DOT though, nor will they get the mileage teh 270's do. People call them worn at different "rates". Ie, on my trip I did 9500KM's on the rear... trying to get the treads to show. Baja was 4000km's and they were pooched. You can expect a few 1000KM of good service though. (1.6KM/mile).

I haven't tried many tires, but they are way better then Pirreli MT-21's and last just as long.
I found the same thing, the Dez ITs worked way better than the MT21s, we ride allot of rocky desert terrain that likes to chew up tires quick, the Dez ITs are my preferred tire, they seem to hold up to the 650s pounding and the fronts stick pretty good. I chunked the only rear MT21 I ever had in 3 rides, I tried their front and it dumped my ass more than once. They just don't stick well in our terrain. If I'm running allot of road like a big DS ride I'd put on a 606 (rear only), they don't chunk and hold up ok riding pvmt but don't have the off road traction of the ITs.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 AM   #16194
jungle face
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Anyone here have regular contact with Diane an Precision Concepts? I ordered parts in October and they have yet to arrive and emails are never answered on both addresses they used previously. Being in Australia makes calling tough, pm me if you can maybe help contacting her, cheers
Give this a try. precisionconcepts1@verizon.net . I got through on this just the other day.

I have only been waiting since the 4th Feb. WTF.
jungle face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #16195
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle face View Post
Give this a try. precisionconcepts1@verizon.net . I got through on this just the other day.

I have only been waiting since the 4th Feb. WTF.
Thanks man, this is one I have already tried though - when they reply they are helpful.......when they reply........
Old 02-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #16196
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Thanks man, this is one I have already tried though - when they reply they are helpful.......when they reply........
Inmate Bump has had a lot of contact with them over the years.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #16197
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Thumb XR @ "Taste of Dakar"

At AltRider's Taste of Dakar event this past weekend in Pahrump, NV. Johnny Campbell made an appearance on the new Dakar bike. It was a killer event and lot's of XRs showed up:

Mine:

Group ride:

JC tearing it up!

Jimmy Lewis and JC at the riders meeting.
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #16198
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernick View Post

Ideal bike for Russia ,
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #16199
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 793
In the process of going over everything. I adjusted the valves today, they were all within spec, but I moved them to the looser end of "within spec" just for peace of mind. I adjusted the compression release cable since it wasn't actually working before so starting wasn't nearly as fun. Someone earlier had asked what my spark plug looked like. I'm not very good mechanically, I'm learning this stuff as I go along. Anyone see any problems with this?

I cleaned the air filter, next plan is to tackle the carb to check things out, then change the oil, then see how motivated I am to do anything else instead of going out riding.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #16200
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
quickie: do you have to remove the engine from the frame to remove the cylinder? thanks