ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 PM   #16231
galland1
n00b
 
galland1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S.W., MI
Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Yeah, I just recently downloaded the pdf. If you can't find it, send me a pm with your email, and I'll get it to you.

So I got the replacement thermostat from NAPA and went to pull the old one out to see if it was stuck open. Turns out the previous owner must have read the same thing I did about not having to run it with the thermostat, because there wasn't anything there.

Hopefully that's all that's wrong with it, I'll find out tomorrow when I warm it up to change the oil and then really take it out and see how it's doing.
Did you drill a bleed hole in the stat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #16232
Mur
Wheee!
 
Mur's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Grass Valley,CA
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
I need to buy a shop manual and was wondering if the factory Honda manual is better than the Clymer.

Anyone with both?
I use both. The Honda manual goes in depth into things the Clymer doesn't.
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #16233
nigelcorn
Wannabe.
 
nigelcorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1 View Post
Did you drill a bleed hole in the stat?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
What? I haven't heard of that before. No, I didn't drill anything.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD


Hmm, maybe I should have read a bit more carefully. Now I get to drain the coolant again to drill the hole.
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #16234
galland1
n00b
 
galland1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S.W., MI
Oddometer: 108
A pic of my failed OE stat.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #16235
galland1
n00b
 
galland1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S.W., MI
Oddometer: 108
Going to try out a 280mm and some carbon pads.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #16236
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,523
muffler

Anyone buy an aftermarket muffler recently? Mine came with an old Big gun one that does not have a sparky and loves to blow out packing and is way too loud.

I think I would go OEM but can't seem to find one.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #16237
slogger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Anyone buy an aftermarket muffler recently? Mine came with an old Big gun one that does not have a sparky and loves to blow out packing and is way too loud.

I think I would go OEM but can't seem to find one.
If you don't find one here, check ebay. They always seem to be a few on there.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #16238
nigelcorn
Wannabe.
 
nigelcorn's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Henderson, NV
Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1 View Post
A pic of my failed OE stat.


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks for that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #16239
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,523
I think I could sell the old one too... its in good shape and VERY free flowing. Hell I'd even pack it first.

No mas on EBAY
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #16240
galland1
n00b
 
galland1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: S.W., MI
Oddometer: 108
Search "xr650r" in quotes and the word muffler. Three OE on there now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #16241
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,523
Thanks for the advice, I was just getting pages of unrelated crap to sort through. Found a nice intact one with no mods for 75$ shipped.

Happy birthday to me!

I will be legal, and quiet.

I will probably drill it out, from what I've read it is not any louder than the aftermarket ones.

Anyone have an OEM one drilled out?
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #16242
cognugget
n00b
 
cognugget's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 243
Has anybody had a bad CDI on their xrr? I think i may be fighting an intermittant cdi. More testing to come, but she died a few weeks ago and was a beezy to start.... now, 150 miles later it happened again on my way to work..... it runs fine again now. when testing spark, sometimes it would just randomly not spark/ and or backfire.
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #16243
cognugget
n00b
 
cognugget's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Did you have any problems with the clutch and decompressor cables ? they are too short on my bike i have rerouted them but still not 100 % happy , are yours longer ? No problems with the throttle cables as i have the pro motion extra long set .
Btw , nice job you have done there .
No, but I did cut the bars down 3/4 of an inch on each side. throttle cables barely made it haha.
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #16244
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
Has anybody had a bad CDI on their xrr? I think i may be fighting an intermittant cdi. More testing to come, but she died a few weeks ago and was a beezy to start.... now, 150 miles later it happened again on my way to work..... it runs fine again now. when testing spark, sometimes it would just randomly not spark/ and or backfire.
YES, they can be intermittently bad. the solder connections on the board can break causing a poor or intermittent connection.

The common solution is to replace with a xr400 cdi of a certain model range. it has a different curve and higher rev limit.

Or play it safe and get an original one.

never understood why you would need more rpms out of these things they flatten out power wise pretty quick in the rpm range. (radical mods not withstanding).
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #16245
cognugget
n00b
 
cognugget's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
YES, they can be intermittently bad. the solder connections on the board can break causing a poor or intermittent connection.

The common solution is to replace with a xr400 cdi of a certain model range. it has a different curve and higher rev limit.

Or play it safe and get an original one.

never understood why you would need more rpms out of these things they flatten out power wise pretty quick in the rpm range. (radical mods not withstanding).
I will just get an oem. So, Im scared to ride it, I dont trust it. after I check the coil, how to I check the stator. if they are both fine, I will grab a new cdi
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014