Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #16246
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
YES, they can be intermittently bad. the solder connections on the board can break causing a poor or intermittent connection.

The common solution is to replace with a xr400 cdi of a certain model range. it has a different curve and higher rev limit.

Or play it safe and get an original one.

never understood why you would need more rpms out of these things they flatten out power wise pretty quick in the rpm range. (radical mods not withstanding).
Bike started 1st kick this morning. I was on my way to work, 5 miles down the road, at about 40% throttle (50mph) and i just lost power over 25% throttle, i nursed it to an exit, where she died after getting too low in rpm. Right now, she runs great. At one point, it wouldn't start when I heated the CDI up with a heatgun, and would when I cooled it off, now it starts either way... very odd... I think im going to cancel my saturday and monday ride plans.
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #16247
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
I don't know, but i would be leary of the china aftermarket ones. I've seen at least 3 different ones on ebay ect,,, the thought crossed my mind....

Best probably to go oem.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #16248
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
I don't know, but i would be leary of the china aftermarket ones. I've seen at least 3 different ones on ebay ect,,, the thought crossed my mind....

Best probably to go oem.
If I need a CDI, I will get an OEM.
$130
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #16249
cognugget
n00b

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...0-MBN-671.html
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 PM   #16250
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Before I'd accuse the CDI I'd have meticulously checked all connections, plugs, earth's etc, up to the last seemingly unimportant bit. Clean to 'new', use contact spray for this plus some grease before reconnecting, and know a bit of paint or a sque conncetor can throw the spark off. Obviously a new unit won't help here then, just my 2 c's..
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #16251
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Before I'd accuse the CDI I'd have meticulously checked all connections, plugs, earth's etc, up to the last seemingly unimportant bit. Clean to 'new', use contact spray for this plus some grease before reconnecting, and know a bit of paint or a sque conncetor can throw the spark off. Obviously a new unit won't help here then, just my 2 c's..
I will. This has been a huge pain.....Its running great right now. But i have no faith in it...... more tests tomorrow. it had this issue, then ran great for 150 miles, then issue again.

How do you test the stator, and pulse receiver?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #16252
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
Nothing worse than chasing electrical gremlins by replacing parts. Been there done that, no fun and a waste of money/time.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #16253
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Nothing worse than chasing electrical gremlins by replacing parts. Been there done that, no fun and a waste of money/time.
Yeah , Im pissed....

I dont know if i trust it to ride this monday
Old 03-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #16254
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
I prefer the Factory Honda Service manual. There are a couple areas that it isn't clear in the OEM manual for an engine build but nothing major. I've built the engine twice in the last year using the OEM manual and haven't had any trouble.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #16255
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
I prefer the Factory Honda Service manual. There are a couple areas that it isn't clear in the OEM manual for an engine build but nothing major. I've built the engine twice in the last year using the OEM manual and haven't had any trouble.

I have the european service manual. do you know the specs for the stator ohms/volts
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #16256
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 793
Quick question-- I obviously changed the coolant yesterday when I put in the new thermostat. I haven't started the engine since. Will coolant have transferred over to both radiators even without the engine starting, or can I get away with not draining the coolant if I'm taking the thermostat out again?
nigelcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #16257
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
I will. This has been a huge pain.....Its running great right now. But i have no faith in it...... more tests tomorrow. it had this issue, then ran great for 150 miles, then issue again.

How do you test the stator, and pulse receiver?
I've got an 87 XR600 out in the garage that does the same thing,I got sick of messing with it now its just an ornament.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #16258
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
Has anybody had a bad CDI on their xrr? I think i may be fighting an intermittant cdi. More testing to come, but she died a few weeks ago and was a beezy to start.... now, 150 miles later it happened again on my way to work..... it runs fine again now. when testing spark, sometimes it would just randomly not spark/ and or backfire.
Double check the spark plug wire as it passes under the frame and over the valve cover. It has been known to chaff allowing current to pass to ground. Or just replace it. Plug wires (meaning the insulation) does go bad after years of heat and flexing.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #16259
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post

Just curious why you had to rebuild it twice in the same year?
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #16260
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Quick question-- I obviously changed the coolant yesterday when I put in the new thermostat. I haven't started the engine since. Will coolant have transferred over to both radiators even without the engine starting, or can I get away with not draining the coolant if I'm taking the thermostat out again?

Yup, there are hoses connecting the rads so it fills both. The stat is the device the stops / redirects flow of the coolant once started, but otherwise both rads fill.

Keep in mind you should try to burb the engine/coolant. Try to get all the air out and double check once you put it through a heat cycle that that coolant is still full (obviously only opening the cap once cooled down).
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote