cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #16367
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
whats it like riding with the trials tire?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #16368
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
whats it like riding with the trials tire?
Rides great, even at 90mph

It's an mt43
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 AM   #16369
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
I'm seriously considering trading my street bike for an XR650. I've been riding since . . . well, I've had lots of motorcycles and would really enjoy a dual purpose machine, possibly getting an extra set of wheels and tires dedicated to commuting.

I might take my F800R to the Honda dealer today and see what they can do - I have title in hand but I don't really want to buy new - I'd prefer a very well maintained machine + a little cash. Here's a link with photos & description to what I'm currently riding - the mileage is now at 2000 --> LINK

I haven't checked but I'm guessing insurance won't be too bad.

Let me know if you think this is a crazy idea or if I'd be entering dual-purpose nirvana.

Thanks,

RS

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I used to remove the rear pegs . . . now I keep them on just in case I find a gorgeous woman with no STD's who needs a ride . . . like that's ever gonna happen
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #16370
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,387
subframe mods necessary?

My top-end refresh has turned into a complete engine rebuild (needed a new connecting rod) and I decided to service the shock, swing-arm and linkage.

So while I have the chassis stripped, should I be making an mods to the subframe to handle the extra stress from luggage? I'm probably going to use one of the Giant Loop bags to carry a kit of lightweight camping gear.

Thanks,

dod
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #16371
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
My top-end refresh has turned into a complete engine rebuild (needed a new connecting rod) and I decided to service the shock, swing-arm and linkage.

So while I have the chassis stripped, should I be making an mods to the subframe to handle the extra stress from luggage? I'm probably going to use one of the Giant Loop bags to carry a kit of lightweight camping gear.

Thanks,

dod

I have carried 40-50lbs on my rack without any mods to the subframe, and no issues. Upgraded all related to fasteners to the highest grade I could get a hold of. Just don't be a jackass and act like a superstar racer with your luggage on. And carry an extra long bolt, maybe even find a longer one.

My replacing of a crank case side resulted in a complete rebuild too; also needed the c-rod.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #16372
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 667
My first real trip with my BRP. A trip out to Death Valley a few weeks back. Many, many photos of the desert. This was one of my favorites. I can't say enough good things about the Giant Loop Mojavi bags. I was able to fit 4 litre sized MSR fuel bottles, a 21" spare tube and all of my tools.

But why, oh why does the bike want to spit out bolts? I lost two of the bolts that mount the rear fender to the end of the right side of the subframe (signal light mounts in the Baja Designs kit). I used blue loctite, but no luck. I also lost one of the two seat mount bolts (right side). Luckily, the mojavi bag kept the side panel in place.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #16373
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
i think ngk changed their plug numbering system. when i went last time i had to get the 5791 which is the same think as the other, just in the new numbering system.
or try this site for cross reference
Tnks
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #16374
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 150
Hey guys,

I adjusted the valves last weekend on my 2000 650R. The intake valves were tight, so I adjusted them to .006". The exhaust valves were fine. Since adjusting the intake valves, the bike has been pretty hard to start when cold. Before it was just a matter of a few good whacks. Now it seems to take 10 or 15 good whacks to get her running. Any suggestions? Do tighter intake valves make for an easier starting XRR? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #16375
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
But why, oh why does the bike want to spit out bolts?

Why don't you try some loctite? This bike doesn't lose bolts anymore than any other bike.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #16376
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Hey guys,

I adjusted the valves last weekend on my 2000 650R. The intake valves were tight, so I adjusted them to .006". The exhaust valves were fine. Since adjusting the intake valves, the bike has been pretty hard to start when cold. Before it was just a matter of a few good whacks. Now it seems to take 10 or 15 good whacks to get her running. Any suggestions? Do tighter intake valves make for an easier starting XRR? Thanks!

Double/triple check your adjustment. TIght intakes usually make for harder starting.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #16377
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Why don't you try some loctite? This bike doesn't lose bolts anymore than any other bike.

No kidding, my KX500 sheds some bolts! That thing seems like every ride i'm putting in new bolts in plastics, or whatever.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #16378
dohcfox
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Double/triple check your adjustment. TIght intakes usually make for harder starting.
Thanks! I initially found them to be tight when I 'set' them to .006". I'll check them this afternoon, when I get home.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #16379
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
My first real trip with my BRP. A trip out to Death Valley a few weeks back. Many, many photos of the desert. This was one of my favorites. I can't say enough good things about the Giant Loop Mojavi bags. I was able to fit 4 litre sized MSR fuel bottles, a 21" spare tube and all of my tools.

But why, oh why does the bike want to spit out bolts? I lost two of the bolts that mount the rear fender to the end of the right side of the subframe (signal light mounts in the Baja Designs kit). I used blue loctite, but no luck. I also lost one of the two seat mount bolts (right side). Luckily, the mojavi bag kept the side panel in place.

Ahhh, Big Dunes, right? Fun place to play in the sand without the flatbiller crowd. And a nice ride on the XRR from Death Valley. Did you go out Echo Canyon?

Are you using locking washers on the bolts that you're losing? I would think the loctite would hold them. And yes, I love those Mojavi Bags.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #16380
dohcfox
meh

You might want to loc-tite your kick start lever too. The bolt on mine started to work its way out one day on the way to work. Fortunately, I didn't lose it!

Quote:

But why, oh why does the bike want to spit out bolts?