Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #16786
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
...Now get out and abuse your clutch and have some fun.
Oki doki

Piggy & I are ready, soon ... really soon, all the snow & ice are gone in the woods.

ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #16787
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
[QUOTE=Jayrod1318;21120925]

The Trx 250 parts were ordered. Part #'s 16955-HA2-005 4 hole gasket. and part# 16963-HB9-005 x-ring.

[QUOTE]

If you can't source the above replacement petcock gasket, then another good Honda part number for the XR650R petcock gasket is:
16955-268-020.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #16788
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I changed my fork oil last night.

It was low for some reason ( no leaky seals) and it stank like the oil trap at the grease monkey.

Little black snotty stuff came out too.

The action and feel are SOOO much better. I can't wait to do some rough stuff!
Some guys tweak the front suspension by increasing/decreasing the air chamber (oil level) in the forks (less=a little plusher/more=bottoming resistance) It's usally 10 ~ 20mm ether side of the factory level, I don't think you'd detect that when draining though, it's a small amount, I usally manage to spill more than that on the floor when doing the forks
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #16789
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
Since everyone is talking about clutches I may as well address a problem im having, don't kill me its been addressed before. So when i have my bike off in first gear if i pull in the clutch it wont roll without resistance from the engine(clutch wont wont fully disengage*thanks larryboy).......
....... I really dont think its the adjustment ive adjusted it to about every positon it can be, and sorry for the lack of being able to think for myself, i'd say its probably the springs and plates but id rather hear it from you guys

AHA!
Signs of wear - which means you used it didn't you?
No beating around the bush here mate, told you so!
Self inflicted injuries. Go replace the whole caboodle and see who's smiling then!

I also use the clutch, often in fact, but not always.
But, those advertising the non-use simply because the oil lives longer then simply cannot be serious, "tight" ain't the word...
Fwiw, I change my oil even more regularly then what the manual prescribes, worse, I put real good stuff in actually. Why? I lurve this thing, it's the best bike I've owned and I intend on keeping it in the best nick I can - which also means I'll look after the gearbox. Oil & plates, even the basket to an extent are consumables, like it or not.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #16790
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
ride4fun562,

ever been on a speedboat? With full whack you pull away, however it goes somewhat sluggish.... until it starts planing, when it climbs on top of the water rather than in the water.
You'll recognize this no doubt.
Your clutch is the same. With little speed differential there's loadsa friction, but when the speed increases there's less, so all quite normal I'd say.
But open it up to make sure, there's nothing wrong with a bit of screwing
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #16791
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,550
[QUOTE=Kiko;21135292][QUOTE=Jayrod1318;21120925]

The Trx 250 parts were ordered. Part #'s 16955-HA2-005 4 hole gasket. and part# 16963-HB9-005 x-ring.

Quote:

If you can't source the above replacement petcock gasket, then another good Honda part number for the XR650R petcock gasket is:
16955-268-020.
Very nice, that number has a lot more cross reference and is cheaper.

I wonder though if it is thicker or thinner or if the O.D. is different.

Even if the that 4 hole gasket is smaller OD it still works because its a face seal.

Your part number is 20mm dia.

The trx part number is just a hair under 22mm or about 21.78mm
Old 04-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #16792
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
When racing i just shift all gears up and down without cluth from 2ª gear up (when i need). No damage i believe as shift is smooth as possible.

In weekend raids I just shift using cluth more often.
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/

babuja screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 11:48 PM
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #16793
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Clutch use is a learned skill, if you are riding competitively it can make big difference (On starts, brake turning into corners riding a gear high out of corners speed shifting , rough rocky sections ect
I love my clutch.
I am skeptical if a recluse could withstand the 650r power and same riding technique?
It will, I raced Supermoto with my CRF450R with a Rekluse and it not only got me a holeshot every time and eliminated stalling, but the stock clutch plates lasted over 8 years! Clutch use is a skill, but the Rekluse allows you to use that brain power for racing!

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #16794
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
WHy do you clutch every shift when the only proven effect in doing so is wearing out clutch components.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superhobie View Post
Easy on the roids Cryp nobody is trying to encourage anyone on clutch usage. You made the asinine statement that apparently those of us that choose to ride a different way then u must either not ride enough or are misinformed somehow. Maybe spend 2 minutes doing a Google search on shifting a dirt bike without using the clutch and see what you come up with, ie some do some don't just like here
Roids? I could go for some good roids right now, my body is feeling pretty shot right now.

Sorry, but one asanine statement will lead to another.

I would much rather buy a bike that has had a lot of clutch use and less low rpm lugging, than a bike with a hardly used clutch and toasted connecting rod.

I have sat on the starting line of many races and watched how different people handle starts and such. Some will bang through gears clearly without any clutch, some are much smoother and its hard to tell what exactly they are doing, but I assume they are using the clutch. In the end, I don't think any desert race has been won because of clutch use. However, many races have been lost due to a broken bike. And if I had to bet, my money would be on those using a clutch to finish.

I don't beat my wife, and I don't stomp through gears without a clutch that is 1" from my finger. However, my wife is anti-clutch in her car and it is carrying over to the bike. So some beatings may be in order.

If you watch On Any Sunday, you will notice many different styles, and seldom do you see people with a hand on the clutch, but if you watch Malcom Smith, he always has one finger on the clutch.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #16795
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Yeah, not alot of posts here, but enough experience on bikes. I generally use the clutch, but sometimes not. Had a DR650SE that I bought with 12k and put another 32k on it. HARD use... It would wheelie on throttle in 2nd, but I'd clutch it up more often than not, then shift with the front up to 3rd, 4th, and at times 5th...with no clutch just as slick and smooth as can be. Had the motor apart due to improper assembly (post and photos on TT) at about 28k and the clutch pack looked almost new, was going to replace it but it didn't need it. Used Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and if you look at the photos the inside of the motor was really clean, zero wear on anything (except for the out of place washer that should have been on the end of the main gear cluster, but had fallen out and the SIDE of the 1st main gear which was spinning AGAINST the washer. One tough bike, loved the little bugger!) Change your oil and ride the way you like...just try and be smooth is my $.02
Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #16796
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Found some photos...

The side of 1st

The washer after a lot of hard miles...

I had a magnetic drain plug, and there only was the smallest bit stuck to the magnet when I changed the oil, which I thought was from me abusing the clutch...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #16797
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
Yeah, not alot of posts here, but enough experience on bikes. I generally use the clutch, but sometimes not. Had a DR650SE that I bought with 12k and put another 32k on it. HARD use... It would wheelie on throttle in 2nd, but I'd clutch it up more often than not, then shift with the front up to 3rd, 4th, and at times 5th...with no clutch just as slick and smooth as can be. Had the motor apart due to improper assembly (post and photos on TT) at about 28k and the clutch pack looked almost new, was going to replace it but it didn't need it. Used Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and if you look at the photos the inside of the motor was really clean, zero wear on anything (except for the out of place washer that should have been on the end of the main gear cluster, but had fallen out and the SIDE of the 1st main gear which was spinning AGAINST the washer. One tough bike, loved the little bugger!) Change your oil and ride the way you like...just try and be smooth is my $.02
What was your typical drain interval?

Isn't that oil for diesels?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #16798
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
What was your typical drain interval?

Isn't that oil for diesels?
About every 2k maybe 2.5k, It would go from smooth shifting (with clutch) to kinda notchy so I'd drain it, new filter and swap air filters. Had two Twin Air's...

Yep Diesel engine oil, run it in everything...my 1991 Jetta diesel has almost 600k, 1994 Chevy truck has 345k (V6 5speed is why I keep it), The DR, my XRR.....
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #16799
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
we are going to have 40 pages of to clutch or not to clutch. I think you boys need to go have a beer and let it be.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #16800
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
we are going to have 40 pages of to clutch or not to clutch. I think you boys need to go have a beer and let it be.
Yeah, lets discuss oil
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote