Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #17101
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Thanks, I adjusted my intakes about 500 miles ago when I bought the bike. Looks like they need it again already. Most bikes I have owned would do at least 3k between adjustments.
Ill try to get some pictures if I get time.
But I have Kibbles Black diamond valves and have allot of mileage on stock valves to form an opinion
Black diamond intake valves are an improvement over stock
I have 14,000 mi on black diamond intakes with inital and one other adjustment near 12,000 they show near no wear
As for Exhaust valves I believe the stock EX valve are better than the black diamonds from my wear analyses.
Idd like to know if others are trying other types of valves?"
FlyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #17102
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Thanks for your input guys. I'll just check them every 300-500 miles thru the summer, and then pull the head this winter. I'll upgrade to kibbies on the intakes then.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #17103
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by galland1 View Post
Anyone use a 70s pilot jet?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Another yes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #17104
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Thanks for your input guys. I'll just check them every 300-500 miles thru the summer, and then pull the head this winter. I'll upgrade to kibbies on the intakes then.
Valve pictures
These valves have similar time on them, But I am suspecting the black diamonds have harder use?

Black diamond intake on left with a known 14,000 mi, stock on the right Time unknown

On the exhaust the black diamonds (left) have deeper Pitts in them
the stockers could be re faced, but I really don't recommend that
So I would give a slight advantage to the stock exhaust valve? (right)

FlyGuy screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 11:25 PM
FlyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #17105
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Looks like you did the obvious. Carb floats usally don't go bad, infact it's really rare and easy enough to check. They also wouldn't cause that symptom, the carb would be getting too much fuel if they were bad. To me it sounds like fuel is trickling into the carb and demand isn't keeping up with flow. As a test, run it, as it stats getting ready to die, flip on the choke, that will pull a bit more of the remaining fuel out of the carb. If you do that and it will run a short while longer then it's running out of gas. Cause can be up at the petcock (easy to check) or in the float area, Pull the fuel line, turn on the gas, see if you have good flow out of the tank. If that's ok it's possibly something is blocking the inlet screen at the float valve or the floats are hung in the upward (almost closed) position but even that should cause some leakage out the overflow. If the floats were bad (ie: they don't float ) the fuel wouldn't shut off in the carb and it'd be pissin all over the ground. If you narrow it to the carb, I'd pull it and give it a good inspection, look to make sure the float assy isn't bent and that you can blow freely through the fuel line with the floats hanging. (float valve open). Shake the carb once it's together before you put it on the bike, you'll hear the floats bouncing up and down confirming that they aren't in a bind causing them not to work correctly. Check your gas cap vent too, that can cause the same thing, if you got one of those little check valve things on your gas cap, throw it away and replace with a piece of fuel line, they're junk and cause as many problems as they solve (I'd do this check first since it's easiest).

Good luck and have a great ride, we expect some pictures when you return.
Siphoned out some gas once I got to town (shoulda thought of this earlier) and found a good amount of water settling to the bottom...drained half the tank then refilled and added a gas treatment. She ran fine at full throttle from ridgecrest to mission viejo. She seems to sputter, pop, and lug a little when I'm maintaining speed (ie not accelerating) around or 2000rpm, but not when I accelerate hard through that range, or cruise on the 2500rpm range. Wonder if she's still fighting through the last of the bad fuel or if my jetting is now way off. Or both. I've got a 180main, forget the low flow, but its got an 's' in the size, and my needle is 2nd notch from the top. I'm gunna check out the carb and such tmrw. Any ideas on if I'm jetted right or not?
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:08 AM   #17106
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaTheHusky View Post
Siphoned out some gas once I got to town (shoulda thought of this earlier) and found a good amount of water settling to the bottom...drained half the tank then refilled and added a gas treatment. She ran fine at full throttle from ridgecrest to mission viejo. She seems to sputter, pop, and lug a little when I'm maintaining speed (ie not accelerating) around or 2000rpm, but not when I accelerate hard through that range, or cruise on the 2500rpm range. Wonder if she's still fighting through the last of the bad fuel or if my jetting is now way off. Or both. I've got a 180main, forget the low flow, but its got an 's' in the size, and my needle is 2nd notch from the top. I'm gunna check out the carb and such tmrw. Any ideas on if I'm jetted right or not?
If it ran good at the start of te trip the jetting is probably ok, and XR is pretty forgivng when it comes to it's jetting. Probably need to drain the carb a few times, if you only drained half, then chances are you're still dealing with a water issue, just not as bad.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #17107
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
If it ran good at the start of te trip the jetting is probably ok, and XR is pretty forgivng when it comes to it's jetting. Probably need to drain the carb a few times, if you only drained half, then chances are you're still dealing with a water issue, just not as bad.
Yup. Makes sense. I'll get rid of all the gas, and pull the carb bowl for a good wipe down. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #17108
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Any ideas on if I'm jetted right or not?

Sounds super fat and a fouled plug. Drop the needle...edit, just read again, second from the top is how you're compensating for the huge main...leave the needle where it's at, 165 main, new plug and make sure the jam nut on the emulsifier tube is tight with the tube fully seated.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #17109
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
How did it run first part of the trip? I understand DV is a bit lower but if it was jetted right when you left home I'd be surprised of it needs changed. I've run the 650R over a 7K' alt change in one trip and while it wasn't ideal the jetting was ok with that range. Have you been following someone who's putin out allot of dust? I have seen that effect the running.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #17110
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Sounds super fat and a fouled plug. Drop the needle...edit, just read again, second from the top is how you're compensating for the huge main...leave the needle where it's at, 165 main, new plug and make sure the jam nut on the emulsifier tube is tight with the tube fully seated.
She's got the panel cut out of the airbox cover, an aftermarket pipe/headers, and (if we are to believe the original owner) bored out. Jets probably still too big, but maybe not as oversized as it sounds. I need to replace some bolts so ill take another look and probably swap down to 175.

Thanks for the input! Esp the emulsifier.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #17111
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
She's got the panel cut out of the airbox cover, an aftermarket pipe/headers, and (if we are to believe the original owner) bored out. Jets probably still too big, but maybe not as oversized as it sounds. I need to replace some bolts so ill take another look and probably swap down to 175.

Thanks for the input! Esp the emulsifier.

That oughta be enough engine mods to warrant the big main, definitely swap the plug and see what happens.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #17112
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
check my sig !

yep, now make a parts list and grab your cc and call me.
thanks
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #17113
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Quote:
How did it run first part of the trip? I understand DV is a bit lower but if it was jetted right when you left home I'd be surprised of it needs changed. I've run the 650R over a 7K' alt change in one trip and while it wasn't ideal the jetting was ok with that range. Have you been following someone who's putin out allot of dust? I have seen that effect the running.
Good logic. She was running fine on hwy 1 in norcal with this jetting. Wasn't following any roost or dust, my riding buddy wad on a touring bike, so I didn't see much dirt, and when I did it was just me.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #17114
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Valve pictures
Thanks
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #17115
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Putting on my new chain today, it's a renthal with a rivet master link. I was expecting a clip, I've never done a rivet style before. How exactly does one install this thing? Guess I need to buy some sort of rivet tool? Sorry for the dumb question. I've always used clip links

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote