Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #17506
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,117
Mitas are great tires. Too bad no one in the US seems to want to distribute them....
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #17507
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTucker View Post
Mitas are great tires. Too bad no one in the US seems to want to distribute them....

over rated POS tires I have ever run ..yup there cheep and there nasty ..I would never fit them to another bike I own

606 rear ...mx71f on the front ..best combo I have come up with for a long time
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #17508
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
over rated POS tires I have ever run ..yup there cheep and there nasty ..I would never fit them to another bike I own

Just curious, what was wrong with them? My pig eats tires, so I am always looking for options.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #17509
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,117
I had a C20 last almost 2k miles on the rear of my XR, way longer than a 606 or any other knobby I've tried.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #17510
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygoat657 View Post
Just curious, what was wrong with them? My pig eats tires, so I am always looking for options.

shit grip ...wore out fast ..soft nobs ,,every thing there just cheap rubbish
im sorry to say but the 606 is a far better tire ..I get huge miles out of them and very predictable unlike the mitas rubbish ,,,,I tried several different models all shit IMO
but tire choice is an individual thing
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #17511
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Mitas tyres -
+ cheap
+ long lasting

- dangerous on the tarmac because they use hard compound
- questionable quality / quality control isues

If you lucky you will get decent tyre but i have heard too many people having bad experience with them . Once i have used e-09 and only problem i had was bad grip on the hard surface , but then again all nobbly tyres are not that good on road compared to propper road tyres .

Would i buy them again ? Hmmm unlikely .
Old 07-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #17512
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
You have had one hell of a time with RMATV. That sucks, I have bought a lot of stuff there and haven't had any problems except for the Primary Drive parts which suck. I would say its more a Pro-x problem though.
Story of my life brotha....just plain ol bad luck at everything. If there is such thing as Karma, in a past life I must have put kittens in a blender or something like that to get this kind of luck.

Anyway, in a bind and need some help, hopefully someone can help me find a machine shop. I've taken the crank to two different shops, and been told both could do the job to replace the rod, and both have been nothing but a waste of time.

Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that can do the job? I'm in a bind, my bike is apart, so I'm stranded here and another ADVer is waiting on me for Baja.

I'm in Nevada City, but anywhere withing say 2 or 3 hours from Sacramento would work, if need be.

Can anyone help, please? I'm really on a time crunch and am getting to the point of overstaying my welcome in my current locale.
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #17513
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
XR650R Fan install

I was going to install a fan on my xr. It runs pretty good but when the mud gets thick it can really run hot.
Most have installed the KTM fan at a price of $125 or a 4" SPAL fan. Is there any reason why the SPAL 6.5" fan wouldnt fit?
Its overall width is 7". Only an inch more than the 4" fan. It also moves twice the cfm.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...0402/overview/

What are your thoughts?
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #17514
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Not in Nor-Cal but get in contact with Chris Blais. I would not let anyone else get inside my engine. He will sort you out.

www.blaisracing.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Story of my life brotha....just plain ol bad luck at everything. If there is such thing as Karma, in a past life I must have put kittens in a blender or something like that to get this kind of luck.

Anyway, in a bind and need some help, hopefully someone can help me find a machine shop. I've taken the crank to two different shops, and been told both could do the job to replace the rod, and both have been nothing but a waste of time.

Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that can do the job? I'm in a bind, my bike is apart, so I'm stranded here and another ADVer is waiting on me for Baja.

I'm in Nevada City, but anywhere withing say 2 or 3 hours from Sacramento would work, if need be.

Can anyone help, please? I'm really on a time crunch and am getting to the point of overstaying my welcome in my current locale.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #17515
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
I was going to install a fan on my xr. It runs pretty good but when the mud gets thick it can really run hot.
Most have installed the KTM fan at a price of $125 or a 4" SPAL fan. Is there any reason why the SPAL 6.5" fan wouldnt fit?
Its overall width is 7". Only an inch more than the 4" fan. It also moves twice the cfm.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...0402/overview/

What are your thoughts?
My 4" fan is about a 1/4 in from rubbing my gas tank... Don't think I could fit anything bigger without deforming the tank with a heat gun.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #17516
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post

I run the eo9 dakar 150 on my 950 and it hands down out performs the 908rr. Its lasting well too. E10s are crappy though.
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #17517
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Not in Nor-Cal but get in contact with Chris Blais. I would not let anyone else get inside my engine. He will sort you out.

www.blaisracing.com/
unfortunately that's too far and I have no means of getting the crank there in. A timely manner.

I don't need anyone to build the engine, I can do that. I just need a new rod pressed in.

stuntheavy screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 01:51 PM
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #17518
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post

I've used Kelly on quite a few top end rebuilds. Never a bottom end, though. I would highly recommend giving him a call. He's in Loomis.
http://meticulousmetal.com/
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #17519
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Well.... got some news.

The machine shop that I had dropped the crank off at that had been giving me the run around, Machine Shop #2 that had said they could do it, infact did get it apart, and is going back together today.

In the process they cracked the gear for the counterbalance shaft. Which apparently can only be bought as an assembly with the entire new crankshaft...

Fantastic. Pretty sure no counterbalance would be uncomfortable at best, and detrimental to the engines longevity at worse.

This whole 'preventative maintenance' crank rebuild just keeps getting better and better.

Does anyone have a blown crank that they would sell the gear off of? Paypal, or whatever you need waiting, will need to have it overnighted.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #17520
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Wtb - front wheel

Fellow XR owner here (xr400) popping my head in to see if anyone has a straight and true front wheel for sale

My front has got some seized nipples (don't ya just hate that lol) and a nice dent which makes road riding a jarring experience. Thanks!
mvg2 is offline   Reply With Quote