ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #17506
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
Not in Nor-Cal but get in contact with Chris Blais. I would not let anyone else get inside my engine. He will sort you out.

www.blaisracing.com/


Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Story of my life brotha....just plain ol bad luck at everything. If there is such thing as Karma, in a past life I must have put kittens in a blender or something like that to get this kind of luck.

Anyway, in a bind and need some help, hopefully someone can help me find a machine shop. I've taken the crank to two different shops, and been told both could do the job to replace the rod, and both have been nothing but a waste of time.

Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that can do the job? I'm in a bind, my bike is apart, so I'm stranded here and another ADVer is waiting on me for Baja.

I'm in Nevada City, but anywhere withing say 2 or 3 hours from Sacramento would work, if need be.

Can anyone help, please? I'm really on a time crunch and am getting to the point of overstaying my welcome in my current locale.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #17507
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
I was going to install a fan on my xr. It runs pretty good but when the mud gets thick it can really run hot.
Most have installed the KTM fan at a price of $125 or a 4" SPAL fan. Is there any reason why the SPAL 6.5" fan wouldnt fit?
Its overall width is 7". Only an inch more than the 4" fan. It also moves twice the cfm.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sp...0402/overview/

What are your thoughts?
My 4" fan is about a 1/4 in from rubbing my gas tank... Don't think I could fit anything bigger without deforming the tank with a heat gun.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #17508
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
over rated POS tires I have ever run ..yup there cheep and there nasty ..I would never fit them to another bike I own

606 rear ...mx71f on the front ..best combo I have come up with for a long time
I run the eo9 dakar 150 on my 950 and it hands down out performs the 908rr. Its lasting well too. E10s are crappy though.
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #17509
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Not in Nor-Cal but get in contact with Chris Blais. I would not let anyone else get inside my engine. He will sort you out.

www.blaisracing.com/
unfortunately that's too far and I have no means of getting the crank there in. A timely manner.

I don't need anyone to build the engine, I can do that. I just need a new rod pressed in.

stuntheavy screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 01:51 PM
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #17510
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post

Does anyone know of a shop in northern California that can do the job? I'm in a bind, my bike is apart, so I'm stranded here and another ADVer is waiting on me for Baja.

I'm in Nevada City, but anywhere withing say 2 or 3 hours from Sacramento would work, if need be.

Can anyone help, please? I'm really on a time crunch and am getting to the point of overstaying my welcome in my current locale.

I've used Kelly on quite a few top end rebuilds. Never a bottom end, though. I would highly recommend giving him a call. He's in Loomis.
http://meticulousmetal.com/
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #17511
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Well.... got some news.

The machine shop that I had dropped the crank off at that had been giving me the run around, Machine Shop #2 that had said they could do it, infact did get it apart, and is going back together today.

In the process they cracked the gear for the counterbalance shaft. Which apparently can only be bought as an assembly with the entire new crankshaft...

Fantastic. Pretty sure no counterbalance would be uncomfortable at best, and detrimental to the engines longevity at worse.

This whole 'preventative maintenance' crank rebuild just keeps getting better and better.

Does anyone have a blown crank that they would sell the gear off of? Paypal, or whatever you need waiting, will need to have it overnighted.
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #17512
mvg2
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mvg2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 170
Wtb - front wheel

Fellow XR owner here (xr400) popping my head in to see if anyone has a straight and true front wheel for sale

My front has got some seized nipples (don't ya just hate that lol) and a nice dent which makes road riding a jarring experience. Thanks!
mvg2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #17513
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post

In the process they cracked the gear for the counterbalance shaft. Which apparently can only be bought as an assembly with the entire new crankshaft...

This exact thing happened to me...at a very expensive, big name, nationally known shop. So it can happen anywhere. Then the replacement that they pressed on was warped. I ended up buying a second blown crank, had the gear pulled, then pressed on to the good crank. It was a long and maddening process.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #17514
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
This exact thing happened to me...at a very expensive, big name, nationally known shop. So it can happen anywhere. Then the replacement that they pressed on was warped. I ended up buying a second blown crank, had the gear pulled, then pressed on to the good crank. It was a long and maddening process.
I believe I read your story.

The fact you can't buy the gear separately is crazy. I don't know what to do. If I can't get one, I may end up have to call an end to the trip.
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #17515
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle
 
bill pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Rockford, Wa
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
I believe I read your story.

The fact you can't buy the gear separately is crazy. I don't know what to do. If I can't get one, I may end up have to call an end to the trip.
Is it one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-X...013703&vxp=mtr
__________________
____________________________________________
bikes
BMW R1100s,destroyed by deer strike.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #17516
spartanman
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 1,077
Let's see your windscreen!

Thinking of adding a small windscreen to my XRR and could use some ideas.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #17517
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider
 
Oddfellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Thinking of adding a small windscreen to my XRR and could use some ideas.
Tried to pick up one of these:



From Motorcyclegear.com , they had them on closeout at $89.95 but were on a wait. Got the notice in the middle of the night and logged on in the morning and they were already gone. They are back in stock now but twice the price. I have aftermarket bars and was willing to tke a chance at $90 but at $200, I'll pass.
__________________
Oddfellow

'06 Suzuki DR200SE
'05 Honda XR650R
'14 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #17518
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Well.... got some news.

The machine shop that I had dropped the crank off at that had been giving me the run around, Machine Shop #2 that had said they could do it, infact did get it apart, and is going back together today.

In the process they cracked the gear for the counterbalance shaft. Which apparently can only be bought as an assembly with the entire new crankshaft...

Fantastic. Pretty sure no counterbalance would be uncomfortable at best, and detrimental to the engines longevity at worse.

This whole 'preventative maintenance' crank rebuild just keeps getting better and better.

Does anyone have a blown crank that they would sell the gear off of? Paypal, or whatever you need waiting, will need to have it overnighted.
I hate to hear that.
If you get a used crank? consider installing the new rod on it, assuming it is serviceable?
To get the gear off without a special puller that is proven on the XR crank may prove double costly.
Personally I would sacrifice the donor crank by dissembling halves then drill and borie the flywheel shaft off the counterweight
Then the gear will be easy to remove without damage.
I hope the shop is going to help with your issue? as the labor time forward is higher than normal
Also the 650r crank needs a few special Items to service, If the shop does not have them or don't take the time to to make them they may repeat the same problem.
Good luck
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #17519
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Can anyone produce a picture of the balancer gear and how it is timed to the crankshaft? Particularly interested in whrre the notch is and where the hole is, along with orientation (one side has a larger shoulder).


They did a good job on the rod replacement and everything appears as it should. They had a couple tools they built for the job that he showed me. Just that damn gear...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #17520
cognugget
n00b
 
cognugget's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Washington State
Oddometer: 243
Cool2

__________________
Plated XR650R
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015