ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #17596
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ride4fun562's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: CA
Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
So I took the XR out for the 1st time Wednesday. Had some awesome fun hitting about 250 miles of single track, two track, atv trails, and gravel roads. On the way home, Something in the motor broke... All of the sudden I lost compression and then clunk, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK!!! Piston slap galore. I need to now tear into the motor to see what failed. Aren't these bikes supposed to be built for baja1000? I destroyed it doing Idaho250...
My heavily used brp carried me 6000 miles without a problem and who knows how many it had before i got it. Don't get discouraged Just rebuild it and it will be reliable for a long time
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #17597
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Sean, you lucky devil you, three weeks?
No.
Nottachance.
I'm NOT green with envy...




Be safe, have fun & Enjoy!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #17598
Sean-0
straya carnt
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mumblebum Northern NSW
Oddometer: 4,437
First night out ....bloody cold 4 deg

Sent from my phone while swerving over the road in my car
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #17599
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Woundflatout's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Portlandia
Oddometer: 499
Piggy For Sale just listed in Flea Market

Just listed my 03 Street legal XR in the main Flea Market, if anyone is looking for a well sorted piggy.
__________________
Jason Slutsky
PROUD TO BE RIFF RAFF
'09 Husaberg FE570
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #17600
Hodakaguy
NorthWest Adventure Rider
 
Hodakaguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Eastern WA State
Oddometer: 2,095
Hi guys..shameless plug . For those who have been waiting for tanker braces I'm taking orders again now. I have a batch that will be ready to ship by the end of the week. Sorry for the Looooong delay in getting these fabricated for all those who have been waiting.

Link to my Brace ad: CLICK HERE

Hodakaguy


Welding braces this weekend :-)


__________________
NV 2012 - In Memory of the Crewmen RR: CLICK HERE
Adventure Is Out There - NV RR: CLICK HERE
Riding Through History - NV RR: CLICK HERE
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #17601
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Pics of my new toy





Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
So I took the XR out for the 1st time Wednesday. Had some awesome fun hitting about 250 miles of single track, two track, atv trails, and gravel roads. On the way home, Something in the motor broke... All of the sudden I lost compression and then clunk, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK!!! Piston slap galore. I need to now tear into the motor to see what failed. Aren't these bikes supposed to be built for baja1000? I destroyed it doing Idaho250...
? This one did not look clapped out at all??? Choke flap on choke butterfly? Yikes.
I'd be curious to know what happened to this one.
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 PM   #17602
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
A little pig porn for a sunday evening...

I'm finally feeling comfortable with the bike after a solid 3 months of dicking around with things.

sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #17603
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
Anyone have any better luck than me with the Failsafe thermostats? I picked one up to install in my bike and it appears to have failed open after 3 months?

I'm gonna give another one a shot and I guess if it fails i'll go back to running w/o a thermostat.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #17604
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Anyone have any better luck than me with the Failsafe thermostats? I picked one up to install in my bike and it appears to have failed open after 3 months?

I'm gonna give another one a shot and I guess if it fails i'll go back to running w/o a thermostat.
I have realigned the parts and the thermostat will close and work again.
Not sure if that is your case?
The XRs Only thermostats have worked the longest for me not sure who makes them?
But the best solution so far has been to add a fan then the thermostat wont open so far as to come apart.
But that requires a DC system and such so?
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #17605
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: So.Cal
Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I have realigned the parts and the thermostat will close and work again.
Not sure if that is your case?
The XRs Only thermostats have worked the longest for me not sure who makes them?
But the best solution so far has been to add a fan then the thermostat wont open so far as to come apart.
But that requires a DC system and such so?
I've done that once already. I pulled the thermostat out, found it stuck open. I "unstuck it" and then proceeded to test it in a pot of water. It appeared to work normal, and even closed up correctly after cooling down. So I figured I fixed it =)

Looks like its open again? I'm gonna check it out when I do a coolant change later this month.

I did install a SPAL fan last month, but have not gotten much use of it yet, its actually been pretty cool.

I did note that there is a 195* version of the Motorad (failsafe) thermostat. I might try that one, since its closer to the OEM specs.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #17606
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Yo Hodaka,

you once sold your Piglet, same like Chris did (I believe?).
I was wondering, you never got pining back for it? And if not, what did you replace it with & what kinda riding do you do?
Just curious...


Btw, shameless support here for your braces, they're decent stuff
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #17607
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
I've done that once already. I pulled the thermostat out, found it stuck open. I "unstuck it" and then proceeded to test it in a pot of water. It appeared to work normal, and even closed up correctly after cooling down. So I figured I fixed it =)

Looks like its open again? I'm gonna check it out when I do a coolant change later this month.

I did install a SPAL fan last month, but have not gotten much use of it yet, its actually been pretty cool.

I did note that there is a 195* version of the Motorad (failsafe) thermostat. I might try that one, since its closer to the OEM specs.

I have been running the xrsonly for 2? years now and checked it last week and it is still in working order.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #17608
evl_twn
Adventurer
 
evl_twn's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Central IL
Oddometer: 22
Wheel/tire suggestions?

I'm planning on a bit of a road/trail trip next month, and would like some input on what tires to get. Right now, my XR is set up as a motard, street legal if I put the Baja Designs kit back on. It's still set up for the track right now:

http://www.rc30.us/images/track/grat...x09/04572L.jpg

Here's the plan: heading south from IL and slabbing the interstate about 500 miles to meet up with a friend to run 4-5 days on the TAT, then slab home so I'll need something that will grip in the TAT, but still function for the ride down and back. I converted to the motard wheels right after I bought the bike, but I still have the stock wheels.

I've been looking at both TKC's and K60's, but the bigger question is which wheel set to run? I can get acceptable tire sizes for either wheel set, the TKC is available in 120/70-17 front and 150/70-17 rear so they would fit right up on the 'tard wheels. I could probably use the 120/90-17 and 150/70-17 K60's also, or mix and match the TKC front with K60 rear.

Or, either tire set on the stock wheels. The big question for me is what wheel set would be the best for the oddball mixture of interstates and TAT?
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #17609
larryboy
Chopper Rider
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: On a set of 50,000 mile tires.
Oddometer: 14,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
you once sold your Piglet, same like Chris did (I believe?).
I was wondering, you never got pining back for it? And if not, what did you replace it with & what kinda riding do you do?
Just curious...



I sold my first XRR, well, traded it for another bike. That one was fully dialed in, ride around the world style. I didn't have any trips planned and it was collecting dust.

Found a screaming deal on another one. Was in the process of plating it, put a DS wiring kit and head light on it. Then I about broke my right ankle at a punk show , yeah, I know...I'm too old, but damn it's fun!! I passed the bike onto another inmate for what I had into it. A buddy came over Sunday with an old kick only XR600 and almost a year after I hurt my ankle I couldn't kick it over.

I only ride alone and I'm done with kick only bikes. I wish Honda would put an electric start 650R engine in an updated street legal bike and I'd buy one.

The only thumper I see in my future is a new Beta 520 because they make their own engines now and it has an FCR carb on it. It's as close as I can find to an electric start XR650R, it's lighter by 50 pounds so it should perform about the same as the big XRR.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #17610
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
XFanMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Mostly Miserable Michigan
Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
I'm planning on a bit of a road/trail trip next month, and would like some input on what tires to get. Right now, my XR is set up as a motard, street legal if I put the Baja Designs kit back on. It's still set up for the track right now:

http://www.rc30.us/images/track/grat...x09/04572L.jpg

Here's the plan: heading south from IL and slabbing the interstate about 500 miles to meet up with a friend to run 4-5 days on the TAT, then slab home so I'll need something that will grip in the TAT, but still function for the ride down and back. I converted to the motard wheels right after I bought the bike, but I still have the stock wheels.

I've been looking at both TKC's and K60's, but the bigger question is which wheel set to run? I can get acceptable tire sizes for either wheel set, the TKC is available in 120/70-17 front and 150/70-17 rear so they would fit right up on the 'tard wheels. I could probably use the 120/90-17 and 150/70-17 K60's also, or mix and match the TKC front with K60 rear.

Or, either tire set on the stock wheels. The big question for me is what wheel set would be the best for the oddball mixture of interstates and TAT?
What part of the TAT are you running? There's a big difference between the eastern and western sections from my understanding and will dictate what tires you need.
__________________
SCOTT---BIG DREAMS - small wallet
KTM Superduke R, Honda XR650R, Triumph Trophy
XFanMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015