KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,321
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #17672
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
This is one huge thread, so apologies if this has been posted before....

I currently have a KTM 950 SuperEnduro. I love it, but time for a change.

Any opinions of going from the 950 to the BRP?

My background is childhood of semi-pro enduro, and I now do circa 15k miles per year road touring, plus 20 odd days of off road. I don't want two bikes, and my road riding is so quick I have to limit myself with power (speeding tickets etc)

I've always wanted a BRP, as I ended my racing career on a KX500 just as the Honda came out. Just a bit worried about all my miles.... Figuring an oil cooler to boost oil quantity and increase service intervals?

Any thoughts appreciated :)

bigkuri screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 12:12 AM
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #17673
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
Splendid, just what the doc ordered, thanks!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #17674
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post

My background is childhood of semi-pro enduro, and I now do circa 15k miles per year road touring, plus 20 odd days of off road. I don't want two bikes, and my road riding is so quick I have to limit myself with power.

I've always wanted a BRP, as I excited my racing career on a KX500 just as the Honda came out. Just a bit worried about all my miles.... Figuring an oil cooler to boost oil quantity and increase service intervals?

Baja designs (I think it was them) used to make an oil cooler but it's out of production now. I've looked at the return line going into the frame and know that a cooler/auxiliary tank is possible. No vendor to my knowledge makes one though. The xr frame seems to act as a big heat sink for the oil and it doesn't seem to get all that hot. An inmate several pages back reported reasonable oil temps in hot weather, but I can't remember the numbers.

I personally wouldn't want to do 15k (miles?) A year touring on the xr. Its a fun bike for sure, but I dont know how you'd like it coming off a 950. I've never ridden a 950 though. Sorry, that didn't sound very helpful.

Check out the xr650r adventure conversions thread for some inspiration. There are a lot of awesome bikes in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #17675
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,858
Quote:

My background is childhood of semi-pro enduro, and I now do circa 15k miles per year road touring, plus 20 odd days of off road. I don't want two bikes, and my road riding is so quick I have to limit myself with power.

I've always wanted a BRP, as I excited my racing career on a KX500 just as the Honda came out. Just a bit worried about all my miles.... Figuring an oil cooler to boost oil quantity and increase service intervals?

I don't know your physical size, but that is the only really big issue you may come up with. The BRP is just a smaller bike (duh!), but it fits smaller. I'm 6-feet, 1-inch tall (sorry, 'merican....), and I still find the BRP a bit tight in the cockpit after a long boring road ride. On the tighter stuff, though, it works much better for me. My brother has and SE, and I have a 950 Adventure, so I've been down this road. I've ridden my XR to Utah and back (supported), my KTM to Death Valley and back (unsupported). On the highways and byways, the 950's shine. On backcountry dirt roads, it's about a wash at the end of the day. On the tigher/rougher stuff, the XR shines. In all honesty, if I had to choose between the two for one bike, I'm more inclined to the XR650R. The one advantage of the 950 for me is having passenger accommodations for my boys (well, one at a time....).

And if you sell the 950 for the XR, you will surely miss that sweet engine/exhaust noise.
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #17676
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,297

Scott Summers rack in F/M.

Link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907322
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #17677
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys, useful :)

Will check out the XR650 Adventure mod thread :)

I'm 6'2" and pretty solid, but no giant, so size is not an issue.

On a tour of the Swiss Alps last week three of my mates were done for speeding, $2k each on the spot fine. No one knows how I escaped as I was several minutes in the lead....
My riding is increasingly focused back on the dirt; Morocco this November, Iceland next year, etc..

The real issue will be actually finding a decent bike here in the UK.... The prices here have recently gone utterly nuts, not helping things.

bigkuri screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 12:41 AM
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #17678
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,109
I am lucky enough to have both bikes. The XR is a great dual sport bike and fills the gap between the SE and smaller dirt bike. I sold my first SE and ended up getting another one a year later. My advise would be to have them both.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 AM   #17679
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Thanks guys, useful :)

Will check out the XR650 Adventure mod thread :)

I'm 6'2" and pretty solid, but no giant, so size is not an issue.

On a tour of the Swiss Alps last week three of my mates were done for speeding, $2k each on the spot fine. No one knows how I escaped as I was several minutes in the lead....
My riding is increasingly focused back on the dirt; Morocco this November, Iceland next year, etc..

The real issue will be actually finding a decent bike here in the UK.... The prices here have recently gone utterly nuts, not helping things.
Hey Bigkuri, I have ridden an XRR extensively in the UK, even doing a few tight woods enduros. The best fun for me though was the northern Wales mountain roads pinning it in corners TT style with walls on either side. They are very forgiving on the road and surprisingly quick, and a massive laugh!

I also did Morocco and although the road down there was not that comfortable, the bike didn't miss a beat and what a hoot in the sand compared to a big trailie. For that sort if trip where the dirt at the end is a big reason why you are going, the XR is perfect. JMo another inmate will attest to that, she extensively toured on her XR and then raced it.

I wouldn't expect the bike to save you from speeding though, you will be surprised how fast these bikes can go, and how fast they get to speed compared to heavy road bikes.

Anyway just my experience, hope it helps a little with your decision. I am also about 6'2" and find it just right, but with raised bar clamps for standing.

Good luck finding a good one, they are out there!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #17680
Stevevh
Kudu Driver

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Just a heads up to all the xrr owners since we are on the subject. I replaced one of my oem rads with a Myler's radiator. http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/

Well made units, heavier duty. more capacity, fully welded/bonded or whatever, and they are under $150 a side. They are assembled in the U.S. (Utah), but not sure if that is the same as made in the U.S.

Put one on the crf250 also, no issues with fitting.
Very interested in going this route for some new radiators! How was fitment and install? I just installed a full Staintune system and not sure if the header will cause problems! Also I was reading that oversized radiators might cool the engine too much in the cooler months...any truth to this? You would think the thermostat would keep the temps where they should be!
Stevevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #17681
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Thumb rad rads

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
those are some nice looking rads! thanks for the details.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #17682
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I am lucky enough to have both bikes. The XR is a great dual sport bike and fills the gap between the SE and smaller dirt bike. I sold my first SE and ended up getting another one a year later. My advise would be to have them both.
I fully imagine there is another SE in my future, that is for sure. Great bikes, but for now I just need something a bit smaller, less power, and cheaper (as house-buying looms....)

You are lucky to have both!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #17683
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Hey Bigkuri, I have ridden an XRR extensively in the UK, even doing a few tight woods enduros. The best fun for me though was the northern Wales mountain roads pinning it in corners TT style with walls on either side. They are very forgiving on the road and surprisingly quick, and a massive laugh!

I also did Morocco and although the road down there was not that comfortable, the bike didn't miss a beat and what a hoot in the sand compared to a big trailie. For that sort if trip where the dirt at the end is a big reason why you are going, the XR is perfect. JMo another inmate will attest to that, she extensively toured on her XR and then raced it.

I wouldn't expect the bike to save you from speeding though, you will be surprised how fast these bikes can go, and how fast they get to speed compared to heavy road bikes.

Anyway just my experience, hope it helps a little with your decision. I am also about 6'2" and find it just right, but with raised bar clamps for standing.

Good luck finding a good one, they are out there!
Many thanks :) Useful to get your opinion, and I think by looking at the XR650R Adventure thread I have been now fully swayed :) There are some amazing bikes on that thread!

So SuperEnduro is up for sale, and now the wait for the right XR650R begins.... :)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #17684
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Many thanks :) Useful to get your opinion, and I think by looking at the XR650R Adventure thread I have been now fully swayed :) There are some amazing bikes on that thread!

So SuperEnduro is up for sale, and now the wait for the right XR650R begins.... :)

I also have the 950 Adventure and my 650R. Love the R for the tighter rides, but its still very do able with the 950. The 650 is just much more of a dirt bike and can be ridden like that a lot easier. I also find myself going twice the speed on the 950 though.
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #17685
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
I need a set, dual core instead of the OEM single - but I need to modify the RHS-one at the bottom to allow space for that humongous tank.
Do's a fave and send me a pic of yours? Then I can see if I'll be able to rework them, specifically the bottom-cup of the rh-rad.
the rad tanks will fit. you need to rotate the bottom and top pipes to fit. cut them off and re-weld in the right direction. sorry I haven't been of much help mate, where are you up to with the build?

iam just not ready to be an adult
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote