ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #17731
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
..... and within seconds a plethora of posts fly in so my previous post looks dated by default.
Thanks LB for not disappointing
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #17732
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
The howl is because the inner and outer basket fingers are hammered...like done, junk. See all those neat little indentations where the clutch fingers engage the basket fingers? Yeah, they're not supposed to be there.

Get a Hinson outer basket and a new Honda inner hub. If money is tight you can file/sand the ridges out and get some more life out of it.

The in/out basket play is normal, but a new bushing won't hurt.
mine is all torn down now, but i had slight indentations on my basket, never howled though, and i'm pretty sure its stock plates.
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Under the Knife) LINK
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #17733
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
..... and within seconds a plethora of posts fly in so my previous post looks dated by default.
Thanks LB for not disappointing




Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
mine is all torn down now, but i had slight indentations on my basket, never howled though, and i'm pretty sure its stock plates.

I'd run that one awhile yet. First symptoms will be a strange delay to clutch engagement, like the cable is getting frayed and hanging. As it gets worse, it'll chirp and howl as you roll away in first.

The one in the video a page back is super bad, I'd replace the hub and outer basket on that one.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #17734
tannerc
Pig Pilot
 
tannerc's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: SOuth dakOTA
Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post



The one in the video a page back is super bad, I'd replace the hub and outer basket on that one.
Thanks for the help

New basket lock nut and bushing on the way. Going to take some measurements and try smoothing out the basket in the video see if it will get me through the rest of the season. Going to end up ordering a hinson I guess.
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #17735
Stonethrowa
Hack
 
Stonethrowa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 13
Tanked

I am sure its been asked before but here I go
Clarke 4.3 vs IMS 4.6
I have the Clarke in red (going natural now) and I don't think the fitment was that good So is it worth the extra bucks and getting IMS
Stonethrowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #17736
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LVCJT's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Sin City Baby
Oddometer: 184
Got a question for the experts. I'm checking the valves on my neighbors 01 pig and the valves are super tight. Would this contribute to excessive oil consumption? All of the valves are tight.



Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #17737
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle
 
bill pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Rockford, Wa
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDwlr View Post
Got a question for the experts. I'm checking the valves on my neighbors 01 pig and the valves are super tight. Would this contribute to excessive oil consumption? All of the valves are tight.
No, but it will make it hard to start.
__________________
____________________________________________
bikes
BMW R1100s,destroyed by deer strike.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #17738
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonethrowa View Post
I am sure its been asked before but here I go
Clarke 4.3 vs IMS 4.6
I have the Clarke in red (going natural now) and I don't think the fitment was that good So is it worth the extra bucks and getting IMS
Yes, got dual IMSs and the fitment is superb. Also got a Clarke, and am disappointed for your same reasons, plus I find the finish not as good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDwlr View Post
I'm checking the valves on my neighbors 01 pig and the valves are super tight. Would this contribute to excessive oil consumption? All of the valves are tight.
Should not be but '2001' is more likely to contribute to this. And, if the valves are tight due to them having run out of adjustment (ie hammered into the seats) then off the hat must come..
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #17739
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yes, got dual IMSs and the fitment is superb. Also got a Clarke, and am disappointed for your same reasons, plus I find the finish not as good.

I got rid of a 4.6 IMS because you can't get to a good portion of fuel in the left lobe, solid .8 gallon isn't usable.


Anybody need some front springs? .49 rate, used in the forks on my 1150GS, just swapped out to .76's. I figured the .49's would be sacked out, but they're still right at spec length.






You pick up and I'll trade for beer or something. Have to get $$ if I ship them...offered to the XRR threaders first. FM come Moanday.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #17740
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Anybody need some front springs? .49 rate, used in the forks on my 1150GS, just swapped out to .76's. I figured the .49's would be sacked out, but they're still right at spec length.
PM sent!
__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #17741
Dave JP
BRP Rider
 
Dave JP's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Tucson, AZ
Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonethrowa View Post
I am sure its been asked before but here I go
Clarke 4.3 vs IMS 4.6
I have the Clarke in red (going natural now) and I don't think the fitment was that good So is it worth the extra bucks and getting IMS
I have both tanks and did not have trouble with the fit.

Rumor has it that the earlier IMS tanks had a slight fit issue (???).

Dave
Dave JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #17742
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider
 
Oddfellow's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I got rid of a 4.6 IMS because you can't get to a good portion of fuel in the left lobe, solid .8 gallon isn't usable.


Anybody need some front springs? .49 rate, used in the forks on my 1150GS, just swapped out to .76's. I figured the .49's would be sacked out, but they're still right at spec length.






You pick up and I'll trade for beer or something. Have to get $$ if I ship them...offered to the XRR threaders first. FM come Moanday.
I just did the petcock fuel line fix on my 4.6 IMS as outline in this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=9307 working great so far. No more laying the bike on it's side to get that last .8 gallons!
__________________
Oddfellow

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure (Beasty)
'05 Honda XR650R (Mr. Bill)
'12 Sprinter Sportsmobile RB50 w/PH
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #17743
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southern Illinois
Oddometer: 264
Anybody need some front springs? .49 rate, used in the forks on my 1150GS, just swapped out to .76's. I figured the .49's would be sacked out, but they're still right at spec length.






You pick up and I'll trade for beer or something. Have to get $$ if I ship them...offered to the XRR threaders first. FM come Moanday.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
PM sent!
If Pete passes on the springs let me know, I will need to do a susp. upgrade by the end of this riding season....
__________________
I am not a ADV profile stalker, but a fat fingered Galaxy Tab user.
Craiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #17744
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
If Pete passes on the springs let me know, I will need to do a susp. upgrade by the end of this riding season....

Looks like PeteN95 is getting them.


__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #17745
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck
 
dogsslober's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Morgan Hill Ca
Oddometer: 671
My 650R

Such a great bike
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014