Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #18136
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
i know, there is a 2007 in my area going for $3600! and its been listed for several months.

Part of the problem is people want to use KBB when they are shopping for used bikes. KBB is notoriously out of touch with the actual market. Especially bikes like plated and titled XRRs. My Craigslist ads get several wacky emails a day! Offers to trade for junk, or lowball offers, or "KBB says..." emails. If I wanted a 600cc inline 4 sportbike though, I could have my choice in trades!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #18137
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Gawd you guys, can't you spot a joke when you see one? I thought it was pretty damn clever myself.
It kind of brought to mind that old saying... "youth and enthusiasm will never overcome old age and treachery"
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #18138
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yo Digga,

Yip, you're useless allright
Luckily Glenn helped me a stack, got rads ordered (slightly modded, they will fit) now thanks to his help & PWR's. You Ozzis seem to be a good bunch, so you can't be too useless then. Mind, some pics are still very welcome!

Once all is on/in/at I'll post some pics here, then you'll see why I did things they way I am doing it. Got the tank's supports fully sorted idea-wise, have some parts ordered from a machine shop, and all will be good. Then the bike will go to an exhaust farmer who will grow some tubes between all, and I'm busy with the rear hanger for the silencer aka doitall-bracket also.
Need to find a suitable coolant tank still, it has to go here.
On this, which bike has a small one on the right hand side, anybody knows???

Edit: I mean a coolant tank in/under/near the rhs sidecover?
the stock coolant tank fits neat
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #18139
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Does this light make my ass look big?

Ok,
Cosmetic opinion question. After a couple of hairy get-offs I thoroughly destroyed my Baja Designs headlight, signals, well... the whole fairing.

I am trying to figure what I should replace the headlight with.

Then I remembered the box of gear off my old Jeep!

I SPIT on your 8" Racelights!

This 10" Lightforce monster is focusable like a Maglite that may help with the rest of the motoring public.

What do you think? Too big? Just ridiculous? Full Disclosure: This is a cheap light solution. And, frankly, it is purely poser as I have next to no opportunity to ride in an environment that will allow me to really make use of this light, AND if I were in such an environment, my skill level would have me plowing into fixed objects, mother earth, other riders, etc.

So, better to give me a cosmetic opinion, than too much technical desert/trail performance advice. I know this thing will help me get home when the sun goes down. But, a little tech wouldn't hurt.

Thoughts? Comments? Smart Remarks?

5hortbus screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 06:05 AM
5hortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #18140
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
Bigger...isn't always better.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #18141
digga1111
bann ed

... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.

digga1111 screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 10:53 PM
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #18142
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortbus View Post
Ok,
Cosmetic opinion question. After a couple of hairy get-offs I thoroughly destroyed my Baja Designs headlight, signals, well... the whole fairing.

This 10" Lightforce monster is focusable like a Maglite that may help with the rest of the motoring public.

What do you think? Too big? Just ridiculous? Full Disclosure: This is a cheap light solution. And, frankly, it is purely poser as I have next to no opportunity to ride in an environment that will allow me to really make use of this light, AND if I were in such an environment, my skill level would have me plowing into fixed objects, mother earth, other riders, etc.

So, better to give me a cosmetic opinion, than too much technical desert/trail performance advice. I know this thing will help me get home when the sun goes down. But, a little tech wouldn't hurt.

I think it looks alright, if you do. might want to think of some type ofprotection for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post

neat idea, but i missed the point or function of this over the stock location.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #18143
digga1111
bann ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
I think it looks alright, if you do. might want to think of some type ofprotection for it though.

neat idea, but i missed the point or function of this over the stock location.
it just doesn't fit there anymore
Old 09-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #18144
dsilver1007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Ok,

Looks cool and is cheap lighting. Good combination in my opinion!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #18145
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
As I mentioned a few pages back there was some forward/back (not side to side) play in the CS sprocket. There is some wear is on the front most splines that hold the CS bracket in place. The old bracket that held on the CS sprocket was fairly chewed up on its teeth.

I guess what I am saying is should it be tight/no play, or is a little acceptable/normal?

some play is normal. Flip the retainer. The retainer is what determines the side play. Also check the retainer grove width. Replace the retainer next time you order some oem parts. Make sure your swing arm bearings are free of slop.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #18146
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Ok,

That ain't a whole lot different than what I run. Go with it. Convert it to 75w HID and you could really piss people off. It probably would make a train swerve out of your way.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #18147
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
some play is normal. Flip the retainer. The retainer is what determines the side play. Also check the retainer grove width. Replace the retainer next time you order some oem parts. Make sure your swing arm bearings are free of slop.
I am replacing the bearings in the swingarm and I am slapping on a new retainer. Is there a 'right' way for the retainer? Thanks!
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #18148
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 762
lights

5hortbus,

Copied from ride report FYI
Please don't spit on mine...
Not the best solution, just what I run!
10" is always better, as she always says, just protect it!
Trailtech. 8" Halogen, I run mine with a 65 watt PIAA!
I also have the little aluminum dash they make to hold a bunch of electronics! I also run a plastic shield over the top ziptied to the outer protective tube to keep rocks from breaking the glass lens!
I'll include some pics!
Pros: it is a great light, I choose halogen over HID because in the dust HID makes it look like its snowing! bad
People can see the light, hopefully no one turns left in front of me! KOW
With the plastic shield protecting it it is bullet proof, well at least rock proof!
Dust gets between the plastic and the lens ruining the pattern of light, but it is easy to clean by cutting two zip ties and getting behind with some cleaner, I use Behold or whatever furniture cleaner as I get for a buck at the dollar store and transfer to a small pump sprayer to fit in the tank bag! Plexius is way too expensive for me!
Cons: It is heavy, the whole setup!
No high/low beam, just a knob on top to change the angle of attack of the
projection path of the beam, you can do it on the fly on the road if you
need to
Easy to remove the light if and only if you wire correctly and have a bunch of quick disconnects
Hid is expensive halogen about half the cost
Would I do it again.... yes and no
Weight, cost, easy to remove... dual HID/halogen setup Is prolly the way to go for me next time
I would probably look at a halogen low beam HID high that fits in a regular number plate like the BD Tecate or numerous other ones out there now
I would also wire them in the European style so I could run the high and low together vs one or the other!

[/QUOTE]

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #18149
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I am replacing the bearings in the swingarm and I am slapping on a new retainer. Is there a 'right' way for the retainer? Thanks!
I don't think so, as long as one side is not worn. Now I am doubting myself without the bike in front of me, but as long as the holes line up and the bolts go in, it is good.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #18150
kevinwestbrook86
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Looking for XR650R supermoto rotor
LEt me know,
kevinwestbrook86 is offline   Reply With Quote