Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #18241
Bench Racer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Nope, you leave the idle system well alone, in fact I'd revert to the 68S again.
You need to change the main, obviously, as anything above ~1/8 throttle is fed by this jet. Run rich? Smaller main, and vice versa. And, only when you've got the main ballpark you start fiddling with the needleclip, as this thing only finetunes.
Before all though, clean airfilter, clean tank, fuel filter, clean carb with correct float level set is what you make sure of.
Thanks for the help. I changed the main from a 168 to a 162. What a difference. It runs great. I changed the pilot back to the 65s too. It did help with the idle. The bike sounds good and runs strong.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #18242
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Carb running out of fuel. After 600-700 meters.

I put the stock carb back in today after pulling out the Mikuni. The stock carb fired straight up and idle quite well once the air/fuel and the idle adjustment was massaged.
Once I took it for a short ride it powered up well and pulled like it should. However within 600-700 meters (straight line, paved asphalt) it began to bog and eventually stall like it was running out of fuel.

I was thinking that perhaps the float valve was sticking and not allowing in fuel or the petcock/fuel line has some sort of obstruction.
What does the group think?
Anyone had a similar issue?
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #18243
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Does anyone else have gearing recomendations for dual sport usage?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #18244
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
[QUOTE=1bigrn;22440960]I put the stock carb back in today after pulling out the Mikuni. The stock carb fired straight up and idle quite well once the air/fuel and the idle adjustment was massaged.
Once I took it for a short ride it powered up well and pulled like it should. However within 600-700 meters (straight line, paved asphalt) it began to bog and eventually stall like it was running out of fuel.

I was thinking that perhaps the float valve was sticking and not allowing in fuel or the petcock/fuel line has some sort of obstruction.
What does the group think?
Anyone had a similar issue?

Basics,
  1. Check fuel flow out the carby supply hose
  2. Check fuel tank breather hose
  3. Remove rubber seal under the fuel tank cap and check breather passages are clear
  4. Check carby float bowl breather hoses are not blocked or kinked (cut an inch or so off their length to ensure no blockages)
  5. Check fuel filter (if you have one)
Regards,

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #18245
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Does anyone else have gearing recomendations for dual sport usage?
I like 15/48 or 45. The 48 is for more dirt, 45 for less dirt.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #18246
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
I like 15/48 or 45. The 48 is for more dirt, 45 for less dirt.
That's about what I use most frequently. Or 14/45 for quicker changes I only have the 14/15 front and 45/48 rear. So I just use those combos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #18247
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAxeYarYar View Post
Ive been running the Globetrottin subframe and its worked out well.

http://www.globetrottin.com/Steel-su...650R_p_16.html

The subframe held up well, happy with it!

I could be wrong on this one, but I recall a few years back someone posted a problem with using the steel subframe. The extra rigidity of the subframe caused the mounting points in the Aluminum main frame to crack. Am I all wet here? I've been resisting the move to a steel sub-frame for this reason.
I hope I'm wrong.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #18248
xr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Giant loop mojavi + rear rack?

Hi!

I have a "Moto Pro Billet" rear rack on my BRP.

I donīt really like carrying to much weight on the rack because of weight distribution issues + that fact that i have problems putting my leg over the beast at technical woods riding .

I like what I have read concerning the The Giant Loop Mojavi.

1. Will It work together with my rack? (havent seen picutres of Mojavi + rear rack)

2. I, like most BRP owners, have done some drilling in the left side panel, will the Mojavi bag cover this holes?
xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #18249
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I could be wrong on this one, but I recall a few years back someone posted a problem with using the steel subframe. The extra rigidity of the subframe caused the mounting points in the Aluminum main frame to crack. Am I all wet here? I've been resisting the move to a steel sub-frame for this reason.
I hope I'm wrong.
You are correct.
In the case of an accident type load the extra stiffness can greatly increase the potential to break the casting on the right side of the frame more so as the stiffness of the sub frame increases.

And while repairing cast aluminum is Doable, It usually is always less structural than before. Possibly rendering your frame useless.

I don't crash often but when I do its usually hard, for that reason I stuck with the stock sub frame.

I would rather replace a sub frame than the main frame.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #18250
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Thanks guys!

I don't really understand the usefulness of the stock looking sub frame. Ok, it's steel. But, you can't tie in a pannier system to it. Now the sub frame with the rack over the rear fender. That at least looks like you could tie in a pannier systen to the sub frame.

Am I missing something...?

At one time he offered bolt on side racks that were nearly perfect for Wolfman luggage. That's what I have.

I used both the Wolfman and Coyote on my trip.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #18251
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You are correct.
In the case of an accident type load the extra stiffness can greatly increase the potential to break the casting on the right side of the frame more so as the stiffness of the sub frame increases.

And while repairing cast aluminum is Doable, It usually is always less structural than before. Possibly rendering your frame useless.

I don't crash often but when I do its usually hard, for that reason I stuck with the stock sub frame.

I would rather replace a sub frame than the main frame.
the steel bracing in the top legs of the sub frame is specifically placed to ensure any load put forward to the main frame is directly inline, greatly reducing the possibility of a frame breakage.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #18252
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 View Post
Hi!

I have a "Moto Pro Billet" rear rack on my BRP.

I donīt really like carrying to much weight on the rack because of weight distribution issues + that fact that i have problems putting my leg over the beast at technical woods riding .

I like what I have read concerning the The Giant Loop Mojavi.

1. Will It work together with my rack? (havent seen picutres of Mojavi + rear rack)

2. I, like most BRP owners, have done some drilling in the left side panel, will the Mojavi bag cover this holes?
I had the same rack on my pig, Personally I didn't like it with the GL bags, GL did their homework, the bags work great on dirt-bikes. I have the Coyote and mojavi and Man- Racks rear fender/ subframe brace?( bags work fine without it though). Pm me your email and I'll shoot you some pic's if you want. ADVrider is not letting me post photos for some reason.

Jim

Dorothy Parker
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #18253
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
At one time he offered bolt on side racks that were nearly perfect for Wolfman luggage. That's what I have.

I used both the Wolfman and Coyote on my trip.
Pictures of combined set up, please...
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #18254
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I hope I'm wrong.
That sounds possible. But, I'm no engineer. I'm never going to camp off the bike. So, it's hotel for me. That means the GL bags that I have will work.

I'm planning a BMW HPN build. That bike will have hard luggage on it.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #18255
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Pictures of combined set up, please...

Pictures in my "Go, Get Lost - Heading South" ride report on the sig. Weight and packing was revised (or lost) in Baja, but I think there are some pictures of the racks, etc.

Currently I just have the subframe mounted and the bolt on racks are off. If I end up selling my XRR, the whole set-up will be for sale. No idea if and when that would happen though. I'd part everything aftermarket on the bike and just sell XRR stock.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote