Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #18256
xr6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Giant loop mojavi + rear rack?

Hi!

I have a "Moto Pro Billet" rear rack on my BRP.

I donīt really like carrying to much weight on the rack because of weight distribution issues + that fact that i have problems putting my leg over the beast at technical woods riding .

I like what I have read concerning the The Giant Loop Mojavi.

1. Will It work together with my rack? (havent seen picutres of Mojavi + rear rack)

2. I, like most BRP owners, have done some drilling in the left side panel, will the Mojavi bag cover this holes?
xr6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #18257
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I could be wrong on this one, but I recall a few years back someone posted a problem with using the steel subframe. The extra rigidity of the subframe caused the mounting points in the Aluminum main frame to crack. Am I all wet here? I've been resisting the move to a steel sub-frame for this reason.
I hope I'm wrong.
You are correct.
In the case of an accident type load the extra stiffness can greatly increase the potential to break the casting on the right side of the frame more so as the stiffness of the sub frame increases.

And while repairing cast aluminum is Doable, It usually is always less structural than before. Possibly rendering your frame useless.

I don't crash often but when I do its usually hard, for that reason I stuck with the stock sub frame.

I would rather replace a sub frame than the main frame.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #18258
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Thanks guys!

I don't really understand the usefulness of the stock looking sub frame. Ok, it's steel. But, you can't tie in a pannier system to it. Now the sub frame with the rack over the rear fender. That at least looks like you could tie in a pannier systen to the sub frame.

Am I missing something...?

At one time he offered bolt on side racks that were nearly perfect for Wolfman luggage. That's what I have.

I used both the Wolfman and Coyote on my trip.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #18259
digga1111
bann ed

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You are correct.
In the case of an accident type load the extra stiffness can greatly increase the potential to break the casting on the right side of the frame more so as the stiffness of the sub frame increases.

And while repairing cast aluminum is Doable, It usually is always less structural than before. Possibly rendering your frame useless.

I don't crash often but when I do its usually hard, for that reason I stuck with the stock sub frame.

I would rather replace a sub frame than the main frame.
the steel bracing in the top legs of the sub frame is specifically placed to ensure any load put forward to the main frame is directly inline, greatly reducing the possibility of a frame breakage.
... the XR is the greatest off road motorcycle ever constructed. There's nothing it can't do, hasn't won or will not outperform.
digga1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #18260
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 View Post
Hi!

I have a "Moto Pro Billet" rear rack on my BRP.

I donīt really like carrying to much weight on the rack because of weight distribution issues + that fact that i have problems putting my leg over the beast at technical woods riding .

I like what I have read concerning the The Giant Loop Mojavi.

1. Will It work together with my rack? (havent seen picutres of Mojavi + rear rack)

2. I, like most BRP owners, have done some drilling in the left side panel, will the Mojavi bag cover this holes?
I had the same rack on my pig, Personally I didn't like it with the GL bags, GL did their homework, the bags work great on dirt-bikes. I have the Coyote and mojavi and Man- Racks rear fender/ subframe brace?( bags work fine without it though). Pm me your email and I'll shoot you some pic's if you want. ADVrider is not letting me post photos for some reason.

Jim

Dorothy Parker
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #18261
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
At one time he offered bolt on side racks that were nearly perfect for Wolfman luggage. That's what I have.

I used both the Wolfman and Coyote on my trip.
Pictures of combined set up, please...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #18262
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I could be wrong on this one, but I recall a few years back someone posted a problem with using the steel subframe. The extra rigidity of the subframe caused the mounting points in the Aluminum main frame to crack. Am I all wet here? I've been resisting the move to a steel sub-frame for this reason.
I hope I'm wrong.
That sounds possible. But, I'm no engineer. I'm never going to camp off the bike. So, it's hotel for me. That means the GL bags that I have will work.

I'm planning a BMW HPN build. That bike will have hard luggage on it.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #18263
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Pictures of combined set up, please...

Pictures in my "Go, Get Lost - Heading South" ride report on the sig. Weight and packing was revised (or lost) in Baja, but I think there are some pictures of the racks, etc.

Currently I just have the subframe mounted and the bolt on racks are off. If I end up selling my XRR, the whole set-up will be for sale. No idea if and when that would happen though. I'd part everything aftermarket on the bike and just sell XRR stock.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #18264
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
xr650r swingarm install help!!

HI, I have just finished greasing my rear shock linkage and swing arm bearings and when I reinstalled the swing arm, its as if the frame has expanded or the swing arm has shrunk!! The dust cap on the right side before I took it apart was tight to the frame,and after reinstall there is now a quarter inch gap between the dust cap and frame. This is with preload nut and pivot bolt torqued to spec. Any one have any thoughts as to why? Any help would be appreciated.

brayjay screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 10:00 PM
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #18265
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,031
Did you screw in the hollow bolt before torquing the nut that the swingarm bolt goes through?

Are all the dust caps in place?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #18266
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

yes I followed the procedure from the manual. Both dust caps are on swing arm, install swing arm,insert pivot bolt from left side to line it all up, then I screwed in the preload adjuster in until it touched the dust cap and torqued to 9ftlbs. Then torqued lock nut to 45ftbls. pilled out pivot bolt re inserted from right side an torqued to 80ftlbs. The thing that is strange is the preload adjustment nut has to thread through the frame until I can see it come through the frame and then it touches the dust cap so once everything is all tightened up instead of the dust cap up tight against the frame like it was before I took it apart, now there is about a quarter inch gap between cap and the frame. im pretty shure im not missing anything. Someone else on another forum had the exact same problem but out of 20 replies no one had an answer. Ill try and get some pictures up.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #18267
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,031
I can look at my 2 XRR's and see what the gap is. I don't think it changed much when I put in new bearings and seals this spring in one bike.

Maybe something was out of position before disassembly.

Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #18268
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,368
Busy installing a trailtech vapor on my XRR. Any idea where I can get live power from?
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #18269
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
I can look at my 2 XRR's and see what the gap is. I don't think it changed much when I put in new bearings and seals this spring in one bike.

Maybe something was out of position before disassembly.

That would be great. Any pics I found on the net showed both dust caps tight to the frame like mine was. I wonder if the frame relaxes after the first time the pivot bolt is removed.

brayjay screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 10:55 AM
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #18270
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post

That would be great. Any pics I found on the net showed both dust caps tight to the frame like mine was. I wonder if the frame relaxes after the first time the pivot bolt is removed.
I am going to put my swingarm back on in the next day or two. I will snap a picture if I notice any gap. If it does indeed flex, mine will too because its been sitting with the swingarm off for a week.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote