ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #18406
FlyingWman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
FlyingWman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Great lakes state
Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Boy View Post
Subscribed. Picking up a 2000 plated BRP tomorrow morning.
Share its goodies!
__________________
___________________
2000 XR650R
1982 GS750TZ
FlyingWman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #18407
Mikey Boy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mikey Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwman View Post
share its goodies!
10-4
__________________
Work to ride, and ride to work.
2014 Tiger 800xc - Meow
2000 XR650R - plated
Mikey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #18408
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: British Columbia
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnworker433 View Post
Send your engine to Chris Blais. Dakar podium finisher, excellent wrenching skills. They specialize in engine rebuilding...just google his business name above. If your thinking xrs only...might as well send it to Chris and Patty. Great people.
I talked to him so that's who ill use thanks.
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #18409
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!
 
El Caballo Loco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Oddometer: 450
Should have the cases split by this evening. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I see some porting in your future.
Agreed 110%.
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #18410
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Oddometer: 733
Choosing Between 2 R's

Curious about your opinions on this. Two bikes with in a few hundred miles of each other for sale. Deciding between the following.

Bike 1:

2000 model, unknown mileage, good but not super strong runner.
Apparently uncorked but only drilled exhaust, tip not replaced. Unknown jetting, air box mods, if any.

Titled and little if any modifications from stock.

Needs new anti bottoming bumper on rear shock, new chain, sprockets.

Not known if CS seal or clutch bushing upgraded.
Asking $2300

Bike 2
2007 Model, low hours/miles (under 1000mi)
Completely stock, run from time to time but nothing else. Super clean sans some dust.
$3500


Have money for either, which one?

tennessee thumper screwed with this post 10-29-2013 at 03:49 PM
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #18411
ReadySetGo
Adventurer
 
ReadySetGo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 95
Engine rebuild

Anyone know if Barnum is still in business? I've got one of his 680 motors that needs to be "freshened up". Still runs good but has several thousand miles on it I'd guess. I've put 2500 miles on it myself, not sure how many the P.O. racked up. Any contact info would be appreciated, or someone familiar with his motor builds. The motor is stage 3? (all the goodies) I think, but dead reliable so far. I'd like to rebuild it the same. I bought the bike from XR king a couple of years ago, and it's never failed.(except the sticking float on the Eddy sometimes) thanks for any info.
__________________
Wendy
____________________
2005 SV1000
1996 Honda Magna 750
2006 Honda XR650L
ReadySetGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #18412
slogger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Curious about your opinions on this. Two bikes with in a few hundred miles of each other for sale. Deciding between the following.

Bike 1:

2000 model, unknown mileage, good but not super strong runner.
Apparently uncorked but only drilled exhaust, tip not replaced. Unknown jetting, air box mods, if any.

Titled and little if any modifications from stock.

Needs new anti bottoming bumper on rear shock, new chain, sprockets.

Not known if CS seal or clutch bushing upgraded.
Asking $2300

Bike 2
2007 Model, low hours/miles (under 1000mi)
Completely stock, run from time to time but nothing else. Super clean sans some dust.
$3500


Have money for either, which one?
I'd buy #2. Low mileage motor, nice pretty plastic etc. And try and get it for closer to $3000.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #18413
slogger
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadySetGo View Post
Anyone know if Barnum is still in business? I've got one of his 680 motors that needs to be "freshened up". Still runs good but has several thousand miles on it I'd guess. I've put 2500 miles on it myself, not sure how many the P.O. racked up. Any contact info would be appreciated, or someone familiar with his motor builds. The motor is stage 3? (all the goodies) I think, but dead reliable so far. I'd like to rebuild it the same. I bought the bike from XR king a couple of years ago, and it's never failed.(except the sticking float on the Eddy sometimes) thanks for any info.
I spoke with Rob about six months ago. He had moved to Arizona.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #18414
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogger View Post
I'd buy #2. Low mileage motor, nice pretty plastic etc. And try and get it for closer to $3000.
I Agree with slogger. low mileage, less beaten on (7 years) and with it being all stock yet, you can pull out the corking parts and it will be like a brand new bike.
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Sold) LINK
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 NE
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #18415
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Had a tube fail at 70 mph, rapid deflation, tore my rim lock out and fucked my rim

First my rad and now this, not my weekend.
ouch! Rebuild it, it is fun!
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #18416
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Oddometer: 114
Xr650r frame from CA-2003

Don't know anything about CA registration. So, I don't know if 2003 can be streeted.
But fleabay has a CA XR frame up with no bids, 1 day left $100.
Item. 161136319540

Comes with misc parts as well.
__________________
Chicagoland Dual-Sport Riders
5hortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #18417
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadySetGo View Post
Anyone know if Barnum is still in business? I've got one of his 680 motors that needs to be "freshened up". Still runs good but has several thousand miles on it I'd guess. I've put 2500 miles on it myself, not sure how many the P.O. racked up. Any contact info would be appreciated, or someone familiar with his motor builds. The motor is stage 3? (all the goodies) I think, but dead reliable so far. I'd like to rebuild it the same. I bought the bike from XR king a couple of years ago, and it's never failed.(except the sticking float on the Eddy sometimes) thanks for any info.

Ask him how much he enlarged the valves too, hopefully there is room for another cutting.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #18418
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hortbus View Post
Don't know anything about CA registration. So, I don't know if 2003 can be streeted.
But fleabay has a CA XR frame up with no bids, 1 day left $100.
Item. 161136319540

Comes with misc parts as well.
It cant be unless it was previously registered for the street. Does it have a CA license plate?

I do know they changed the laws in CA making it pretty much impossible to register a dirt bike for the street.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #18419
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
I Agree with slogger. low mileage, less beaten on (7 years) and with it being all stock yet, you can pull out the corking parts and it will be like a brand new bike.
Agreed...I'm helping a buddy pull the trigger on his first R.

I bought an 07 with low hours as well. Love it.

Thanks for the comments...
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #18420
drdfblackm
VeeFeer
 
drdfblackm's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Safe haven from Zombies aka Flagstaff AZ
Oddometer: 843
I just bought one of his ex racers 2 weeks ago and we talk quite often. He is in Phoenix now and does not have his business going but I am sure he would be more than willing to help you out. PM me if you need some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadySetGo View Post
Anyone know if Barnum is still in business? I've got one of his 680 motors that needs to be "freshened up". Still runs good but has several thousand miles on it I'd guess. I've put 2500 miles on it myself, not sure how many the P.O. racked up. Any contact info would be appreciated, or someone familiar with his motor builds. The motor is stage 3? (all the goodies) I think, but dead reliable so far. I'd like to rebuild it the same. I bought the bike from XR king a couple of years ago, and it's never failed.(except the sticking float on the Eddy sometimes) thanks for any info.
__________________
These are not the droids you are looking for.....
drdfblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015