Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #18946
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243

Both my truck wipers broke this morning had to take the xr.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #18947
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Is that the police coming to take you away in the white van? I would assume so, because obviously you are nuts.

I did that once, rode to work in 20 degree weather. I was so cold and f'ed up by the time I got to work I was worthless the rest of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post

Both my truck wipers broke this morning had to take the xr.

crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #18948
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
When I stand up for extended periods I find I have to bend over too far. As a result, Im looking at adding some hi-rise bars to my XR such as ATV bars with a 4.5" rise and perhaps a handlebar riser.

How high can I go before the cables need replacing?
Whats the highest other people are running?

I think at 1.5" you will run out of cable, but that is basically just a guess.

I have mine bumped up a bit with risers and bigh bend bars. After some rerouting, I only needed longer throttle cables. The Motion Pro replacement cables are longer than stock and work.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #18949
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Is that the police coming to take you away in the white van? I would assume so, because obviously you are nuts.

I did that once, rode to work in 20 degree weather. I was so cold and f'ed up by the time I got to work I was worthless the rest of the day.
That's one of the vans at work. I work at Sherwin Williams

Old 12-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #18950
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I think at 1.5" you will run out of cable, but that is basically just a guess.

I have mine bumped up a bit with risers and bigh bend bars. After some rerouting, I only needed longer throttle cables. The Motion Pro replacement cables are longer than stock and work.
I had to reroute the compression release after mounting risers,it was shutting the engine off.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #18951
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad View Post
I had to reroute the compression release after mounting risers,it was shutting the engine off.

Me too, I was a bit puzzled at first when the bike kept dying when making sharp left turns.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #18952
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,523
I know this has been hashed before, but I am really considering a elec start if I could find one that works reliably. I have been getting injections in my knees for last 2 years and if I get to a flooded start like last night(guess float bowl hung?)My knee is worthless today and I am limping around like a paraplegic! Most of the time it has not been an issue2 or 3 kicks it runs. Last night 20 plus and and would not run I really don't want to send on to other pastures cause just not a whole lot out there I want to come back with
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #18953
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964 View Post
I know this has been hashed before, but I am really considering a elec start if I could find one that works reliably. I have been getting injections in my knees for last 2 years and if I get to a flooded start like last night(guess float bowl hung?)My knee is worthless today and I am limping around like a paraplegic! Most of the time it has not been an issue2 or 3 kicks it runs. Last night 20 plus and and would not run I really don't want to send on to other pastures cause just not a whole lot out there I want to come back with
Time to get a te610 or ktm 690 or 530

Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #18954
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
Time to get a te610 or ktm 690 or 530

The 690 I rode was very vibey and just was not me...not played with the Husky though...No place to get service for Husky around here.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #18955
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Quote:
i didn't know you could still get one of those. might just be worth getting a different bike for the cost differential
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #18956
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
i didn't know you could still get one of those. might just be worth getting a different bike for the cost differential
I found a BD kit last night for $900, but I heard they had a lot of issues. My first bike was a Honda XR75 and I have always liked the XR and owned about a dozen of them over the years. Would the switch to a pumper carb make much difference on start?
Old 12-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #18957
aaat doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:

know what you mean. i have absolutely no desire for anything else as a replacement to the xr, but once in a blue moon, the e-start would be nice. luckily i saw one on ebay last year and was the lucky bidder - almost new and all inclusive baja designs kit supposedly working great according to seller. it sits in a box on the garage shelf just in case i decide i really do need it...although i'm a lot old school and don't quite want to admit the e-start is necessary....but it probably is coming. seems like every time i look at it (electric start), the xr starts so easily the next few weeks that i decide i am just getting wimpy in my old age. so it sits on the shelf just for insurance.
aaat doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #18958
supernick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I four times broke knees but I don't give up.

This traditional winter rally in Russia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQflpqjdg6Y

supernick screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 10:11 AM
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #18959
aaat doc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
trouble with any e-start kit now would be getting replacement parts if anything failed....all discontinued according to what i can find. i think the BD kits were the best of the lot, but still had the typical internet reported failures. i was going to move the battery up to a small toolbox type structure on the front of the skid plate and use it (e-start) only as a backup when i absolutely could not kick it. the standard battery tray provided sat up under the gas tank and off to the left of the carb, so it made it more difficult to adjust the carb choke, idle, etc.

i had an edelbrock carb but was not impressed at all. my stock carb worked much better, even for starting. found a tm40 pumper fairly reasonable and it too sits on the shelf. just have no need to change the stock carb, the more i ride....i have finally (i think) got the routine down for about any type of starting with it as it sits.... but i don't have a bad knee either.....my wife does and i somewhat know what you are going through.
aaat doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #18960
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Four broken knees (most of us only have two), and you still have not got a snowmobile? Man, you guys must have antifreeze in your blood, or is it the vodka?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernick View Post
I four times broke knees but I don't give up.