Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #20536
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Thanks, I really appreciate your info. Is there a preferred XR650R head guru/machinist that can do a resleeve as well?

Don't resleeve, there is no sleeve oem. You want it replated. It is the better option.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #20537
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAxeYarYar View Post
I know this sounds silly, but did you remove the small drain bolt that is just under the front down tube? There are two drain bolts, the larger one on the engine and the small one on the frame down tube.

The oil should drain instantly....otherwise you may have a gopher or tribble living in there....

A long time depending on temperature and pump wear.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #20538
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrtrippin View Post
I do like the idea Freak. I have had one day where it was boiling hard enough to pressurize even without the check valve. I thought of rust too but that was why I was thinking of ceramic coating first. Gas burns like hell when applied in liberal doses to your crotch. Had lots of slow going Friday on Golden Spike trail in Moab.
That's one for your KTM
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #20539
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Advice

So I installed my head and instead of applying oil to the inside of the nuts as stated in the manual I used my finger and just smeared small amounts on the threads of the studs. Torqued down the head bolts to proper torque and all was fine. Then I noticed a little bit of oil squished out of the base gasket and head gasket after it was torqued. No doubt the oil ran down the studs and made its way there. Will this destroy the base and head gasket? Should I tear it down and use new gaskets?
brayjay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #20540
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
So I installed my head and instead of applying oil to the inside of the nuts as stated in the manual I used my finger and just smeared small amounts on the threads of the studs. Torqued down the head bolts to proper torque and all was fine. Then I noticed a little bit of oil squished out of the base gasket and head gasket after it was torqued. No doubt the oil ran down the studs and made its way there. Will this destroy the base and head gasket? Should I tear it down and use new gaskets?
Don't worry bout that, all good
zoro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #20541
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

I hope your right, The one side of the base gasket is wet. What a dumb thing to do!!
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #20542
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
I hope your right, The one side of the base gasket is wet. What a dumb thing to do!!
I often smear grease on paper gaskets and wipe them off good, they swell a little and next time it'll come off easier. Hasn't caused issues yet, I wouldn't worry about it.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #20543
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you both for your replies, stress now gone.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #20544
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

I would consider a re-torque of the bolts once you've heat cycled the engine a few times.
This requires backing off the nut and running back to torque again, not just putting the tension wrench on it and checking its still tight- bad practice.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #20545
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

I was wondering about re torqueing and will. Another question. I have not installed the camshaft, top cover, or right crankcase cover yet and it seems to have hardly any compression. I can turn it over with 2 fingers darn near. New piston and rings. Should it not make compression even with no cam or top cover on yet?
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #20546
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Was the head done up also? Re-valves and seats etc?
Is the spark plug in the hole?
Assuming all is good up top, just keep putting it all together.
Once run in, try and turn it by hand..
Old 04-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #20547
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
[QUOTE=brayjay;23936616]I was wondering about re torqueing and will. Another question. I have not installed the camshaft, top cover, or right crankcase cover yet and it seems to have hardly any compression. I can turn it over with 2 fingers darn near. New piston and rings. Should it not make compression even with no cam or top cover on yet

brayjay
Assuming the head is fitted with no spark plug and no cam it will be easy to turn over.
If the head is on and torqued down with spark plug installed you will not be able to turn it over with two fingers.
With cam and rockers in place you will need significantly more effort turning it over (even without the plug installed) as you will be compressing the valve springs.

Hope this helps.

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #20548
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks again, Yes the plug is in, new valves and seats and yes this is my first 4 stroke rebuild , Not hard to tell I know. I will assemble it all and im sure it will be fine.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #20549
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Just take your time and triple check your timing is correct and everything is at spec.
Plenty of lube for the initial start too.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #20550
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Ceramic exhaust coatings.A few years ago I did some experimenting with coatings on my 525 KTM with a infrared heat gauge.All were measured under fairly close conditions-run for a bit and then idling for 10 seconds or so.All were measured about an inch from the exhaust port.Stock bare header-980 degrees.Jet Hot brand ceramic coated stock header-460 degrees.Swain Tech ceramic coated stock header-390 degrees.As you can see it would make a huge difference in keeping the cylinder and gas tank cooler when the header pipe is next to those parts. On my 650 I have the Pro Circuit headers coated by Jet Hot and it feels like it is considerably cooler in that area of the bike even though I have not actually measured this setup.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote