Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #20911
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Oddometer: 454
Four Strokes Works header....any thoughts/reviews/opinions?
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #20912
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Four Strokes Works header....any thoughts/reviews/opinions?
Is that $150 per header or pair? I went with the XROs, and my only complaint is the ease at which I was able to deform the stainless flanges.

I would assume that either brand will increase top and lose low. I didn't notice a difference.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #20913
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

A guy replied to my WTB ad in the big flea market with one. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I can't find diddly about the dang things.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #20914
XRPOWER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Funn parts!

Here is my lighter flywheel an a kush sprocket,this is gona be a funn to try!http://Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
XRPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #20915
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Ahhhhh, good tobacco. I miss you Europe.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #20916
skolios
n00bee

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Anybody know if the heidenau k60 scout will mount up and fit in the 140/80-18 size?
I just fit one on mine last weekend. Excel rims on this one, fits nicely through the swingarm.

I'll take a pic in the weekend if you want one.
skolios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #20917
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Ya. That would be great. Thanks
Old 05-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #20918
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayjay View Post
There is no material removed from the cylinder so it's not a gouge. If i run my fingernail over the scratch thing i can feel a bump so i would say it is a deposit. Regarding the seperator ring , before i installed the rings i tried to make the seperator ring overlap on purpose just to see if it could happen and could not make it overlap. There is just not enough room for it to overlap. Both of the top rings were installed with the marks facing up , smaller ring with the R mark on top and the larger one with the RN mark on second ,both marks facing up. IN mark on piston facing the intake.
I believe you mentioned that it started smoking at the end of your ride but there was no loss of power.
Looking at that mark in the barrel I'd be curious to see what shape the expander ring is in for the oil control rails. Almost looks like the expander may have broken at the gap, allowing the ends to overlap which would keep the scrapers from doing their job.
If you can't feel a groove you might not even have to replate the bore, just replace the oil control rings and their expander.

Kai Ju screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 05:04 PM Reason: ESL
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #20919
Keyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
If you can't feel a groove you might not even have to replate the bore, just replace the oil control rings and their expander.
I agree with this. I rebuilt an xr100 and the cylinder jug looked like it went through hell and back but didn't have any indentations that you could feel, only replaced rings and most of top end (valves were bent somehow), started bike first kick after rebuild and haven't had any issues since.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #20920
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I believe you mentioned that it started smoking at the end of your ride but there was no loss of power.
Looking at that mark in the barrel I'd be curious to see what shape the expander ring is in for the oil control rails. Almost looks like the expander may have broken at the gap, allowing the ends to overlap which would keep the scrapers from doing their job.
Thanks. I looked real close at the expander ring and can't find anything wrong with it. Gaps are perfect. Does it matter which way the expander ring is installed as in facing up or down? I looked at the top two rings with magnification and the one with the RN markings has some wear at the gaps and on that ring there is a silver coating of some sort all the way around it on the side where it would contact the cylinder , and it is worn off at the gap area down to shiny metal. Gotta be the ring that caused the problem but why? I just took a closer look at the cylinder and the vertical mark runs all the way to the top of the cylinder so it's impossible for it to be caused from the bottom three rings. Has to be from the top two.

brayjay screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 07:49 PM
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:02 PM   #20921
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

This will make things easier to explain. The piston is in the cylinder facing the right way and that is the top of the cylinder. The mark goes right to the top. Where the mark is must be where one of the top rings migrated after it was ran because I had the top one facing the intake and the second one down from the top towards the exhaust but why would that matter? It has to be the ring marked RN. Improper ring end gap?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #20922
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I wonder if its piece of chrome that has dislodged from the top ring and smeared itself down the bore?
Have never seen that on any engine, ever...have now.
Definitely a problem with the top ring looking at the height.
Does anyone know if the rings are chromed?
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM   #20923
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Wiseco website states:
Quote:
Most 4-cycle Powersports pistons use three rings, and knowing which ring goes where is critical. Generally, most top compression rings are steel alloy, and will appear shiny and bright, and will sometimes have a coating or treatment to the face of the ring. These coating could be industrial chrome (dull silver), gas nitride (bright silver), titanium nitride (gold), or moly filled (dark grey). Most rings will also have a top side marking, which is to be facing upward when installed.
Most second rings are of a cast iron material, though some can be steel. These are typically dark in color, and the face of the ring will be tapered. The ring will also have a top side marking, which is to be facing upward when installed.
Most Wiseco oil ring assemblies are three piece type, containing two oil rail rings and a center oil separator. These assemblies are delicate in nature, and can be tricky to install correctly. See our other FAQ questions for information on how to best install this type of ring.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #20924
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks mitchn06. The article does say the rings can have a silver or greyish coating and the ring with the RN mark does and is half worn off at the gaps on both sides. I'm certain I installed them the on the piston in the right order and marks facing up. I checked when I pulled it apart the second time. That line , mark , or whatever we want to call it is for sure laid down on the cylinder and it's not material removed from the cylinder. Could it be a tight spot from the recent re plating ? I will phone millennium technologies today and see what they say.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM   #20925
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Be interested to hear what they have to say.
Wonder if its a bonding issue between the ring and the chrome plating on the circumference of the ring?
Either way, go and buy a lotto ticket today. This sort of shit just doesn't happen??
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote