User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #20911
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
What the hell is that?
I have never seen that before, has the plating been taken off or something?
Would think if its a ring end gap issue you would have more damage than that??
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #20912
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I managed to get my geek like magnifying glass in there and it looks like that scratch is deposited over top of the cross hatching. So meaning it must have come from the rings ? Yet I can see no damage to the rings themselves. I never used a whole lot of oil on the piston and rings when I installed them in the cylinder. Could that be it? Also could I have bent a ring during install? Broke it in too hard? Sure would like to know what happened before I install the new cylinder and rings again.
brayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #20913
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Is it a scratch or a deposit? Didn't align ring in the 120 degree offset maybe?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #20914
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Something doesn't seem right, I wouldn't expect that to be the source of any serious smoking, surely??
Are the rings tight in the piston grooves?
Is there any oil residue in the air box, like its burnt some that's come out of the crankcase breather or something stupid like that?
I just find it hard to believe that mark on the cylinder has created the issues you've explained, very strange??

Mitchn06 I think is on the right track, certainly looks like the two compression ring gaps were lined up instead of being offset.
You could try and place a ring in there and see how the mark lines up with the ring gap.

I normally assemble the top ring gap towards the inlet side and the second ring gap towards the exhaust side, 180* apart. Don't forget to also offset your oil rings also..
Use plenty of oil in this area for assembly and the cam shaft/ rockers.
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #20915
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post
Something doesn't seem right, I wouldn't expect that to be the source of any serious smoking, surely??
Are the rings tight in the piston grooves?
Is there any oil residue in the air box, like its burnt some that's come out of the crankcase breather or something stupid like that?
I just find it hard to believe that mark on the cylinder has created the issues you've explained, very strange??

Mitchn06 I think is on the right track, certainly looks like the two compression ring gaps were lined up instead of being offset.
You could try and place a ring in there and see how the mark lines up with the ring gap.

I normally assemble the top ring gap towards the inlet side and the second ring gap towards the exhaust side, 180* apart. Don't forget to also offset your oil rings also..
Use plenty of oil in this area for assembly and the cam shaft/ rockers.
Yes i installed the rings 180 degrees apart as per the manual. Also no oil in the air box. It had to be letting oil through that groove because the top of the piston had oil on it and also the valves. I did try lining up the rings but the gaps are no where near where the scratch is.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #20916
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

The top two rings go in easy but the bottom three in my case did not. Could i have bent one of the bottom rings when installing? That scratch is for sure a deposit from the rings and not a gouge. Yes the rings should be tight in the piston groves cause it's a brand new oem piston and rings. Zoro when you offset the oil rings do you also set them 180 apart ? I think the manual says 1.5 inches or something so that is how i did it.

brayjay screwed with this post 05-07-2014 at 09:18 AM
Old 05-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #20917
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Brayjay, I keep getting confused on your wording. Is it a scratch or a deposit? You said that it isn't a gouge, but is a scratch? To me those are the same. Were you able to wipe the line clean with brake clean or anything? I have a hard time thinking it was a bent ring. Was the oil scraper ring lined up right? Is it possible the separator ring (the wavy one) got overlapped on install? Or a compression ring got put on upside down? Or top and second ring got swapped? These are just ideas. Something to look at. I'm sure you studies the fsm like I did on re-assembly, but who knows.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #20918
brayjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Brayjay, I keep getting confused on your wording. Is it a scratch or a deposit? You said that it isn't a gouge, but is a scratch? To me those are the same. Were you able to wipe the line clean with brake clean or anything? I have a hard time thinking it was a bent ring. Was the oil scraper ring lined up right? Is it possible the separator ring (the wavy one) got overlapped on install? Or a compression ring got put on upside down? Or top and second ring got swapped? These are just ideas. Something to look at. I'm sure you studies the fsm like I did on re-assembly, but who knows.
There is no material removed from the cylinder so it's not a gouge. If i run my fingernail over the scratch thing i can feel a bump so i would say it is a deposit. Regarding the seperator ring , before i installed the rings i tried to make the seperator ring overlap on purpose just to see if it could happen and could not make it overlap. There is just not enough room for it to overlap. Both of the top rings were installed with the marks facing up , smaller ring with the R mark on top and the larger one with the RN mark on second ,both marks facing up. IN mark on piston facing the intake.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #20919
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by cragdweller View Post
I just meant that the XRR gear ratios are closer together than optimal for a do-it-all bike. It would be nice to have a lower first or a taller fifth, with the other ratios nicely spaced in between. If the TRX 1-4 are lower than the XRR 1-4, that would address the issue. Good luck, keep us posted if you learn anything.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I didn't know if there was some issue I was unaware of, other than the overall ratios.
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #20920
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Four Strokes Works header....any thoughts/reviews/opinions?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #20921
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
Four Strokes Works header....any thoughts/reviews/opinions?
Is that $150 per header or pair? I went with the XROs, and my only complaint is the ease at which I was able to deform the stainless flanges.

I would assume that either brand will increase top and lose low. I didn't notice a difference.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #20922
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

A guy replied to my WTB ad in the big flea market with one. I'm waiting to hear back from him.

I can't find diddly about the dang things.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #20923
XRPOWER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Funn parts!

Here is my lighter flywheel an a kush sprocket,this is gona be a funn to try!http://Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
XRPOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #20924
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Ahhhhh, good tobacco. I miss you Europe.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #20925
skolios
n00bee

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
Anybody know if the heidenau k60 scout will mount up and fit in the 140/80-18 size?
I just fit one on mine last weekend. Excel rims on this one, fits nicely through the swingarm.

I'll take a pic in the weekend if you want one.
skolios is offline   Reply With Quote