ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #21016
broettge
Adventurer
 
broettge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Burnsville, MN
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigjockey View Post
Well yesterday I eagerly took my 650r to the wi. dmv to get my plate only to be shot down within the first 3 digits of the vin number. The girl behind the counter freaked out at that time because the bike came back as a DIRT BIKE. She said 'sir I see this bike was registered in Wi. and Il. but we cant register it now because it's a dirt bike. pisses me right off. I told her it has everything to make it compliant for road use but she wouldn't have any of that and refused to look at it in person. So my solution is to buy a tablet and make out a bill of sale every day I ride on the street now. I have the old title still. I have since named the bike Grace, as this is what I will be asking for every time I get pulled over. I will own the grace period. After I wear out the g.p. I will have to take the bike to Mi. and plate it there so Wi. will miss out on my reg. fees and taxes. If any mates has a better idea please chime in. Thanks
Chuck


How close are you to MN? Since last year you can get a street plate for any motorcycle that has been register for ohv. You could get a 3 year trail sticker and plate for under $50. Tabs are about $15 a year. No title and no inspection.
broettge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #21017
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer
 
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Muk, WA
Oddometer: 2,587
I've run the MT43 and really like it, seems to last about 3 times as long as a knob and grips great. Here are some pics of my pig with the new LED headlight and semi-SM/street tracker wheel set up (19" at both ends).



__________________
"If you ain't slidin', you ain't ridin'"

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #21018
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
babuja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Your plate isn't bolted to the engine case is it? It should clamp to the frame, right?

So you could drill out the clamp with it completely removed from the bike, perhaps in a vice of some sort. Or am I missing something?

I found the trick is to not disturb the clamps once you unbolt it. Most of them will stay put and aligned for putting the plate back on. The bugger is always the front bolts for me.

Also, I thread each bolt on by hand and get them all started with a couple threads before I start tightening any of them.

I hope that helps. Another option is to buy a replacement clamp to replace the stripped one.
Yes, rear fixation is bolted to engine case and nuts are damage because of excessive tension.

So only option is to install time sert or not use those rear points to hold the skid plate.

Surprised this haven't occur often with you guys using this skidplate
Cheers guys and tnks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
Cheers guys
Babuja
________
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #21019
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCVL View Post
Went for a ride last week, 1050 miles in 4 days, about 600 pavement, mostly rideable. It was more of a relaxed trip, weren't chasing speed records there. The steppe has it's beauty.
A ride report if you like googletranslate
http://nduro.kz/blog/surrounding_trips/195.html
Photos can be opened in new tab, that way they'll be bigger





Can we see a few pictures of your rack I keep breaking mine and need to upgrade it. thanks B
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #21020
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty
 
BigNastybrp's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: high speed boogie land, Sunny Ca.
Oddometer: 648
Baja

I thought I would share my last adv ride with my XR bro's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971428
it ended with a bang for me then a lot of beer. B
__________________
XR650R Dual Sport 46k+miles just a few mods, XR600R 2500 miles,
KTM ADV990R 7500,
XR1200cc
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #21021
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MCVL's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Kazakhstan
Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
Can we see a few pictures of your rack I keep breaking mine and need to upgrade it. thanks B
Sure. But first of all it weights 4 kg (8.8 lbs)
You can just use something similar to giant loop coyote pants.
We used selfmade pants in that trip, it cost about 100$ and I remember someone used his real pants for that purpose but it wasn't that reliable. There is enough space for everything but fuel there.

About the rack, I found a cheap and solid rack a year ago on ebay for about 120$, I can't find those now, so that's how it looked
http://cs425825.vk.me/v425825542/1066/fFhRj85yGPM.jpg
http://cs403531.vk.me/v403531542/7954/UQf0OU3NdPI.jpg
http://cs403531.vk.me/v403531542/78fa/Cndv6ztdwGg.jpg
Not much space really
http://cs405527.vk.me/v405527542/71bd/PsmfCAOM8r0.jpg

But it was solid
So I asked a mate with rack welding experience to make it able to withstand some abuse.
His previous work on xt225:
http://cs310129.vk.me/v310129542/1e3a/AMdeshm5VU0.jpg

While thinking on how it will look like we came to a conclusion that it needs bottom support for jerrycans but if we would spare the left plastic of abusement the rack would be too fat and it would be more difficult to man handle the bike when it's loaded with a jerrycan and a lot of stuff on top, so I decided that offroad nobody gonna see the hell chariot anyway and in town less people will be interested in it. So we cut through the left plastic

We decided to use the iron pieces lying in his garrage that were left from the time when a hanger for clothes was more tough than some motorcycles subframes that's why it's so heavy

First test drive, 10l of water from the left and 10l of fuel from the right.
http://cs413727.vk.me/v413727542/496d/83Zar6ilBB8.jpg
200miles offroad and it's still holding up

left side:
http://cs302412.vk.me/v302412542/471b/pML6DCr3HRI.jpg

http://cs616719.vk.me/v616719542/989/tHxJuA3_904.jpg

right side:
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/5471/jroexHF37ms.jpg

http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/5485/9CbULDP0jWE.jpg

back
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/548f/fygJm2EF5i8.jpg
left bottom support is wider for wider jerrycans


http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/54b7/vT4jrFbVPIo.jpg
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/54c1/w2yMcgz17jg.jpg

http://cs614629.vk.me/v614629542/b102/hmqRAZ5oHJo.jpg
http://cs605531.vk.me/v605531542/8cd8/73kaf62_6N8.jpg
http://cs619623.vk.me/v619623542/6fe8/iogiLlK7dRI.jpg

I crash tested it on pavement and it's still holding up great

No cracks or anything after a year of riding, I sometimes worry about the subframe, but never about the rack





Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
I thought I would share my last adv ride with my XR bro's
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971428
it ended with a bang for me then a lot of beer. B
Nice trip!
__________________
XR650R, CRF450X

MCVL screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 11:56 PM
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #21022
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCVL View Post
Sure. But first of all it weights 4 kg (8.8 lbs)
You can just use something similar to giant loop coyote pants.
We used selfmade pants in that trip, it cost about 100$ and I remember someone used his real pants for that purpose but it wasn't that reliable. There is enough space for everything but fuel there.

About the rack, I found a cheap and solid rack a year ago on ebay for about 120$, I can't find those now, so that's how it looked
http://cs425825.vk.me/v425825542/1066/fFhRj85yGPM.jpg
http://cs403531.vk.me/v403531542/7954/UQf0OU3NdPI.jpg
http://cs403531.vk.me/v403531542/78fa/Cndv6ztdwGg.jpg
Not much space really
http://cs405527.vk.me/v405527542/71bd/PsmfCAOM8r0.jpg

But it was solid
So I asked a mate with rack welding experience to make it able to withstand some abuse.
His previous work on xt225:
http://cs310129.vk.me/v310129542/1e3a/AMdeshm5VU0.jpg

While thinking on how it will look like we came to a conclusion that it needs bottom support for jerrycans but if we would spare the left plastic of abusement the rack would be too fat and it would be more difficult to man handle the bike when it's loaded with a jerrycan and a lot of stuff on top, so I decided that offroad nobody gonna see the hell chariot anyway and in town less people will be interested in it. So we cut through the left plastic

We decided to use the iron pieces lying in his garrage that were left from the time when a hanger for clothes was more tough than some motorcycles subframes that's why it's so heavy

First test drive, 10l of water from the left and 10l of fuel from the right.
http://cs413727.vk.me/v413727542/496d/83Zar6ilBB8.jpg
200miles offroad and it's still holding up

left side:
http://cs302412.vk.me/v302412542/471b/pML6DCr3HRI.jpg

http://cs616719.vk.me/v616719542/989/tHxJuA3_904.jpg

right side:
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/5471/jroexHF37ms.jpg

http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/5485/9CbULDP0jWE.jpg

back
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/548f/fygJm2EF5i8.jpg
left bottom support is wider for wider jerrycans


http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/54b7/vT4jrFbVPIo.jpg
http://cs424529.vk.me/v424529542/54c1/w2yMcgz17jg.jpg

http://cs614629.vk.me/v614629542/b102/hmqRAZ5oHJo.jpg
http://cs605531.vk.me/v605531542/8cd8/73kaf62_6N8.jpg
http://cs619623.vk.me/v619623542/6fe8/iogiLlK7dRI.jpg

I crash tested it on pavement and it's still holding up great

No cracks or anything after a year of riding, I sometimes worry about the subframe, but never about the rack







Nice trip!
Wow, that scenery is incredible and so vast. I would love to ride an XRR there, thanks for sharing!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 AM   #21023
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Yes, rear fixation is bolted to engine case and nuts are damage because of excessive tension.

So only option is to install time sert or not use those rear points to hold the skid plate.

Surprised this haven't occur often with you guys using this skidplate
Cheers guys and tnks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HUmm, mine isn't bolted to the case, nor would I want it to be. Look at some of the other skid plates, they use clamps on the frame. It seems like you should be about to buy/make some clamps and then just drill a new hole in the skid.

My opinion is that if a skid plate bolts to the engine case it is not offering the best protection.

Those clamps could be easily made, even by me.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #21024
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
babuja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
HUmm, mine isn't bolted to the case, nor would I want it to be. Look at some of the other skid plates, they use clamps on the frame. It seems like you should be about to buy/make some clamps and then just drill a new hole in the skid.

My opinion is that if a skid plate bolts to the engine case it is not offering the best protection.

Those clamps could be easily made, even by me.


Mine just came with 2 clamps... But that's a good option, to and 2more clamps to solve the issue, tnks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
Cheers guys
Babuja
________
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #21025
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!
 
S-TrackJunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 516
^^Same thing I have, and it's up to the task! Mine is haggard, and still works great!! I wouldn't bolt shit into my engine for skid protection, but that's me.
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #21026
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
babuja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-TrackJunkie View Post
^^Same thing I have, and it's up to the task! Mine is haggard, and still works great!! I wouldn't bolt shit into my engine for skid protection, but that's me.
Get it (^_-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
__________________
Cheers guys
Babuja
________
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #21027
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Get it (^_-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Aren't you friends with Burpsa? I am pretty sure that guy could whip you up some clamps in no time, if you don't mind that they are anodized blue.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:11 AM   #21028
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer
 
babuja's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Luanda, Angola
Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Aren't you friends with Burpsa? I am pretty sure that guy could whip you up some clamps in no time, if you don't mind that they are anodized blue.
I'm Benfica fan, so blue anodized isn't a option
__________________
Cheers guys
Babuja
________
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #21029
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ride4fun562's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: CA
Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
HUmm, mine isn't bolted to the case, nor would I want it to be. Look at some of the other skid plates, they use clamps on the frame. It seems like you should be about to buy/make some clamps and then just drill a new hole in the skid.

My opinion is that if a skid plate bolts to the engine case it is not offering the best protection.

Those clamps could be easily made, even by me.
I have this one, kind of a bitch to get on and off, but I like it. The trick is to put duck tape on the front two clamps so they stay in place while installing the skidplate
__________________
2002 XR6fiddtyR
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #21030
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!
 
S-TrackJunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I have this one, kind of a bitch to get on and off, but I like it. The trick is to put duck tape on the front two clamps so they stay in place while installing the skidplate
Putting mine back on tonight, and using your technique, thanks!! Because it is a PITA!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014