Old 12-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #2176
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
as well as the GL set-ups...

Man, those backpacks look heavy.

Hey, the link in your sig to the mini-loop ride is broken.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:52 PM   #2177
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Man, those backpacks look heavy.

Hey, the link in your sig to the mini-loop ride is broken.
Header: you need handguards to support the elephant ears. Might work with just a bar okay.

Rob: yeah, they were rookie multi-day live-off-the-bike riders and brought waaaay too much. 9 day trip to NV though...

I'll fix that link.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #2178
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Never joust with a tree!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #2179
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
They'll work with any handguard set-up. I have Enduro Engineering, but they'll work just the same with anything else. There's only one strap that holds them on and they generally go around my handlebar somewhere. I seem to put them on just a little bit differently everytime I do it.

Note elephant ears on the piggy here, as well as the GL set-ups...

brad21: Quick question, what tires are those, and how are they on the street?

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #2180
Mickoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
taillight set up?

Quote:
They'll work with any handguard set-up. I have Enduro Engineering, but they'll work just the same with anything else. There's only one strap that holds them on and they generally go around my handlebar somewhere. I seem to put them on just a little bit differently everytime I do it.

Gday Brad21, Your rear light setup looks great. Is your Tailight, blinkers and plate holder all one piece? What brand is it?

Cheers Mike
Mickoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #2181
Rebelspawn
Wanna Touch It?

Oddometer: 279
BADASS!!!

Rebelspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #2182
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Uhhhh, that's not me in the picture by the Pub. This was the guys leaving Bend for Eureka, NV... RR: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480689

I was supposed to go on this trip, but work/budget got in the way. I actually bumped into them west of Wagontire on the way back from another shorter ride. See my sig, Mini-GiantLoop09.

BTW that piggie died in Fandango canyon when it broke its timing chain. Weird, but it did the Baja 1K a few years ago.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM   #2183
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:

Note: all these guy wearing backpacks full of STUFF are hard core, and i'm lazzzzzy... all i've been saying is that everytime i see a pic like this, i want to ride w/ these folks, and hold my gear LOWER than on my back... maybe closer to my swingarm.... Any people sKooled in PHysics wanna chime in? I'd love to improve my system!

Dirt-bagz can crush your wimpy sub frame unless you reinforce it depending on yer bike! (i don't work for DB, i'm just hoping for a GL sponsorship!)

Let the best set up win!!!

Name:  PICT0006.JPG
Views: 781
Size:  114.9 KB

measure the distance between swing arm & lowest part of saddle bag. done & done.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)

GISkev screwed with this post 12-05-2009 at 10:59 PM
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #2184
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelspawn
BADASS!!!

I know! hahaha I saw that too. I condensed mine to a smaller loop but still. Badass!

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #2185
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Note: all these guy wearing backpacks full of STUFF are hard core, and i'm lazzzzzy... all i've been saying is that everytime i see a pic like this, i want to ride w/ these folks, and hold my gear LOWER than on my back... maybe closer to my swingarm.... Any people sKooled in PHysics wanna chime in? I'd love to improve my system!

Dirt-bagz can crush your wimpy sub frame unless you reinforce it depending on yer bike! (i don't work for DB, i'm just hoping for a GL sponsorship!)

Let the best set up win!!!

Attachment 221446

measure the distance between swing arm & lowest part of saddle bag. done & done.
Kev, if you get the heavy stuff mostly below seat level I don't think it really matters if you measure the inches to the swingarm. Bottom line is more hardware = more failure potential. Panniers can get ripped off your bike by hidden rocks and agressive bushes, and will, in many cases, be damaged by a big get-off. The GL system has taken ALL of this into account and was also designed to be a universal fit for just about any bike out there. Get a new bike? Chances are the GL will work just fine.

As most of you know the XRR has a poor sub-frame for mounting extra stuff on anyway. I personally have a Dirt Bagz subframe extender/fender support. Suffice it to say it was poorly designed. I've broken it once and sheared off two bolts in the subframe twice which I've had to EZ out. Gotta do it again now after my Baja trip last month. Note the mounting points in the pic:

I'm not bashing DB. Lots of people use them and have great success. But the GL system was designed to eliminate variables and allow you to ride your dirt bike like a dirt bike without the worry of stuff breaking, ripping or failing in other ways.

Here's a recent article you might enjoy: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/001...pdf?1257882558

Cool pic of the designer/co-owner of GL (Wachs), he walks the walk:

brad21 screwed with this post 12-06-2009 at 07:30 AM
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #2186
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,670
nice!

Quote:
Kev, if you get the heavy stuff mostly below seat level I don't think it really matters if you measure the inches to the swingarm. Bottom line is more hardware = more failure potential. Panniers can get ripped off your bike by hidden rocks and agressive bushes, and will, in many cases, be damaged by a big get-off. The GL system has taken ALL of this into account and was also designed to be a universal fit for just about any bike out there. Get a new bike? Chances are the GL will work just fine.

As most of you know the XRR has a poor sub-frame for mounting extra stuff on anyway. I personally have a Dirt Bagz subframe extender/fender support. Suffice it to say it was poorly designed. I've broken it once and sheared off two bolts in the subframe twice which I've had to EZ out. Gotta do it again now after my Baja trip last month. Note the mounting points in the pic:

I'm not bashing DB. Lots of people use them and have great success. But the GL system was designed to eliminate variables and allow you to ride your dirt bike like a dirt bike without the worry of stuff breaking, ripping or failing in other ways.

Here's a recent article you might enjoy: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/001...pdf?1257882558

these 2 pics look great, with the loop swung low allowing the weight to be low. I'm convinced. i tapped those subframe mount bolts to be bigger than stock since i'm running the promoto billet rack and snapped one as well.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #2187
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
I need a business I can promote like that

brad, have you tried the small tankbag GL sells on the XRR? Looks nice & compact. I'd like to add something like that to my setup, it's the right size for what I need.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2188
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
I need a business I can promote like that

brad, have you tried the small tankbag GL sells on the XRR? Looks nice & compact. I'd like to add something like that to my setup, it's the right size for what I need.
I have NOT tried the Fandango tank bag, but I think everyone is happy with it. It won't work on my bike with the big Acerbis tank. The good news is is there is one specifically made for bikes with high filler necks in the works, my bike was originally used for the design concept... stay tuned.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #2189
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
... stay tuned.
will do
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #2190
larryboy