Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #211
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0911
available at any upholstery foam provider ... like sunshine foam.
Sounds promising, but...what is it?

edit: I guess you mean a thin layer of open cell foam.
RdrMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #212
DOSCERVASAS
neck

Oddometer: 220
Suspension Revalving

Hey King,

Post up the pic's and advise on the revalving. I got my new springs in and do not want to pay someone $500 for a revalve.

Thanks again for the carb advise.

"Another Day, Another poor soul left in my Dust"

DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800
DOSCERVASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #213
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0911
I want to ride in WNC/E.TN

Really? Well get on down here.

You gonna make it to the Rendesvous in May?

Question for you and anyone else here. When do I clean/replace the screen

in the downtube and the screen behind the right crankcase cover?

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #214
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Hello all, been on here a while riding KTM's mostly, now I added a new 2007 XR650R to my list of bikes. This bike was at the dealership, sold new to a guy...ran 1 tank of gas through it and traded it in for a smaller bike...It's a virgin machine with no mods. Here is my list of mods to start...

1) Airbox
2) stock exhaust mod
3) re-jet
4) Joe Racer starter kit
5) 13 tooth front sprocket

This is going to be a trail bike for me. I want it to be fun to ride and dependable. Any other advice for future mods??? Trails will be in Iowa and Arizona.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #215
FOCKER
Northwest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265
Hello all, been on here a while riding KTM's mostly, now I added a new 2007 XR650R to my list of bikes. This bike was at the dealership, sold new to a guy...ran 1 tank of gas through it and traded it in for a smaller bike...It's a virgin machine with no mods. Here is my list of mods to start...

1) Airbox
2) stock exhaust mod
3) re-jet
4) Joe Racer starter kit
5) 13 tooth front sprocket

This is going to be a trail bike for me. I want it to be fun to ride and dependable. Any other advice for future mods??? Trails will be in Iowa and Arizona.
Sweetness...How much did the dealership let it go for this time of year?
FOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #216
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango

I only clean mine out once a season or so. I've never had much in mine but others have reported piles of shavings.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 AM   #217
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSCERVASAS
Hey King,

Post up the pic's and advise on the revalving. I got my new springs in and do not want to pay someone $500 for a revalve.

Thanks again for the carb advise.
Dos, I can fill you in on any details I ran into…being my first time I had them apart and together a few times (Front and rear) so hopefully we can eliminate the extra times for you. But don’t be in a hurry.

About the pics… ;-) I started real well documenting the disassembly then using a friends warm garage schedules got shifted and I had to be in a hurry (one of the reasons I had to disassemble again later) so I neglected to continue with the pics.

Your knowledgeable about the bike so I know it won’t be a huge project.

I assume you will be doing front AND rear? (Since you are swapping springs?)

I used Borynack’s Website and after numerous emails to him and confusions he straightened me out and cleared up a few things from his sight.

I got my shims from; http://mx-tech.com/?id=contact The AZ office ‘Palo Verde’ had everything in stock and sent it right out by UPS ground, the shipping is the same no matter how many you buy since they are so if you aren’t 100% sure which setup you use…get the most shims @~$1 each you may need.

I replaced my seals and dust seals from Rockymountainatvmc.com front and rear. I didn’t replace my bushings but they weren’t needed.

The How-to sections on making the tools was easy…just take a metric ruler with you to the hardware store and find a pipe fitting that was 27mm (Pipe fittings with same labeled dimensions varied) then I already had a 14mm allen socket which I got years ago at autozone (used for brake caliper removal and some oil drain plugs).

The only standard tools I didn’t have was a torque wrench that would do 25-30 INCH/lbs

You could get away with 3qt of oil but I had 4qt and it was good since I had to refill the shock twice and still have a partial left over.

I had to get a local shop to order my oil since they didn’t keep that light of oil in stock and that took time (so make sure you have it all because shipping in the middle of a project can add about a week to the down time).

Line up a place to refill your shock as well before because my local tire shops that can do Nitrogen couldn’t do the pressures required (180-200psi) and only one motorcycle shop in town could do it and their bottle was getting low (if they were out more down time to wait for a refill to be delivered)

Shoot me a PM or let me know any questions…

XRRK
Old 01-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #218
JustinT OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMango
Really? Well get on down here.

You gonna make it to the Rendesvous in May?

I clean my down tube with every oil change (make sure you reassemble the banjo bolt washers in the same orientation because they seal and if flipped or swapped they have been known to leak (your actually supposed to use new ones if dissassembled but if you don't swap things around you should be fine and don't crush them...there is an O-ring on the screen so it doesn't have to have alot of torque to seal (I've never had trouble with leaking and I just lightly seat them)

But the crankcase screen I'd clean only during a rebuild, I understand the crankcase screen to be a last saving effort if a catastrophe happens so less is damaged? (if you ever have the case split obviously check it...but I wouldn't worry for routine maintenance.

My opinion

XRRK
Old 01-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #219
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCKER
Sweetness...How much did the dealership let it go for this time of year?
$4,500...plus tax and reg... Considering most 09 450s are over $7,000 I think I got a pretty good deal. I can put that e-start on it and have a great trail bike and still be money ahead.
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #220
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

oil screen

I have never cleaned the downtube screen. My bike has at least 9000 miles on it, maybe up to 11K depending on how much it was ridden before me.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #221
JustinT OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdrMtn
I have never cleaned the downtube screen. My bike has at least 9000 miles on it, maybe up to 11K depending on how much it was ridden before me.
Then it sounds like it is due.

This is the service manual's routine maintenance, (the next page is the competition maintenance).
All I can say its recommended for every other oil change (change oil AND filter q 600 miles or 6 months which ever comes sooner!

(the same time you check your fuel strainer screen)
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #222
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
Thanks everyone for the screen info. Unfortunately I had just changed the oil

when I thought to ask this question . I'll be changing again in a couple weeks.

I think I'll make the down tube screen a part of every oil change.

Easy insurance.

Thanks again.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #223
RdrMtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdrMtn
Cleaned the downtube screen today for the first time. There were about 10 shavings around the base and a tiny bit of..........fuzz? I think the fuzz are rag fibers from wiping out my funnel. It's a really easy job. I'll probably check mine every other year or whenever the skid plate is off and the oil needs changing.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #224
DOSCERVASAS
neck

Damb!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265
$4,500...plus tax and reg... Considering most 09 450s are over $7,000 I think I got a pretty good deal. I can put that e-start on it and have a great trail bike and still be money ahead.
How can you sleep at night.

You got one hell of a deal, I paid $5900 for my 07 XRR, and that was in Feb. 08.

Just food for thought, when I bought my XRR from the dealer, I got them to put the light kit on, DOT tires, and get them to tag it, you can drive a tagged XRR home. Not all the pain in the ass shit that you have to put up with tring to tag it your self.

DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800
Old 01-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #225
DOSCERVASAS
neck

Talking Suspension

XR650KING,

Thanks bud, I know engines, but I have only ever changed springs, never valves. +1 on the refilling rear shock, I would never have thought about that.

You may get tired of the PM's though.

DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800