Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #2326
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
I have hydraulic brake switches on both front and rear levers, they work great. I did not install them though, they were on the bike when I bought it. They're not very expensive though. Here is one for about $20, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper than that.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #2327
hoss314
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I thought I would share with you guys a Ride writeup http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6064&hl==

and some more pics of the Epic ride. http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...012%2013%2009/

This sharing is to help warm you frozen people way east of me. I hear your pain of going out to the garage to look at your bike and it is too cold to ride...or, you tough it out and bundle up to go out and ride to be restricted for the kind of riding you really want to do.

Please enjoy and refrain from jealousy (it gets you nowhere)
hoss314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #2328
chevsuz12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss314
I thought I would share with you guys a Ride writeup http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6064&hl==

and some more pics of the Epic ride. http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...012%2013%2009/

This sharing is to help warm you frozen people way east of me. I hear your pain of going out to the garage to look at your bike and it is too cold to ride...or, you tough it out and bundle up to go out and ride to be restricted for the kind of riding you really want to do.

Please enjoy and refrain from jealousy (it gets you nowhere)

Its not nice to pick on those that are covered in snow!

XR650R: The biggest, baddest dirt bike on the planet
chevsuz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #2329
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Finally found some trails around here.

Three things I learned:
1. I need mirrors that are smaller and can fold in.
2. I didn't drop it but if I do those turn signals are gone. I'll need some smaller LED ones.
3. I need knobbies! Thinking D606... but I'd like to get good mileage. Maybe TKC80? I've heard since they're made for bigger heavier bikes they get great mileage on smaller bikes.

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #2330
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevsuz12

Its not nice to pick on those that are covered in snow!
Word!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #2331
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
hey Dave37- i read your post regarding mirrors that fold in- i know where you're coming from, i've had several types of mirrors on my XR dualsports over the years but yet to find that perfect set

i'm thinking to pull the trigger on the Highway Dirtbikers handguards/mirrors that fold out of site and supposedly have very good visibility on the road- has anyone tried these out??? i'd love to hear back from anyone that has any issues/experience w/these- good or bad
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #2332
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 297
mirrors

Speaking of, I have looked at Hightway Dirtbikers too, but I already have Cycra bars with guards and the MSR cheapy fold down mirrors. I have been toying with the idea of using the stick-on 2" convex mirrors (like what one would use on truck mirrors) onto my cheapy mirrors. Anyone tried this? Thoughts?
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #2333
brp2004
Orygun

Oddometer: 200
If you are riding style includes more than a mile of pavement here or there I would suggest the KTM folding mirrors. All the dinky little mirrors are just dinky little mirrors.
brp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #2334
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 297
Brake lights

I have the hydraulic switch on the rear brake only. Mine work great! I was wondering if Chevsuv12 needs to bleed his brake line, might have a little air in it.

Also, I intentionally did not put one in the front brake. As this is the primary brake that one has to use if one is in a hurry........you know....for some reason or another........and not wanting to light up the world..........you know...........just in case........

Personally, I don't like getting stopped. I have my plate out where everyone can see it and attempted to make everything appear as legal as possible. Some cops just hate bikes so I try "not" to attract attention. It can waste a good day and put me in a bad mood. Unually when I get followed into a parking lot by a cop, they just want to talk bikes! That's always a nice day!
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #2335
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37
1. I need mirrors that are smaller and can fold in.

Those look like the same mirrors I have and they do fold in if you have them installed right. I had to adjust mine until the worked right, you spin the mirror around until the glass faces forward then you fold it down and into the notch.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #2336
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
The weekend also gave me a chance to test the rox risers. I had them moved forward but mainly just tall and I also had the sweep all messed up for saturdays ride but changed them for sunday. I moved them farther forward, thus sacraficing some height (not much) and rotated the bars back to help with the sweep.
Thanks Chris, that's just what I needed, I've been planning on the same setup. Do you have stock cables? You already gain about 3/4 to 1 inch from the bar clamps in height. Did they feel pretty solid in the forward position? Those are the 2" Rox risers, right?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #2337
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

I have some Acerbis mirrors, they fold down flat and are great for looking at my arm.

I got some XR650L anti-vibration mirrors for $30 on Ebay. Will get bar mounts, a square foot of felt, and a wrench. Great road mirrors, and when I hit the dirt, they get stowed away, takes 15 seconds.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #2338
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251
Thanks Chris, that's just what I needed, I've been planning on the same setup. Do you have stock cables? You already gain about 3/4 to 1 inch from the bar clamps in height. Did they feel pretty solid in the forward position? Those are the 2" Rox risers, right?

Thanks!
Yes I have the stock cables but I had to re-route everything but there was plenty to play with. I havent wrecked hard enough to really see how solid they are but when I was adjusting them you had to loosen the bolts all the way and they were still quite rough to move so I imagine they wont move during a getoff.

I was thinking about the lower riser but finally decided on the 2". Im glad I did, you can move the bars really far forward and still have a good amount of rise.

The way I have them set up when I stand I can have my arms unlocked and almost stand strait up which is right where I wanted them.
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #2339
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header
Yes I have the stock cables but I had to re-route everything but there was plenty to play with. I havent wrecked hard enough to really see how solid they are but when I was adjusting them you had to loosen the bolts all the way and they were still quite rough to move so I imagine they wont move during a getoff.

I was thinking about the lower riser but finally decided on the 2". Im glad I did, you can move the bars really far forward and still have a good amount of rise.

The way I have them set up when I stand I can have my arms unlocked and almost stand strait up which is right where I wanted them.
Well, that pretty much seals it. I have the same 1 1/8" adapter for the Pro Tapers like you. I was thinking about the 3.5" Rox risers, but maybe the 2" is enough with the adapters. I am a very long armed 6' (I have 34+ inseams).

Now to save my pennies.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #2340
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251
Well, that pretty much seals it. I have the same 1 1/8" adapter for the Pro Tapers like you. I was thinking about the 3.5" Rox risers, but maybe the 2" is enough with the adapters. I am a very long armed 6' (I have 34+ inseams).

Now to save my pennies.
I have the same measurements (no boots) so you should be ok. I think the 3.5" might be a little much depending on what bars you have, but you could move them really far forward.

All depends on your riding style as well. If I was on gravel roads all the time instead of off road I would be just fine with low bars that are way back. Of course then I wouldnt be able to stand for along time to let my butt gain some feeling
header is offline   Reply With Quote