User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #2386
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
What rotor did you swap in?

280mm EBC front rotor, came with bracket for the caliper.
Good feel & lots of power (for off road)
The original worked OK but I was experiencing forearm pump on long down hill runs in very steep terrain.
Very happy with the results.
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #2387
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Anybody seen this exhaust? It's the honda works bike pipe. Must be loud as all hell.

There's one on e-b-a-y right now.

kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #2388
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
I have the same pipe and it's not to bad if you run the sparky srceen in it.
But yes it's loud but not as bad as a Harley.

You could put a smaller end cap on it to reduce the dec.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 12-19-2009 at 05:05 PM
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #2389
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,706
Preventative maintenance completed yesterday.........top end rebuild with new rings/gaskets........got an extra base gasket if anybody needs one....

No real issues discovered during the rebuild although it's very nice to know that I've resolved my confidence issues. I had taken the piggy for a swim in a creek which put water into the top end. The rebuild demonstrated that the cylinder, piston and rings were well within spec.........but now I know the bike is even a bit better.

It was in the upper 30's here today and I ran the bike for a 30 minute ride to begin the break-in process....

And just to throw some iron in the fire....... ........how do you break in your piggy?

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #2390
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel
Preventative maintenance completed yesterday.........top end rebuild with new rings/gaskets........got an extra base gasket if anybody needs one....

No real issues discovered during the rebuild although it's very nice to know that I've resolved my confidence issues. I had taken the piggy for a swim in a creek which put water into the top end. The rebuild demonstrated that the cylinder, piston and rings were well within spec.........but now I know the bike is even a bit better.

It was in the upper 30's here today and I ran the bike for a 30 minute ride to begin the break-in process....

And just to throw some iron in the fire....... ........how do you break in your piggy?

RE: water in the cylinder...

Thursday night my bike was in the back of my truck overnight, and it rained. A lot of rain! Apparently, the exhaust and cylinder filled with water. I would imagine about 2-3 quarts of water were drained from the exhaust.

To remove the water from the exhaust, I laid the piggy on the right side and picked up the front end. Then, I removed the spark plug and kicked it over quite a few times to remove more water from the cylinder. After some persuasion (carb cleaner, kicking, and a little fire in the airbox ) she started up. I let it warm up some, changed the oil. Then rode it and let it get hot, and changed the oil and filter. Today, I rode about 200 miles, and will change the oil again tomorrow.

So, moral of the story is: My pig needs a butt plug, or being more practical, needs a turn down exhaust tip. I like this option more due to the possibility of reduced noise. Anyone know of a turn down tip for a stock exhaust?
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #2391
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:

A little late since you rode it for 30 minutes...I flog the hell out of a new engine, hard up thru the gears, drag the rear when slowing down..just like normal riding. Vary the revs and don't baby it.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #2392
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
So, moral of the story is: My pig needs a butt plug, or being more practical, needs a turn down exhaust tip. I like this option more due to the possibility of reduced noise. Anyone know of a turn down tip for a stock exhaust?
$50, probably any custom muffler shop could do it. Just take them your end cap and tell 'em what you need.

FWIW, it blows below 99dB still (I think 96 at last check, 90 another time) and is only slightly louder than stock with the cork + s/a in it.

An oh yeah, I painted it dog dick red... kinda faded now!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #2393
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
$50, probably any custom muffler shop could do it. Just take them your end cap and tell 'em what you need.

FWIW, it blows below 99dB still (I think 96 at last check, 90 another time) and is only slightly louder than stock with the cork + s/a in it.

An oh yeah, I painted it dog dick red... kinda faded now!

I like it! I'll see if I can find someone in town to do this for me.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #2394
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008
280mm EBC front rotor, came with bracket for the caliper.
Good feel & lots of power (for off road)
The original worked OK but I was experiencing forearm pump on long down hill runs in very steep terrain.
Very happy with the results.
Thanks, that sounds like something I want.

Sorry to answer an answer with a question but what is "arm pump"? I've seen the expression a few times. Tired clutching/braking muscles?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #2395
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251

Sorry to answer an answer with a question but what is "arm pump"?
Any muscle can get a pump, it occurs when you are using a muscle extensivly. The incoming blood cant be expelled as fast as its comming in and your muscles swell up. It reduces your ability to flex the muscle and movement is also decreased.
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 AM   #2396
the_hulkamaniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
Anybody seen this exhaust? It's the honda works bike pipe. Must be loud as all hell.

There's one on e-b-a-y right now.

Cool looking pipe yes but for $550.00 you will not get a major hp increase, a small amount on the top at most. It's a pipe tuned for holding wot for a very long time. it's not a power maker, in comparison to any other full pipe. It is a beauty though.
the_hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #2397
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hulkamaniac
It's a pipe tuned for holding wot for a very long time. it's not a power maker, in comparison to any other full pipe. It is a beauty though.
That is a nice pipe hulk, saw it on e-bay and though about it for 1/2 a second. just looking at it I'll bet it's probably pretty loud. In my expierence most aftermarket pipes improve mid-to high RPM with a low RPM sacrifice The stock pipe doesn't flow very well at high RPMs but works as well or better than most in the lower 1/3 RPM. That's one of the reasons I've held off on a pipe, if I have to take a low RPM hit and put up with something thats real loud I'm ok with just the HRC tip. I'll probably end up with a slip on but I've been considering building a slipon copied after the KTM hockey stick style silencers.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #2398
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
A little late since you rode it for 30 minutes...I flog the hell out of a new engine, hard up thru the gears, drag the rear when slowing down..just like normal riding. Vary the revs and don't baby it.

I admit to chumming for some controversy......I followed the procedure here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Even after the first ride, the beast was beastlier than I remember........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #2399
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Ridefreak, I run a Leo Vince slip on on my bike, its got a nice tone to it and with the quiet tip in it, I still have the low end grunt with a good bit of power on the top. Now I just wonder how much powershift would be had with the head pipe replaced too.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #2400
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:

I admit to chumming for some controversy......I followed the procedure here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Even after the first ride, the beast was beastlier than I remember........
I figured you were.

Nice work breaking it in right!!