Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #2746
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
larry boy the 165 was fine for me at sea level. after uncorking did you remover the block off plate to the left of the in take duct #13 and #14 if you do it will run the 172 or 175 main http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?...001&model=4337
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #2747
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 710
Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by windorman
Hey Guys, I recently got a BRP; 2002 w/ low miles. I have put on some laced Supermoto rims, IMS tank, Baja Sol-tech light and a Dual Sport America kit. My D/S kit is a LED kit and I am running it w/ a battery; in air box, and a Ricky Stator 200watt stator and H/D regulator. I really like the look of the Baja light; however I am having a difficult time making it work. I removed the original light socket and installed a standart H-4 automotive socket and a 65/100 bulb. I installed the D/S kit and eveything; except the headlight, works fine. Voltage at the battery is 13.5-14.5 while bike is running. I tapped the D/S harness into the hot (blue)wire of the OEM harness. My D/S harness has 3 hot leads up front for the headlight. One hot all the time while bike running,
one hot while low beam switch is on, and one hot while hi beam switch is on. Hooking these three up the light does not work. The light did work; although very dim, when I hooked up the two switch hots up and grounded the light. However when I did it this way the hi beam indicator light would not go out. Any insight would be great.

What you don't have is a ground. The full time hot goes to the running lights, small light in the front and taillight, and the turn sigs and horn. The high and low beam light go to the H-4 socket and that leaves one for the ground. I think the ground is the odd prong in the middle of the socket. I was adding accessory output to my BajaDesigns Kit yesterday and found that the frame is not part of the ground system. Surprised me but still works fine if you ground back to the battery.

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #2748
windorman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood
What you don't have is a ground. The full time hot goes to the running lights, small light in the front and taillight, and the turn sigs and horn. The high and low beam light go to the H-4 socket and that leaves one for the ground. I think the ground is the odd prong in the middle of the socket. I was adding accessory output to my BajaDesigns Kit yesterday and found that the frame is not part of the ground system. Surprised me but still works fine if you ground back to the battery.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I will run a temp. ground lead from the middle prong to the battery and try that. That is the way I had it originally installed, but I grounded to the OEM harness which does not ground to the D/S harness.
I did think it was a grounding issue, because when I would use the horn the light would become much brighter.

Paul
windorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 AM   #2749
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp
larry boy the 165 was fine for me at sea level. after uncorking did you remover the block off plate to the left of the in take duct #13 and #14 if you do it will run the 172 or 175 main http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?...001&model=4337
I'm trying for a compromise, it won't kick start at 10,000 feet and runs like crap up there with a 165. I rarely ride down here and a tick lean at sea level would be okay. I'm starting to think that a couple of mains in the tool bag might be the trick since it's so easy to swap them out on this bike. I need to double check the "uncorking" on this bike as the previous owner did the work.

Here's to hoping the 162 will do what I want.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #2750
Crit Rat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I'm trying for a compromise, it won't kick start at 10,000 feet and runs like crap up there with a 165. I rarely ride down here and a tick lean at sea level would be okay. I'm starting to think that a couple of mains in the tool bag might be the trick since it's so easy to swap them out on this bike. I need to double check the "uncorking" on this bike as the previous owner did the work.

If your issue is with starting the bike at altitude then you should be playing around with your pilot jet vs. the main jet. Main jet has nothing to do with starting performance.

For reference when I was running the stock carb here in CO at 5-12,000 feet I had a 65s pilot and 165 main. It was a little boggy and rich above 11k on the main jet but it always started well with the 65s pilot. If you are uncorked fully I think you would be pretty lean on a 160 or 162 main when down lower than 5k.

Other option would be to get a different carb, one of the strengths of the Edelbrock pumper is that it self adjusts very well for altitude and you can always make a few clicks of adjustment to the needle when you make a big altitude change. I'm sure the FCR is good with altitude also but I have zero experience with it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM   #2751
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
+1 crit rat
are you running 65s? 65s is stock. most run a 68 or 70 at sea level. the fcr carbs dont like the altitude change. I have trouble with a 3k change on my xr600r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy

BigNastybrp screwed with this post 01-21-2010 at 05:05 PM
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #2752
Clipity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008
Nice looking Tard, is that a special airflow sensor for the speedo?

On a serious note, any thoughts out there re fitting the TT Vapor.
Have pondered fitting one for the temp guage, timer and other functions.
Being my first water cooled off roader I'm allways wondering re temp.
Seems to be a smart move having a guage? guess it'd give some indication when the thermotats about to grenade.
Stock motor, uncorked 175main, 68s etc., usually ridden off road (rarely on).
Has never boiled (to date) even during Black Saturday's (Feb 7th, 2009) hot day in the Vic Alps 45+ degrees centigrade!
Any (constructive) thoughts from those of you that have them fitted? Good thing or save the $'s?
[/quote]

Thanks! In those pictures I had the P.O.S TT endurance unhooked and was running a real speedo
Clipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #2753
windorman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Thanks Joe, I will run a temp. ground lead from the middle prong to the battery and try that. That is the way I had it originally installed, but I grounded to the OEM harness which does not ground to the D/S harness.
I did think it was a grounding issue, because when I would use the horn the light would become much brighter.

Paul
Well I tried grounding the middle lead on the H-4 directly to the battery; No go. Seems like it should be a simple fix, but it is giving me fits.
windorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #2754
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Well I tried grounding the middle lead on the H-4 directly to the battery; No go. Seems like it should be a simple fix, but it is giving me fits.
Australia type wiring
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #2755
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Yo freak! Can you please post some video or pics of riding your R?? Im going fucking crazy with this damn cold ass weather!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #2756
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Quote:
So you have power coming from a Hi/Low switch? That circuit only comes on with my BajaDesigns when the switch is moved to the second position.

Joe
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #2757
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood
That diagram doesn't relate to a Dualsport electrical system.

Joe
OOPS Maybe this one will help... Best I can do...

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2005%20We...kstarts%29.pdf

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421789

Craiger screwed with this post 01-22-2010 at 06:05 AM
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2758
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

That diagram doesn't relate to a Dualsport electrical system.

Joe
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 PM   #2759
chevsuz12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwilliamcantrell
I've considered the E start on mine because if floods out on the trail if I have to stop on an incline or decline. It'll flood so bad I can't get it started until I rolll to level ground. Will a different carb cure that?
My XRR did this on my first off road trip, got stuck on incline, it started dumping gas out of the airbox, and caught on fire! Shortly thereafter it started right up.

When I got home, I started to take a look at it and remembered the previous owner (I had just got the bike at the time)mentioned that he just replaced all bearings. So upon further inspection I found the carb drain hose was pinched between the swingarm and frame! Once I fixed that, it hasn't leaked since.

XR650R: The biggest, baddest dirt bike on the planet
chevsuz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #2760
chevsuz12
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Tail Light mod

Here is a simple and cheap way to add some more tail lights...

LED Strip, from harbor freight, $7.00

This is in addition to the BD LED, and LED in stock taillight housing as well. The pictures don't do it justice, it is pretty bright.

The LED strip is long enough so that about 6 LED's run down the sides of the tail also, I am lit up like a christmas tree, especially at night.
Attached Images

XR650R: The biggest, baddest dirt bike on the planet
chevsuz12 is offline   Reply With Quote