Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #3991
Nasty1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
I'm not sure how much help you need but I have a 32 inch [cm?] inseam and my suspension it raised to accommodate my weight.
I can just get the tip of my toes to touch the ground. On level ground it works well enough. When I have to touch down on the trail I have to pay attention to the terrain and be prepared to slide sideways off the saddle if I need to dab the low side of the ground.

I would try to get used to the height before lowering the suspension. Even the best system ultimately reduces ground clearance.
Well with a 28.5" inseam it the starting that proves the problem. In not impossible but hard work at times getting the combination of balance etc... plus when it goes wrong it %$% hurts!!

Adie
Old 04-23-2010, 08:52 AM   #3992
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
I don't have this on my XR, but it seems like it would work better...
http://www.performance-design.net/pe...suspension.htm
maybe someone who has can chime in?
jason

Has anybody installed this lowering link and tested the handling of the bike? It does sound interesting.

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #3993
Nasty1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood
Has anybody installed this lowering link and tested the handling of the bike? It does sound interesting.

Joe
Has anybody lowered one at all by any means and could give me some feed back Or am I the only hobbit with a BRP ??

Adie
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #3994
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1
Has anybody lowered one at all by any means and could give me some feed back Or am I the only hobbit with a BRP ??

Adie
If it works and you shave some foam out of the seat...... Good Luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #3995
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty1

Adie
I installed the Kouba lowering link, it lowers the seat about 1~1.5 inches depending on how you set your sag up. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, I didn't have issues with the XR's seat height on easy trails but when we ride the mountains it became a PITA when stopping on uneven ground.

If you're short like me and there's a 6" dip in the trail where you want to put your foot, the bike is leaned pretty far over before your foot even touches. Add a good bit of fuel up high and it's tough to stop the bike from going on it's side. I envy you 6' + guys

The LL helps but it's still a problem sometimes. The forks require adjustment (slid up 1" in the triple clamps) to maintain the bike's handling and the sag becomes very important. If both aren't setup correctly the XR doesn't want to turn, similar to the handling when the rear wheel is too far back. All lowering links are a compromise, you'll loose ground clearance and the bike's handling will suffer some. Despite that, it works for me, I'd rather give up a little in that area then to deal with the bike's seat height on uneven trails. The reduced ground clearance hasn't been an issue and we ride on some fairly steep rocky steps. I scrape it ocassionally but that's about it. I don't take the pig over huge jumps where every bit of travel is essential so the travel hasn't been an issue, I will say that if you're using all of your travel now you'll have the wheels kissing the fenders some.

Do I like the lowering link? Not really but if I want to ride the XRR on tough uneven stuff I need the lower seat height.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #3996
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,364
Everyone must be out riding

Just to remind you why we like the BRP.

RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #3997
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37
My bike is making noise again. Loud. I don't have time to go into detail right now but it ruined my day when I started it up to go to work and heard that! I just don't get it. I checked the oil afterwards and couldn't see any on the dipstick again, and it's not leaking! I've only put about 500 miles on it since I put the stage 1 hot cam in, and I changed the oil then! WTF. Going to check the valves tomorrow.

Bad day.

Check that you haven't got oil in the coolant system, otherwise it could be burning or getting blown out the crankcase vent. good luck!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #3998
Nasty1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
The LL helps but it's still a problem sometimes. The forks require adjustment (slid up 1" in the triple clamps) to maintain the bike's handling and the sag becomes very important. If both aren't setup correctly the XR doesn't want to turn, similar to the handling when the rear wheel is too far back..
So what sag do you find works best with the lowering link??

Adie
Old 04-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #3999
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,476
I tried lowering links first (1.75") on a KLX400R, but the handling of the bike was terrible. Took them off and had a Race-tech shop install a spacer in the rear shock. An 11mm spacer will give you about an 1" drop in the rear, the ratio of the spacer thickness to the drop is about 1:4.

Maybe the more moderate lowering links like a .75" or 1.25" will satisfy you, but personally I would not waste my money.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #4000
Nasty1
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
I tried lowering links first (1.75") on a KLX400R, but the handling of the bike was terrible. Took them off and had a Race-tech shop install a spacer in the rear shock. An 11mm spacer will give you about an 1" drop in the rear, the ratio of the spacer thickness to the drop is about 1:4.

Maybe the more moderate lowering links like a .75" or 1.25" will satisfy you, but personally I would not waste my money.
So, was the spacer in the shock better. Did it handle then?

Adie
Old 04-24-2010, 07:41 PM   #4001
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

DogLegPegs

After reading the StegPegz thread this morning I blew nearly the whole day making a set for my XRR. Here are the pics and a link to the other thread. I mentioned in that thread that if there was enough interest I would run a batch. The description is on the other thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572723

[IMG]Left Side DofLeg[/IMG]

[IMG]Right Side DogLeg[/IMG]
Old 04-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #4002
Clo-z-nuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
"Dual Sport" switch is fried any recommendations

I've got what I believe is an older Baja Designs kit on my 2000 XRR and the headlight portion of the switch is fried. What would you recommend as a replacement. Is there a "plug and play" replacement? I'm attaching a pic but don't know how it will turn out...sorry if it's crappy. The switch has a slider for light off/on/low/high a separate horn button, separate turn signal button and kill switch. The new Baja Design switches seem to be different.

Thanks
Attached Images

Clo-z-nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #4003
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clo-z-nuff
I've got what I believe is an older Baja Designs kit on my 2000 XRR and the headlight portion of the switch is fried. What would you recommend as a replacement. Is there a "plug and play" replacement? I'm attaching a pic but don't know how it will turn out...sorry if it's crappy. The switch has a slider for light off/on/low/high a separate horn button, separate turn signal button and kill switch. The new Baja Design switches seem to be different.

Thanks
Just order the new switch from BD. It'll work.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #4004
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I just spotted this on craigs list, thought it was pretty ingenious.
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1706355694.html

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 AM   #4005
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

I saw that too. Takes the XRR to a whole new level. J

Joe