Oddometer: 1,129
I use a Twin Air filter doods.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #5132
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Airbox

The r has a very poor seal no matter what you do. I coat the entire inside of the airbox with a thin layer of grease so that the dust that does get by has a very good chance of sticking to the grease on its way through. Then about once a year clean it all out and apply a new layer of grease.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #5133
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
Me three--same issue, dumped the K&N and I'm now back to the original filiter. I think it has to do with the side panel being opened up--if I can ever find an unmolested one I will get it and see how that works.
I've tried the stock filter, K&N, and a Uni and had the same problem with all of them. I'm beginning to believe fine dirt is getting into the airbox somewhere besides the filter itself.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #5134
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Dust in airbox

[quote=mung]The r has a very poor seal no matter what you do. I coat the entire inside of the airbox with a thin layer of grease so that the dust that does get by has a very good chance of sticking to the grease on its way through. Then about once a year clean it all out and apply a new layer of grease.

+1 on the grease, I also grease the outer edge of my filter prior to reinstalling.
Pay particular attention to the front lower left spring clip (common problem).
Ride buddy's XRR appeared to have a fine film of dust also.
Tracked that down to distorted/damaged mating edge for the cover near the dreaded spring clip.
Have a close look at the white cover and you will see a raised rib that fits into a mating groove on the air box.
If either of these are damaged the cover will not seal onto or into the airbox groove allowing the air/dust to ingress particularly around the lower front (spring clip) area.
The clip is average at best and can be forced over and onto the white outer cover even if the cover is not seated carefully.
Hope this helps.
JM
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #5135
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,583
I'm running the stock filter, After allot of reading it appears the stock filter is pretty hard to beat. Apparently Team Honda is used them in Baja we've all seen what the silt beds look like down there, pretty harsh stuff for a filter. I ran an UNI for awhile with the insertable metal frame and it passed some dust. I guess I'm lucky, I haven't had any issues since I went away from the uni and replaced the sidecover.

+1 on the sidecover mating issue, they can get distorted and it holds the cover off just enough to let the filter pass some dirt. I don't agree on the poor airbox design, edgewise, mine has sealed well and the filter doesn't seem to get dirty very fast even with open airbox.

RideFreak screwed with this post 08-21-2010 at 08:11 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:03 AM   #5136
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss
RF...what kind/brand of air filter are you using on the BRP?

Has anyone had problems with the BRP allowing fine dirt into the air box no matter how well you service and seal the air filter element? I've tried three different brands of filters and greased the edges, serviced the hell out of the filters and still seem to have a fine, fine layer of dust on the inside of the air box each time the filter is removed. Prematurely wearing the intake valves too. WTF!
Yeh same here,
tried a few filters, went back to the standard Honda filter.

Cut up an foam filter, oiled it, and placed it under the seat right at where the airbox airdams came out.
That stopped that fine dust getting in the airbox for me.
KASUYAHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 AM   #5137
Daveoz31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad
Did you balance the front tire when replacing the tires? I had a similar problem that was eliminated by balancing. Also check the spokes and the rim to see if its true....

good luck!
thanks Big toad they have not got the facilities here to balance motorcycle tyres I guess I have to go to the big smoke?

[FONT='Fixedsys','serif']Just waiting for the next opportunity to get out of this office and go for a ride.

[/FONT]
Daveoz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #5138
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaptoad
talking about reflectors, license plate lights, etc, etc......

http://usridernews.com/2010/08/12/nh...y-checkpoints/

With an Idaho registration, the XRR's have "not necessarily street legal" printed right on them in bold letters. This always makes me nervous about getting stopped any time, any state, so I ride very carefully on the street. I have been modifing my bike to look more like a real street bike all the time so as not to raise suspicion. I am even planning on converting to a low front fender(UFO Superbiker in black) this winter. However, with bull stops just targeting bikes, we don't have a chance.
In Alberta, once the XR650R is plated as a "motorcycle" there is no writen indication at all that it is not street legal. Even the head tube sticker with the VIN # says "motorcycle" & "meets all Canadian requirements" etc.

I think the best thing to do is make sure your bike is equiped with everything required in your state, that way the cop is most likely convinced that all is legit.
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #5139
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

[quote=jm-2008]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung
The r has a very poor seal no matter what you do. I coat the entire inside of the airbox with a thin layer of grease so that the dust that does get by has a very good chance of sticking to the grease on its way through. Then about once a year clean it all out and apply a new layer of grease.

+1 on the grease, I also grease the outer edge of my filter prior to reinstalling.
Pay particular attention to the front lower left spring clip (common problem).
Ride buddy's XRR appeared to have a fine film of dust also.
Tracked that down to distorted/damaged mating edge for the cover near the dreaded spring clip.
Have a close look at the white cover and you will see a raised rib that fits into a mating groove on the air box.
If either of these are damaged the cover will not seal onto or into the airbox groove allowing the air/dust to ingress particularly around the lower front (spring clip) area.
The clip is average at best and can be forced over and onto the white outer cover even if the cover is not seated carefully.
Hope this helps.
JM

Good advice! I replaced the left side cover almost a year ago, but never looked closely at the mating surface of the cover. I'll look into that and maybe try the stock OEM filter element again. Thanks for the replies!!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM   #5140
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO
Yeh same here,
tried a few filters, went back to the standard Honda filter.

Cut up an foam filter, oiled it, and placed it under the seat right at where the airbox airdams came out.
That stopped that fine dust getting in the airbox for me.
I have also done this "pre-filter" trick when we rode in Baja in February. It worked very well until the pre-filter became clogged with silt! Then I just removed it for the last two days and the regular air filter was still very clean. Still had a fine layer of dust on the inside of the airbox when I got home though! Oh well...I guess it's time for new intake valves this winter!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #5141
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
I prefer the stock air filter, they work great!
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:03 PM   #5142
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Wheel balance

Daveoz31 - Not hard to get them reasonably close.
Providing the bearings run free slip a length length of rod (or long screwdriver) through the wheel bearings and prop the wheel up on something solid.
Counterweight the heavy spot with solder , weights (if you have spoke specific types) or grab some lead flushing, cut it into strips and roll around the spokes.
Not as good as dynamic balancing but will be a lot better than nothing.
This method has allways worked well for myself.
Regards,

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #5143
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
The twin air filter seals good,so that only air gets past.
I had the fine hint of dust thing with the Honda filter and sorted it out but still wasn't flowing enough air so i swapped out to the Twin Air knowing i had to be careful with the seal beforehand.
Flows good and seals tight so it's a bonus.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #5144
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008
Daveoz31 - Not hard to get them reasonably close.
Providing the bearings run free slip a length length of rod (or long screwdriver) through the wheel bearings and prop the wheel up on something solid.
Counterweight the heavy spot with solder , weights (if you have spoke specific types) or grab some lead flushing, cut it into strips and roll around the spokes.
Not as good as dynamic balancing but will be a lot better than nothing.
The axle works pretty well and tire places will often give you stick on weights for free.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #5145
singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
mikuni tm40

Hi all need some advise on how to remove the accelerator pump nozzle
on a mikuni tm40 have to put a smaller one in.
Thank Tim.
singer is offline   Reply With Quote