ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #5161
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer
 
jm-2008's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: South Eastern Australia
Oddometer: 513
Newby - NSKITTS

nskitts - Good to hear you have joined the clan.
The inmates here are very helpfull with info.
Worth a look at this site - http://www.xr650r.us/
Enjoy

Regards,
JM-2008
jm-2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #5162
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,251
I was 2nd in sportsman ironman and 5th overal ironman.

It was my first ever desert race, first race in 9 years, first time on a four stroke dirt bike (but I have dual sported on a dr350 half a dozen times) and first time racing a four stroke. I've also only ridden about an average of once a year for the past decade or so. I almost didn't get make it to the race but was able to get things together thanks to a ton of help from others, still didn't have any chase crew or pit support other than gas from baja bits.

I've got some pics and comments in the main V2R racing thread, still need to do a full race report (its coming!).

If I race it again on the BRP I'll run a little taller gearing. For now I'll probably stick with the 15/48.

Anyone have a clue how fast a BRP is going on the rev limit with 15/48 and a dunlop 606? It seemed to go pretty fast, but another 10mph would have made passing on the smooth bits a lot quicker/easier. For trail riding and such its more than fast enough though.

Here's me, the brp and some random dude that parked next to me at the tech day and insisted on a picture with me


Some guy who insisted on sitting with me at dinner


and there was a ramp in the way just after the finish line
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 11:29 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #5163
badcooky
I see dumb people!
 
badcooky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: At QLD Australia
Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I just got 2nd in Vegas to Reno in what was pretty much my first ever ride on a BRP (I puttered around for about 30 minutes on it just before the race). Fantastic machine, just ate up the desert. Now if only I could keep wheels on the beast. Both are trashed and I was running 19-20psi.

Now I need new rims (any suggestions?), new chain and sprocket (I was 15/48 and am pretty sure it was able to pull that to the limiter so I might go 15/47 - thoughts?) and will check the valves, change oil, air filter etc. I'm also going to need to get the suspension done up as it isn't great and the damper serviced as it started leaking before I even got to the start of the race, but those will have to wait a while ($$$). Anyone know off hand how long of a chain I need for 15/47 and/or 15/48? I'd like to run the adjusters all the way forward I think.

Edit, just ordered 15/48 and a long chain that I'll cut to fit.
Does well.
__________________
The mighty XR650R.
The old trail bike that all modern trail bikes are judged by.
It's funny cause it's true!.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:39 AM   #5164
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer
 
nskitts's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 3,229
Basically, you are saying that all the glory goes to the Pig!

Just kiddin', congrats man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I was 2nd in sportsman ironman and 5th overal ironman.

It was my first ever desert race, first race in 9 years, first time on a four stroke dirt bike (but I have dual sported on a dr350 half a dozen times) and first time racing a four stroke. I've also only ridden about an average of once a year for the past decade or so. I almost didn't get make it to the race but was able to get things together thanks to a ton of help from others, still didn't have any chase crew or pit support other than gas from baja bits.

I've got some pics and comments in the main V2R racing thread, still need to do a full race report (its coming!).

If I race it again on the BRP I'll run a little taller gearing. For now I'll probably stick with the 15/48.

Anyone have a clue how fast a BRP is going on the rev limit with 15/48 and a dunlop 606? It seemed to go pretty fast, but another 10mph would have made passing on the smooth bits a lot quicker/easier. For trail riding and such its more than fast enough though.

Here's me, the brp and some random dude that parked next to me at the tech day and insisted on a picture with me


Some guy who insisted on sitting with me at dinner


and there was a ramp in the way just after the finish line
__________________
"I never regretted any vacation that I took."
--Dad, a few months before he passed.



nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 AM   #5165
baja_brewer
Adventurer
 
baja_brewer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 23
Tires

I'm looking to pick up some tires (DOT) and after a bit or research and thinking I'm going for some 50/50's. Does anyone have experience running MEFO Explorers on the BRP?

I know they're spendy, but I've only read good things on them online... And I commute past Twisted Throttle, one of the few places that seems to carry them, daily.
baja_brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #5166
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
I just got 2nd in Vegas to Reno in what was pretty much my first ever ride on a BRP (I puttered around for about 30 minutes on it just before the race). Fantastic machine, just ate up the desert. Now if only I could keep wheels on the beast. Both are trashed and I was running 19-20psi.

Now I need new rims (any suggestions?), new chain and sprocket (I was 15/48 and am pretty sure it was able to pull that to the limiter so I might go 15/47 - thoughts?) and will check the valves, change oil, air filter etc. I'm also going to need to get the suspension done up as it isn't great and the damper serviced as it started leaking before I even got to the start of the race, but those will have to wait a while ($$$). Anyone know off hand how long of a chain I need for 15/47 and/or 15/48? I'd like to run the adjusters all the way forward I think.

Edit, just ordered 15/48 and a long chain that I'll cut to fit.
112 links

What i do is push the wheel forward as far as possible,
put the chain on and mark it.
15/47 works best
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #5167
KASUYAHO
Road Hog
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Aussie Land
Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot

If I race it again on the BRP I'll run a little taller gearing. For now I'll probably stick with the 15/48.

Anyone have a clue how fast a BRP is going on the rev limit with 15/48 and a dunlop 606?
15/47, 106 mph at 8,000 rpm

15/48, 104 mph at 8,000 rpm
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #5168
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
In the process of trading my 450F to a 650R, but the fiance is not very happy... she would like something that looks a bit more comfy.

I told her she could use the airhawk for short 100mile rides... Is the stock seat as bad as my 450?
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #5169
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,251
The stock seat is a bit wider and more cushy than a CRF seat, but only just a bit.

A renazco (sp?) is much wider and more comfy though



Thanks KASUYAHO
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #5170
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
Stock seat and the airhawk, will it work for her?
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #5171
nskitts
Beastly Adventurer
 
nskitts's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Southern Ohio
Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0
Stock seat and the airhawk, will it work for her?
You mean 2 up?
__________________
"I never regretted any vacation that I took."
--Dad, a few months before he passed.



nskitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #5172
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
yeappp
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #5173
RENCRN8
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RENCRN8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Loveland, OH
Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0
yeappp
The seat will be the least of her worries when she finds out there are no pillion pegs and the subframes are weak as shit....just sayin
RENCRN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM   #5174
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENCRN8
The seat will be the least of her worries when she finds out there are no pillion pegs and the subframes are weak as shit....just sayin
I know the Us variants are pretty weak. The Aus bikes seem to have the mini sub frame under the tail.

I can drop on some removable clip on foot pegs. Shes not big so I doubt it ll be a problem. She use to handle the 450F well. (so i think)
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #5175
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,458
Can anybody confirm if 25000 miles is a lot for the 650R?

25k is nothing on a 650gs, but I have a feeling it could be plenty on the pig.
__________________
06 950S, YZ250WR, 300 TXT Pro
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV,Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015