Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #5821
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksamwell
RideFreak provided a very good description of the process in post #4715.
I've tried twice now....and it still pours gas. Am I supposed ot be bending the tangs on the needle itself, or that tab that the needle sits on? I've tried both, once pushing them both so the float should hit way earlier, and it still pours gas out. I bent the tab that the needle sits on, way up, probably too far. Gas still dumps. Obviously, I'm friggin clueless here. Where is the 16-17mm measurement coming from?

Went back in and bent that tab a little farther. Dripping has now stopped. But, now the bike WILL NOT crank. I tried for over an hour. Tried kicking it over, pushed it up the hill and tried bump starting it several times, more kicking, nothing. It will not fire over. Back to the drawing board I guess. Is it possible the float is not cutting off all gas from going through the carb? If that's the case looks like I have a choice, dripping gas or non running bike.

BHW screwed with this post 10-31-2010 at 02:04 PM
BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #5822
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
BHW- Flooding

[quote=BHW]I've tried twice now....and it still pours gas. Am I supposed ot be bending the tangs on the needle itself, or that tab that the needle sits on? I've tried both, once pushing them both so the float should hit way earlier, and it still pours gas out. I bent the tab that the needle sits on, way up, probably too far. Gas still dumps. Obviously, I'm friggin clueless here. Where is the 16-17mm measurement coming from?

Went back in and bent that tab a little farther. Dripping has now stopped. But, now the bike WILL NOT crank. I tried for over an hour. Tried kicking it over, pushed it up the hill and tried bump starting it several times, more kicking, nothing. It will not fire over. Back to the drawing board I guess. Is it possible the float is not cutting off all gas from going through the carb? If that's the case looks like I have a choice, dripping gas or non running bike

Remove float bowl and gasket.
Slowly rotate the carb until you see the float rest on the needle's spring loaded pin.
Note at this point the float arm should be hanging down and resting on the pin (ensure the spring loaded pin is not being compressed)
Bottom of the float to base of the carby should be 17mm (factory) or 19mm.
Adjust height by gently bending the float arm tab that rests on the needle.

Are you able to post pics of the float and needle assembly when next apart?
Sorry I have'nt any pic's to show how it's done.
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #5823
pigfixer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Sounds like you need a new needle and seat.
You probably bent the tab so far as to not let any fuel into the float bowl.
pigfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #5824
Blacksamwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
BHW, don't get discouraged. Just make sure you've worked through all of the possibilities.

I struggled with the same issue on my bike. I thought for sure I was going to need to replace the float needle and seat when my efforts at setting the float height to 19 mm didn't solve the problem.

So I pulled the carb off one more time in preparation and went to see how bad the condition of the seat was. Well, when I put a light down the hole I could see a blob of some black crud clearly stuck to the side of the seat. In spite of cleaning the carb multiple times during my work, I hadn't ever visually checked that dark hole and I was overlooking a simple fix.

I blasted the crud out with carb cleaner and compressed air, re-verified the float level at 19mm, and FINALLY it stopped pissing gas.

Also... There's a very slim chance that your float might have a small leak and therefore isn't floating the way it should. Check that by pulling it off the carb and shaking it next to your ear. If you hear anything sloshing around inside the float it is bad and should be replaced.

This page has some very nice pictures to go along with the textual instructions.
Blacksamwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #5825
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,939
Ey guys and gals.... I hardly ever use my choke... What is the OFF position in the choke?? Lever up or lever pointing down??? Can't remember.... I think it is off in the DOWN position... Thanks sincerely, BRP choke Ra-tard...
1224R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #5826
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksamwell

This page has some very nice pictures to go along with the textual instructions.
Thanks for that link, that's exactly the kind of instructions and pics I need. The float needle/valve I put in was new. But I couldn't figure out where to measure from to get 17-19mm.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #5827
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1224R
Ey guys and gals.... I hardly ever use my choke... What is the OFF position in the choke?? Lever up or lever pointing down??? Can't remember.... I think it is off in the DOWN position... Thanks sincerely, BRP choke Ra-tard...
Pointing at 6:00 is off or no choke

8:00 is partial choke

9:00 is full choke
Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #5828
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 851
What size chain?

While tearing down the 05 XR650R I noticed that the chain was a bit too tight. Upon further examination I determined that it is running a chain that is too short. The alignment blocks are over halfway forward and the chain is tight, so not much room to loosen it without it rubbing the shock guard. So I guess I am gonna have to buy a new chain.

What size chain does the stock XR650R run and what is the stock tooth count on the counter and rear sprockets?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #5829
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastie3202
While tearing down the 05 XR650R I noticed that the chain was a bit too tight. Upon further examination I determined that it is running a chain that is too short. The alignment blocks are over halfway forward and the chain is tight, so not much room to loosen it without it rubbing the shock guard. So I guess I am gonna have to buy a new chain.

What size chain does the stock XR650R run and what is the stock tooth count on the counter and rear sprockets?

Thanks for your help.
It is recommended to run the tire as far forward as possible to help the bike turn. That being said I've had to replace two rear shock guards that were eaten by rear tires.
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:11 AM   #5830
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,572
Quote:
Ah Shit...more work. God what next? Should I repack the headlight while I have everything apart?
You'll have to get a pack of sparks for the battery too.......
KASUYAHO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #5831
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO
You'll have to get a pack of sparks for the battery too.......
See, now your mak'in fun of my skool'n. I am smart enough to know that the sparks ain't got noth'n to do with the battery, they be what hold the tare onto the motorckle, and all my sparks are there and be tight. Besides the XRR ain't got no battry. Hell, even I no that!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #5832
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

I'm about to give up. I have two options with my carburetor, let it drip gas out hte vent tube any time the petcock is open, or close it off so the bike won't get any gas and run. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I've adjusted the float several times, it's either off or on. At 16-17mm it pours gas out the vent tube. And more nd it shuts off completely.

Tried a new float needle. Same issue. Inside of carb is clean, no gunk or deposits. Everything seems to be working properly except the float.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #5833
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 4,329
Do pigs swim?
Attached Images

modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #5834
peterhively
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW
I'm about to give up. I have two options with my carburetor, let it drip gas out hte vent tube any time the petcock is open, or close it off so the bike won't get any gas and run. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground.

I've adjusted the float several times, it's either off or on. At 16-17mm it pours gas out the vent tube. And more nd it shuts off completely.

Tried a new float needle. Same issue. Inside of carb is clean, no gunk or deposits. Everything seems to be working properly except the float.
I know it's frustrating, I went through the same thing when I got my R.

First I would verify that your tank is clean, some folks clean carbs over and over when there is junk in the tank.

I had to set my float at 19mm. before I did that it would leak on the sidestand and blubber and bog going up steep hills. Set like that your bike should be just fine.

It is possible at this point that your float is mangled out of normal alignment, one float lower then the other. I suspected the same when I was struggling with mine, so I just replaced it. New float, new float needle, visually verify the float needle SEAT is clean and in good condition like the guy said above. I have heard of people using a pencil eraser or similar to clean the seat, I think you can even buy a tool to dress the seat.

Also verify the float is not getting hung up on anything, it should be free to go up and down.

Don't give up!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11700125
peterhively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #5835
peterhively
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Stock is 14/48 and 110 links.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post11700125
peterhively is offline   Reply With Quote