Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:27 AM   #6062
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 835
Nervous

Taking the BRP to New Mexico MVD today to see if I can get it plated for street use. I'm confident that everything needed to make it street legal is mounted and working, but nervous anyway. Wish me luck.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #6063
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,427
Nice Vid!

BDirt, you kid rips pretty good on the XR, I give ya about a year and you won't be able to keep up w/ him

Those trails looked like fun. Nice job on the vid
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #6064
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
BDirt, you kid rips pretty good on the XR, I give ya about a year and you won't be able to keep up w/ him

Those trails looked like fun. Nice job on the vid

Thanks Freak,

and thats what Im hoping for...... him to kick my ass riding
Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #6065
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
I can only report from my experience with both carbs and on my application, the difference is very obvious throughout the RPM range. Doesn't surprise me though, a modern gate valve design has better flow than the older round slide everywhere but WOT.
Freak,
What you say over here is wise and i respect what you say,
just it was a open statement.

Just the statement of a pumper is faster through out the power band i believe not to be so.
I think getting the right combination is the way to go and i know you would agree with that Freak.
Honda didn't put on the carby the bike if it was not part of the right combination.
Thats all i am saying.

Back a page or so, i put a comparison of a mates bike and mine.
Mine being bike 2.
The combination i have is close to the one that the Safari / Rallye bikes used over here.
Minus the higher compression piston.

A mate who ran second in sportsman class in Baja 1000 last year,
stated the bike he rode had a stock carby and it has been the fastest 650R he has ever riddin compared to his bikes with stock carby and pumper carbies and his mates pumper carby bikes.

Ride on
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #6066
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499

Just bought a BRP yesterday, should be picking it up today or tomorrow.

Sorry for the crappy CL pic, all I have right now. My brother had a '08 650L that I put around 2k on...the R is such an all around better bike.

It has some mods, and its fully uncorked. I need to find a stock intake manifold so i can pass AZ emission testing and get it plated.

Let me know if anyone has one sitting around.
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM   #6067
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 627
upgrading the BRP powerplant!!

BikePilot:

In response to your question about getting more power from the BRP, here's my two cents!
I have owned a 01 XR650R since about 05! When I got the bike it was completely stock with the exception of a pipe and baja designs d/s kit ! Very solid bike, even though it had been ridden hard, dirt and raced supermoto! I have done many modifications and upgrades, mucho dollars spent!
The main problem w/ the stock carb is the fact that it is a c/v carb!No amount of jets, needles, and testing will completely get rid of the stumble or burble at the bottom end when you crack the throttle. I put in the correct jets and needle from HRC. Ran great all the way through the powerband esp at the top. But the bike still stumbled at low rpm as you crack the throttle to lift the front wheel for a steep embankment or tree across a trail. It also has a tendency to stumble on a big jump, floats and such moving when the pig is in the air. Not a problem for me as I don't jump like that on this bike. The other problem w/ the stock carb was starting it after it got dumped or flooded.

I searched and found a BRP that I could test! A built XR with a 680 kit, high comp, stage two cam, and a fcr pumper carb, w/ the cdi from xr400, and a procircuit exhaust!
It was an eye opener! Basically it was a point and shoot bike! BUT it better be pointed in the exact right direction, or you would be in trouble very quickly!! Think crf450r but with the big piggy's weight and handling. Very scary for me at my level of riding then, I might be able to handle it now but not then. The thing just plain ripped! Very scary back then!

So I decided to for a more tame approach as I did not have the money for a big bore kit and a fcr.
Here is the list of what I did to make my xr into a great d/s that rips.
Edelbrock pumper carb
Leovince pipe and header
XR400R CDI box ( not the older style) the newer one as it is readily available from honda
Opened up airbox cover, and the normal un-corking of the airbox and manifold
Hot cams Stage 1 camshaft
Suspension and Scotts steering stabiliser
Host of other mods but lets stay with the power

The power is great from down low off idle to WOT! No stumble, lofts the front end in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd , almost at will! it hits 100mph vey quickly!
At 60mph with revs at 6000 crack the throttle and it will just spin the rear tire to oblivion on gravel or dirt! It's got a ton of useable power everywhere!

To say the least I could not be happier, It runs on regular if you go to mexico or other outlying areas, bonus points for long range d/s.

When the motor needs some freshening up I will, at some point, open it up and put the 680kit in with new Falicon rod, upgrade the head with larger valves and better springs, and add the FCR pumper carb. At this point in time it does not need it. Believe me I have tried to destroy it in the last 12k, but I can't. WOT on the Alvord desert in eastern Oregon for as long as I can stand it does not cause any problems for the motor, just my vision and nerves.
As you ride it more and more you will find that it just keeps going and going like the energizer bunny! I'm on my third set of rear wheel bearings, and countless rear tires.
The biggest difference in power that you can feel when you get the bike set up is tires. With a Dunlop 606 size 120 it feels way faster and digs in the dirt!
When I spoon on a 908rr Dunlop 140 it feels like I detuned the motor a whole lot! It just feels sluggish! Pick up one and the other, the 908 feels twice as heavy. But on a long d/s ride over 1000 miles i put on the 908 as I know I can make the return trip, w/o changing rears. With the 606 I'm changing them out at an alarming rate if there is pavement involved, 600-800 miles normally. I have made a 606 last 1200 miles in Death Valley last year but it was cold and mostly off road!
There are a lot of upgrades you can throw money at! I chose spending my money on suspension and handling first as I'm a retired road racer and instructor. These upgrades to the power plant were done after I got the bike to handle the way I wanted it to! Then I could ride it at speed comfortably!
Sorry for the long and winding post! Although everyone does things differently I believe the way I approached my project is the way to go!
If I had alot of extra money around I would not have done anything different on the process except I would have wired the d/s system w/ the highway dirtbike switches and not have used the Baja Designs system, but he Baja Designs was already on the bike, and the Highway Dirtbikes stuff was not out yet, that I knew about!

Hope this helps some of you BRP fans! I love the fact that everyone has their own way of creating a great bike from such an incredible platform to start w/. I ride w/ a bunch of other guys w/ great bikes, KTM, BMW, Husky, and Husabergs. I drool over the lightweight, legal and vastly superior engineering of many other models like the above, but my BRP has never broken down, failed or left me stranded like all the others have. Yes the others do excel in other aspects! It's like dating the supermodel vs. the girl next door, the girl next door is always there for a romp in the dirt! She keeps knocking on the door for more!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #6068
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
Pigpen>
Does this CDI have the 2' timing advance?

Honda part #30410-MBN-671

This seems to be the same part number for all of the XR400r and XR650R nowadays as the 96/97 XR400R CDI is no longer OEM available,
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #6069
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO
Freak,
What you say over here is wise and i respect what you say,
just it was a open statement.

Just the statement of a pumper is faster through out the power band i believe not to be so.
I think getting the right combination is the way to go and i know you would agree with that Freak.
Honda didn't put on the carby the bike if it was not part of the right combination.
Thats all i am saying.

Back a page or so, i put a comparison of a mates bike and mine.
Mine being bike 2.
The combination i have is close to the one that the Safari / Rallye bikes used over here.
Minus the higher compression piston.

A mate who ran second in sportsman class in Baja 1000 last year,
stated the bike he rode had a stock carby and it has been the fastest 650R he has ever riddin compared to his bikes with stock carby and pumper carbies and his mates pumper carby bikes.

Ride on
I'm not disputing those guys ether, racers usally know their stuff. Out here in NM we got some really long dirt roads, easy 100mph WFO terrain, miles of the stuff I ride allot with someone on an 525RFS, we race 'em on these roads all the time coming back from riding so I've gotten a really good comparison as to the carb differences compared to a constant (the KTM) with everything else remaining the same. This KTM is usally neck & neck with the XR up to about 80mph then the XRR pulls it. Maybe it's the open side cover combo with the carb but the difference was really apparent to both of us. Every bike's state of tune is different, I like to think mine's tuned pretty well, it runs great with the stock carb, but it runs better/pulls harder with the pumper.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #6070
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24

Just bought a BRP yesterday, should be picking it up today or tomorrow.

It has some mods, and its fully uncorked. I need to find a stock intake manifold so i can pass AZ emission testing and get it plated.

Let me know if anyone has one sitting around.
I have one...but I don't think you'll need it. My XRR passed with the bike uncorked. I would go and try and pass emissions with out it.
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:30 AM   #6071
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
Pigpen>
Does this CDI have the 2' timing advance?

Honda part #30410-MBN-671

This seems to be the same part number for all of the XR400r and XR650R nowadays as the 96/97 XR400R CDI is no longer OEM available,
The one with the advance is 070000-2650. you can find 'em on ebay occasionally.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #6072
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe
I have one...but I don't think you'll need it. My XRR passed with the bike uncorked. I would go and try and pass emissions with out it.
Ok I guess I'll try first, it's got a 175 main with 68s. The guy I'm getting it from had it street legal already but said he had to re-cork it for it to pass. He told me he tried a bunch of different things, but it wouldn't pass without the other manifold.
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #6073
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
OK, I'm finally ready for some engine mods... I'm setting up a new to me XRR. I'm finally going to get the pumper carb and I want to get a cam. The motor is almost brand new so no piston or crank needed.

It seems like 'some people' have a quality issue with Hot Cams. Is their another manufacture out there that produces quality cams for the XRR?

Also, I see people using both Stage 1 and Stage 2 cams. Which one would I chose for the following conditions. I ride from low speed (technical riding) t0 60 to 80 mph. No 100 mph stuff for me. I have a stock exhaust with HRC tip, TM 40 carb and I could open up the side panel of the air box if needed.

Thanks for the help. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #6074
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,153
Carbs

Easy way to find out--we take my XRR 15\45 with the stock carb and run it up beside yours with the pumper--if you ever get a set of forks to go on it!
I think the stock carb is empting the fuel bowl as I pass 90 or so.

Quote:
I'm not disputing those guys ether, racers usally know their stuff. Out here in NM we got some really long dirt roads, easy 100mph WFO terrain, miles of the stuff I ride allot with someone on an 525RFS, we race 'em on these roads all the time coming back from riding so I've gotten a really good comparison as to the carb differences compared to a constant (the KTM) with everything else remaining the same. This KTM is usally neck & neck with the XR up to about 80mph then the XRR pulls it. Maybe it's the open side cover combo with the carb but the difference was really apparent to both of us. Every bike's state of tune is different, I like to think mine's tuned pretty well, it runs great with the stock carb, but it runs better/pulls harder with the pumper.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #6075
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,556
[quote=Garthe]OK, I'm finally ready for some engine mods...

It seems like 'some people' have a quality issue with Hot Cams. Is their another manufacture out there that produces quality cams for the XRR?...

I had the stg one in for about a month, easy install, and I enjoyed the extra power. However, I had a helluva time trying to distinguish TDC position from the "other" real hard spot on the stroke when kicking.

Two real hard spots on each stroke, pull decomp in for about an inch or 2 of travel, then back to the top and kick like hell. It was just random luck if I was actually at TDC or not. So it usually took me 4 or 5 kicks to get it started. Once I got it started though, it was great. If I was going to go aftermarket cam again, I would choose one that you could add the autodecomp.

Someone here may have a good tip on how to find TDC (other than it's the hard spot) when you don't have a autodecomp on the cam, but I couldn't figure it out. I'll give it another try next month, sort of beginning to miss it.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote