ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #676
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Ducati
Hello all, well after getting my new XR home and seeing its running fat I took a look at the jets, and whats in it now is big I would think a 70 & 145. I would guess this is what people are running at low elevation & the baja? As that is were the bike came from. Do you guys know a good starting point for the mountains 5600-6000ft but barometer is sometimes 8000ft+? Any help would be great. PS this is the stock Honda carb im dealing with.
You may want to double check your jets you probably meant 170 for the main...but not sure about the pilot but possibly 70 or 68...Assuming its uncorked that is...
I have no experience with Jetting at those Alt. But let us know what temps you ride and I'm sure someone can give you some guidance.
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #677
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jm-2008's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: South Eastern Australia
Oddometer: 478
Jetting

Hope Baldy does'nt mind, you can get some guidelines at this address - http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/
Mine has stock motor, uncorked, centre removed on the tail pipe (nice note & not offensive), air filter cover has not been drilled, runs 170 main & 68 pilot here in Oz.
Runs fine at 3000 feet altitude.
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:08 AM   #678
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NM Ducati's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NM High desert
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
You may want to double check your jets you probably meant 170 for the main...but not sure about the pilot but possibly 70 or 68...Assuming its uncorked that is...
I have no experience with Jetting at those Alt. But let us know what temps you ride and I'm sure someone can give you some guidance.
Well I double checked they are as I wrote last night 145 main, 70 pilot? As far as being uncorked?? Its got a pro circut pipe but the header is stock, a twin air filter with no holes in the cover, 02 injection has been removed. This is my second day with this thing so not sure as to what uncorked means? As far as temps this time of year it gets no hotter than 70 deg, but in the summer it can reach 100 deg.
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #679
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NM Ducati's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NM High desert
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008
Hope Baldy does'nt mind, you can get some guidelines at this address - http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/
Mine has stock motor, uncorked, centre removed on the tail pipe (nice note & not offensive), air filter cover has not been drilled, runs 170 main & 68 pilot here in Oz.
Runs fine at 3000 feet altitude.
Thank you ill check it out.
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:27 AM   #680
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NM Ducati's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NM High desert
Oddometer: 114
Question Wow

Ok after reading the above link this thing has a very small main jet WTF?? 145 is not even on there chart I wonder if they (the shop the previous owner took it to) messed up putting it in and thought it was a 175??
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM   #681
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater
 
AtomicXRer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Los Alamos, Northern NM
Oddometer: 3,954
In North NM (incl Abq) elevation, you should be running:

165 main
68s pilot
B53E comp needle 3rd position
16 mm float

uncorked means:
1.) Air restriction "cork" muffler insert removed from stock exhaust.
2.) replacing the carb oval shaped insulator to a round shaped insulator
3.) and putting in the jets as listed above


Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Ducati
Ok after reading the above link this thing has a very small main jet WTF?? 145 is not even on there chart I wonder if they (the shop the previous owner took it to) messed up putting it in and thought it was a 175??
__________________
2003 KX250 - plated
2014 WR450F - Getting it plated.

AtomicXRer screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 08:09 AM
AtomicXRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM   #682
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NM Ducati's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: NM High desert
Oddometer: 114
Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
In North NM (incl Abq) elevation, you should be running:

165 main
68s pilot
B53E comp needle 3rd position
16 mm float

uncorked means:
1.) Air restriction "cork" muffler insert removed from stock exhaust.
2.) replacing the carb oval shaped insulator to a round shaped insulator
3.) and putting in the jets as listed above
Ok thank you very much. Ill get it put back together today and be riding
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 PM   #683
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 204
quick fork oil question:

I understand the proper check for oil level is to measure the distance from the top of the fully compressed fork tube down to the oil level (apprx. 120mm is the recommended level). However next to 120mm in the shop manual it says 21.5 US oz. I poured in 16 US oz. and it came up to 120mm. I pumped the damper rod 8 or 10 times, let it sit and settle and was at 120mm. I stuck the distance collar back in and the adjuster collar and mounted it back up.

Why did I get to 120mm with only 16 out of 21.5 ounces in the fork?? WTH?

Thanks

kjazz screwed with this post 03-31-2009 at 12:59 PM
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM   #684
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer
 
pman13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Oddometer: 147
You most likely didn't get all of the old oil out. How did you drain them?
__________________
Jason
2000 Honda XR650R
1986 Honda XR200R
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #685
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjazz
quick fork oil question:

I understand the proper check for oil level is to measure the distance from the top of the fully compressed fork tube down to the oil level (apprx. 120mm is the recommended level). However next to 120mm in the shop manual it says 21.5 US oz. I poured in 16 US oz. and it came up to 120mm. I pumped the damper rod 8 or 10 times, let it sit and settle and was at 120mm. I stuck the distance collar back in and the adjuster collar and mounted it back up.

Why did I get to 120mm with only 16 out of 21.5 ounces in the fork?? WTH?

Thanks
I used a 50cc Syringe and put in 650cc's and it came to 110 and that equals 21.9oz. so I agree with pman13 that it must have still had oil in. May sound dumb but you measured without the spring? Just throwing out ideas.
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #686
kjazz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Oddometer: 204
To remove the old oil: I just turned the fork leg up side down and cycled the damper rod 8 or 10 times, also slid the slider (fork tube) in and out 4 or 5 times. By the time I got through getting the old oil out, the damper was moving very freely as if no remaining oil was passing through any apetures, or whatever. I agree, the best explanation is that some oil was left in. Will this hurt anything?

I did remove the spring and the distance collar and adjuster collar prior to pouring in new oil and measuring.

Last night I did the same on the other fork leg. This one took about 18.5 oz. to fill to 120mm mark.

Unless someone can tell me I'm getting into trouble here, I guess I'll just blow it off and ride the stinking thing!!

Thanks for your help and please add more to this if you think it'll help me to understand it.

best,
Kerry
kjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #687
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjazz
To remove the old oil: I just turned the fork leg up side down and cycled the damper rod 8 or 10 times, also slid the slider (fork tube) in and out 4 or 5 times. By the time I got through getting the old oil out, the damper was moving very freely as if no remaining oil was passing through any apetures, or whatever. I agree, the best explanation is that some oil was left in. Will this hurt anything?

I did remove the spring and the distance collar and adjuster collar prior to pouring in new oil and measuring.

Last night I did the same on the other fork leg. This one took about 18.5 oz. to fill to 120mm mark.

Unless someone can tell me I'm getting into trouble here, I guess I'll just blow it off and ride the stinking thing!!

Thanks for your help and please add more to this if you think it'll help me to understand it.

best,
Kerry
Unless your old oil was contaminated it sounds like your fine to me...its more important to have the same level in each fork and if you are sure of that then your good to go! 120mm from top is 120 from top no matter how much you had to add, the way I see it.

Ride and Enjoy

XRRK
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 PM   #688
crustyphil
n00b
 
crustyphil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Western Australia
Oddometer: 3
Michael Byrne's XR650R

Hey guys - sorry to interrupt! Thought I'd post a link to an article re Byrner's XR650 from the 00/01 Thumpernats held in Australia (as RdrMtn requested earlier...).

Here it is: (It's scanned from ADB mag - had to link it to my album otherwise it was going to be too big plus photobucket was resizing and you couldn't read it...)

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/w...ners%20XR650R/

I remember wondering at the time how he could beat those 520's and 426's around an MX track (I was riding a CR250 at that stage)... Now I have a 650 and still think the same thing ...

BTW - Hi to all! - am new to this place - setup my account last year and never got back to it... The accumulated knowledge here is awesome - THANKS!

Cheers, Phil.
crustyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #689
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Australia - Great Southern Land
Oddometer: 1,119
Bluhduh Snapped Chain, Sprocket cover bolts/sheared from crakcase!!

G'day fellow XR650 riders.
My chain snapped whilst on way home from work, I had it adjusted correctly, with the end result being that the bolts holding the front sprocket cover have been torn from their holes, taking with them their threaded housings in the crank case.
I have one of the pieces, but whats my best repair option?
Liquid metal?
New crank case?
Any help appreciated, cheers
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #690
husky123
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Leesburg, VA
Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyphil
Hey guys - sorry to interrupt! Thought I'd post a link to an article re Byrner's XR650 from the 00/01 Thumpernats held in Australia (as RdrMtn requested earlier...).

Here it is: (It's scanned from ADB mag - had to link it to my album otherwise it was going to be too big plus photobucket was resizing and you couldn't read it...)

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/w...ners%20XR650R/

I remember wondering at the time how he could beat those 520's and 426's around an MX track (I was riding a CR250 at that stage)... Now I have a 650 and still think the same thing ...

BTW - Hi to all! - am new to this place - setup my account last year and never got back to it... The accumulated knowledge here is awesome - THANKS!

Cheers, Phil.
Thanks Phil. That was awesome!
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014