Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 11:53 AM   #7276
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
There are a few good threads on here about the 650R's electrical system, and installing high-output stators, dualsport kits, accessories, etc. Quick search will turn them up...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #7277
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
There are a few good threads on here about the 650R's electrical system, and installing high-output stators, dualsport kits, accessories, etc. Quick search will turn them up...
links...........?

I'm in the same boat and this thread alone is...........HUMONGOUS.........jus' like me.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #7278
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
links...........?

I'm in the same boat and this thread alone is...........HUMONGOUS.........jus' like me.....
Come awn man, don't be so lazy. Just type two words into the search box: 'xr650r' and 'electrical'

But here's one to get you started.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #7279
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Come awn man, don't be so lazy. Just type two words into the search box: 'xr650r' and 'electrical'

But here's one to get you started.
gracias....I wouldn't cross electrical as a search term....cause we all think differntly....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #7280
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Wanting to tap anyone who has added any aux power to their XR.

Wondering if there is a kit, or a better more professional way to have some battery juice.

Any photos or details would be much appreciated
I've done it a couple of ways, both very similar.

On my XR628, with a 250w BD rewind, I wired in a Fuzeblock FZ-1
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board
It has a built-in relay, which I wired to the d/s kit's 5w running light in the headlight shell. This light comes on when the d/s kit is switched on, so turn on the kit and the fuseblock and accessories, have power.

On the XR650R, which I also installed a Baja Designs 250w rewound stator on (125w AC, 125w DC), I used an Eastern Beaver sealed "3 Circuit Solution".
It's a simple "fuseblock", with 3-fuse Metripack 280 connector and 40a Panasonic relay. The relay is triggered the same way - Positap'd into the 5w running light in the headlight shell.
The sealed kit uses Sumitomo waterproof connectors.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html

I have my GPS and Vapor 12vdc power (for full backlighting) sharing a 2a circuit, Symtec grip heaters on a 5a fused circuit, and there's a spare for aux lighting (like Trailtech self contained HID).

The kit's H4 headlight is on AC power, I've installed an 85w Osram H4 for a combo of good light without the wiring and connector heat a 130/90 would bring.
On the DC side, there's plenty of juice left for a pair of 30w or 40w Trailtech HID's on a bar mount (a spot and a flood)

Battery options:

The d/s kit uses a 10x AA NiCAD battery pack, 0.7a from Baja Designs as a replacement for $39.95
You can source these battery packs at 1.0a for $16.95 (for RC cars)

Other options:
http://www.ballisticparts.com/
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7281
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
I have the same ones for six years now. best $14 buck ever, i got a set for my xr600 later when i got it. now i will get them for my dr200. if you want to spend 150+ on a pegs thats fine, but why sould every one waste their cash? I am no small dude at 260lbs and six years or more, they have hit the ground of hard more than a few times still work good for me tested and proven
^^^ +1 I got the cheapos off flebay and have had about 1,000mi of trail riding and a few desert trips with some good jumping and whoop sections with no complaints. $25 keeps my wallet a lil fatter for something else.
KYLEISCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #7282
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,783
wow

I wish I could find someone in Australia to do this work for me, I have no idea, but would love to be able to run a GPS and my Trail tech Cyclops HID spot light.... that is my one disapointment with my XRR...

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I've done it a couple of ways, both very similar.

On my XR628, with a 250w BD rewind, I wired in a Fuzeblock FZ-1
http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board
It has a built-in relay, which I wired to the d/s kit's 5w running light in the headlight shell. This light comes on when the d/s kit is switched on, so turn on the kit and the fuseblock and accessories, have power.

On the XR650R, which I also installed a Baja Designs 250w rewound stator on (125w AC, 125w DC), I used an Eastern Beaver sealed "3 Circuit Solution".
It's a simple "fuseblock", with 3-fuse Metripack 280 connector and 40a Panasonic relay. The relay is triggered the same way - Positap'd into the 5w running light in the headlight shell.
The sealed kit uses Sumitomo waterproof connectors.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...3_circuit.html

I have my GPS and Vapor 12vdc power (for full backlighting) sharing a 2a circuit, Symtec grip heaters on a 5a fused circuit, and there's a spare for aux lighting (like Trailtech self contained HID).

The kit's H4 headlight is on AC power, I've installed an 85w Osram H4 for a combo of good light without the wiring and connector heat a 130/90 would bring.
On the DC side, there's plenty of juice left for a pair of 30w or 40w Trailtech HID's on a bar mount (a spot and a flood)

Battery options:

The d/s kit uses a 10x AA NiCAD battery pack, 0.7a from Baja Designs as a replacement for $39.95
You can source these battery packs at 1.0a for $16.95 (for RC cars)

Other options:
http://www.ballisticparts.com/
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #7283
SoKal
Rider

Oddometer: 179
small 12v batterys

What batterys do you guys use ?? I am talking about the BD small 12v that fits under the seat. I have tried some other brands and they have failed in less time then the BD ones.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #7284
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
I have this one. No problems yet:

http://www.atbatt.com/product/3538/s...-0-8ah/battery
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #7285
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead View Post
Can you guys give me recommendations on which fork and shock springs I should get?

Bike is a little fat with Dual Sport / street legal / long distance mods. About +40 lbs I figure.

I'm 6'5 and 225, probably add another 20 lbs in rider's gear.

And then the bike will be anywhere from + 0 to 40 lbs for fully loaded...

Definitely curious on your opinions...

thanks,
andre

225 will greatly benefit off new springs. I'm 200 and felt the bike undersprung, and went up a few steps and still think it's undersprung, but I have yet to test it. Why test when I can jump straight into a Baja trip =) What better way to test.

Most people go with Eibach or Racetech springs. Apparently the same spring, same factory, different name. Cost about the same if I recall correctly.

There's a few differing ways of thought on suspension, but I went with Borynack's site suggestions both spring wise, and valving. I settled on the desert set-up for all around riding. I don't plan on jumping my bike other then hill crests, and minor drops. As you may or may not know, our bikes come with complete crap oil, and not so great valving. Huge improvements alone going to good oil.

Here's his webpage:

http://borynack.com/XR650R/

Keep in mind he talked about taking the site down for a re-work, so I suggest you back it up if you can just so the info doesn't go missing.

Key points he makes:

1) He doesn't suggest going with Racetech's or other suspension manufactures recommendation on spring rates
2) He runs thin oil because the viscosity doesn't change as much with temperature, making it easier to fine tune. (2.5-3W)

Many people has used his settings with generally great sucess. I'm so stoked to test my bike out, even if I will have 40-50lbs of gear on my bike. I thought it was HORRID before with the stock oil and valving. It was scary riding down rough gravel roads, let alone the gnarly riding we have around here.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:07 PM   #7286
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Under Seat Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post

I assume this will fit under your seat? Looks like a good solution.

Chris
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #7287
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoKal View Post
What batterys do you guys use ?? I am talking about the BD small 12v that fits under the seat. I have tried some other brands and they have failed in less time then the BD ones.
I'm using a $12 alarm battery (12V 1.3AH SLA) off fleabay, it's held up fine since the mid summer '09, about 5K mi, I figure it's paid for itseld already.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #7288
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
I assume this will fit under your seat? Looks like a good solution.

Chris
Mine is actually behind the headlight shroud. But it's about the same size as a pack of cigarettes, if that helps.

I'm sure I could put it under the seat if I wanted to.....

Length 3.78 inch / 9.60 cm
Width 0.98 inch / 2.49 cm
Height 2.44 inch / 6.20 cm
Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #7289
SoKal
Rider

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Mine is actually behind the headlight shroud. But it's about the same size as a pack of cigarettes, if that helps.

I'm sure I could put it under the seat if I wanted to.....

Length3.78 inch / 9.60 cm
Width0.98 inch / 2.49 cm
Height2.44 inch / 6.20 cm
That one looks good I will check the size and see if it will fit in the same hole that my BD battery fits
Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #7290
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Power-Sonic fits well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoKal View Post
That one looks good I will check the size and see if it will fit in the same hole that my BD battery fits
Sweet - I have room under my seat for this size. I am replacing my B/D NiCad pack with this 12V unit. For $18 it's worth a go, and no memory issues.Power-Sonic 12V/.8AH Sealed Lead Acid Battery w/ WL Terminal for Genesis 12V 0.8Ah Battery

2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote