Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #7291
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
I actually bought mine at Batteries Plus. The bike came with one, but it was toast (different brand, same size) and I bought a replacement. I forget the price though.........
Old 02-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #7292
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 700
Just noticed this is a bad time to sell/good time to buy an XRR...4 or 5 in the fleamarket right now.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #7293
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 247
do'n crank

Anyone ever hav to replace the crank in ther XR650R, I've bought one that the rod is locked on the crank journal and I'm just curious what its gonna take to tear into it then replace the rod and crank ?

Thanx in advance.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #7294
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
edit: wrong thread.
epix1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #7295
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Since I'm whoring it up a bit. Figured I'd post it here too!

It's finally done!

Baja bound next Monday!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #7296
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,358
That's done? What all do you have going on up there in that dash area?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #7297
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

BURNING OIL on fwy

So I've heard that it's normal/common for these bikes to burn some oil when running them at freeway speeds for extended periods of time - wondering why, and if there's anything I can do about that. Got a pretty fresh engine, stock except for carb and exhaust, and I'm riding 75-150 miles at 60-80mph at a time. Street wheelset is geared for it (16/46), so I'm not revving the piss out of it. But it's consuming enough oil that I'm a little bit concerned about it.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #7298
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
That's done? What all do you have going on up there in that dash area?

It's not permanent but will be kept that way for the trip. It was a test config that's going to remain.

12v marine plug, HID ballasts for headlight, heated grips, relay for headlight, and everything else. I did the dual sport kit myself. Stuff is both zip tied and held in place by sticky sided velcro.

Elastic bands will be used for tools later, and serve as a reminder that my air filter is in a zip lock bag inside the airbox and not to start it. Petcock also has duct tape on it to serve the same purpose.

Only one way for engines to burn oil. It's getting past your piston rings. Either you rings/piston are wearing, or it's normal consumption with minor film along the cylinder walls getting past the rings.

Although these engines are designed for desert racing, they are race engines. They aren't made for continuous highway commutes. They can handle it because of a well designed engine, but it's not designed to last 80,000 K without problems. We're just lucky they stand up to this abuse.

Shibby! screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 05:00 PM
Old 02-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #7299
pixelcodex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
It's not permanent but will be kept that way for the trip. It was a test config that's going to remain.

12v marine plug, HID ballasts for headlight, heated grips, and everything else. I did the dual sport kit myself. Stuff is both zip tied and held in place by sticky sided velcro.

Elastic bands will be used for tools later, and serve as a reminder that my air filter is in a zip lock bag inside the airbox and not to start it. Petcock also has duct tape on it to serve the same purpose.

Only one way for engines to burn oil. It's getting past your piston rings. Either you rings/piston are wearing, or it's normal consumption with minor film along the cylinder walls getting past the rings.

Although these engines are designed for desert racing, they are race engines. They aren't made for continuous highway commutes. They can handle it because of a well designed engine, but it's not designed to last 80,000 K without problems. We're just lucky they stand up to this abuse.

Is that a great basin or coyote bag? Seems big on the XRR.
pixelcodex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #7300
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post

Really? Nothing else could account for that? Hmmm, guess a leakdown test would tell me what kind of condition my rings are in, right? What kind of results should I expect/hope for?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #7301
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish4ku View Post
Wanting to tap anyone who has added any aux power to their XR. I have a small AA battery pack under the seat that recharges via the system, but it's not 12V. Runs my GPS off a 12V cig lighter adapter.

Wondering if there is a kit, or a better more professional way to have some battery juice.

Any photos or details would be much appreciated

Since you seem to be looking for options, here is my approach. Some may consider it extreme but so far it has worked quite well...

I installed a YTZ14SBS-AGM battery in a custom box mounted to the front of the skid plate....

I used this battery to replace the whimpy battery that was speced with the Baja Designs electric start kit....

This is charged with a Ricky Stator 200+ watt full DC system.

I use this to power ..
- heated grips - switch on panel
- GPS - connect with double bullet connector
- electric tire pump as required - normal auto socket
- Aux LED lights - switch on panel

Here is the panel...

And the LED aux lights...

So, it just depends on how far you want to go...

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #7302
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
I installed a YTZ14SBS-AGM battery in a custom box mounted to the front of the skid plate....

I used this battery to replace the whimpy battery that was speced with the Baja Designs electric start kit....
Damn, that battery mount looks like it's begging to be destroyed.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #7303
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Really? Nothing else could account for that? Hmmm, guess a leakdown test would tell me what kind of condition my rings are in, right? What kind of results should I expect/hope for?
Actually there are 2 paths to oil consumption:
- Piston rings as noted
- valve seals

Yes, a leak down test can differentiate between the the 2 possible causes.

Measure your compression using a compression tester (Harbor Freight?). You should see at least 70 - 80 psi kicking it. Pull the tester from the spark plug hole, squirt in some motor oil, spin the crank a fer times to distribute it, reinstall the tester. If the pressure goes up, the rings are leaking. The oil temporarily seals the rings.

Part of the reason with race type engines using more oil is the piston configuration. To keep performance up, they need minimum friction. To get this they use short skirted pistons with thin rings. A certion amount of oil blow by is desireable to lube the cylinder wall & decrease fiction further.

Unfortunately, this is not so desirable for sustained hyway operation or long term engine life. Contradictory demands.

All that said, the XR does an amazing job of bridging the two worlds. And oil is cheap! Put a sight tube on the bike, watch it, keep it full & RIDE!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #7304
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Thanks, that's helpful.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #7305
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelcodex View Post
Is that a great basin or coyote bag? Seems big on the XRR.
Coyote bag.

It is quite large. I had to put my MSR tent and shoes in the dry bag though.

I wish I could pack lighter, but I can't leave the camping gear at home. I'm not one for sleeping in my riding gear under the stars.