Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #7336
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo View Post
I wish I could find someone in Australia to do this work for me, I have no idea, but would love to be able to run a GPS and my Trail tech Cyclops HID spot light.... that is my one disapointment with my XRR...

Joe
There is a mob in Australia Joe,
He does all the Rallye bikes, GHR 650R's etc.

He did my bike,
200 watt stator, you can get 140 watt stator, 100 watt headlight,
run GPS, install battery's HID's etc

Google Bettabikes, there in South Aussie
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:36 AM   #7337
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,078
I believe that any engine could be considered a race engine if it is in something that you race
Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 AM   #7338
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr400r View Post
I believe that any engine could be considered a race engine if it is in something that you race
Thats the way I see it also. What bike made ever had an engine for commuting? A BMW 650 Dakar? Hell that still has been raced a bit.

In offroad situations the engine doesn't make a race bike, suspension and handling do. Plus the XRR was designed for a race that demanded a rediculous amount of give in terms of durability.

Just because you don't need to work on it all the time doesn't mean its not high performance. It just seems that way when compared to the 450 motocross bikes that are beating themselves to death trying to match performance with a two storke.

I told myself not to get involved in this and here I go..

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #7339
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
I told myself not to get involved in this and here I go..

And to that I agree. Looks like I started something rediculous that won't stop..

So.. Does everybody here think the DRZ/DR/XR/F650, etc engines are equally as reliable, or more-so then then the XRR? Aside from any known issues that were design faults.

IMO, when performance is pushed from an engine (more HP, more torque, and engine characteristic), then it becomes a performance/race engine. With performance comes reliability issues. It may not be linear, but there are things given up when starting to push the envelope.

Sure the 450's are putting out more performance/displacement at a reduced service and reliablity limit, but at the same time they are newer technology, and designed for MX, or at least based off MX engines. These engines were originally designed to compete with 2-strokes. High RPM, high powered bikes at minimal weight. They want big power up top, and in between it's not so important.

IMO, real life requires a broad powerband. Power throughout the RPM range is ideal. I believe thats what they had in mind with the XRR. Why have WOT power when you could sacrifice the top end power slightly but have a more thorough power delivery throughout the rev range.

I'm sure we'll see lots of different opinions, but I'm sure there are good arguements on both sides. I just don't think Honda has a lazy mill on it's mind when designing and building the XRR. They wanted a competitive baseline to produce their race bikes. We have to keep in mind this was done in the later 90's as opposed to the 450's which are being deleloped every year to push the envelope.

At the end of the day, Honda still recommends a 600km?/mile? service. That's not great by any means. It may not need it, but 450's don't need the 10hr oil change either in some people's minds. Sure their top ends wear out, but also, not requiring the rebuilds as often as they state either.

Lets hear the arguements
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #7340
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,220
I have a real stupid tire question. I've been reading this thread and my eyes are about crossed.

What tires and sizes are you guys running? I was going to run the Dunlop 606's, but now I'm not finding the proper size. The closest size I found is a 120/90-18. Is that the one that works, and still lets you gear the bike how you want? Thanks for any and all help.
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #7341
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a real stupid tire question. I've been reading this thread and my eyes are about crossed.

What tires and sizes are you guys running? I was going to run the Dunlop 606's, but now I'm not finding the proper size. The closest size I found is a 120/90-18. Is that the one that works, and still lets you gear the bike how you want? Thanks for any and all help.
The D606 doesn't come in many sizes....but yes, the 18" rear you mention works well. I've run a number of those on my XR600's and 628.
IMO the D908RR is too big for this bike, but many probably use it and like it.

I needed my bike inspected for compliance before getting it plated, so I needed DOT tires....and found a great price on the Bridgestone Gritty ED03/ED04. The rear, for it's nominal size - looks small, but it works quite well so far. It hasn't been anywhere near the variety of terrain the D606's have seen yet - it is winter in Colorado after all

I liked the Maxxis Desert on the XR628, which spent 95% of it's time offroad. I will probably go back to the Maxxis before my next Baja trip.

As far as DOT tires go though, the D606 is probably my favorite....and that could be because I find them cheap often enough that I haven't tried the MT21 yet
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #7342
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 297
D606 and D908

I stick with these on my plated bikes, in case I get checked.
130/90 rear D606 on my XRR
140/80 rear D908 on my 950adv
90/90frts on both, mounted backwards hoping to limit cupping

FWIW.
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #7343
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I ran V2R and did ~1200 miles in baja on a 120 606 - worked just fine. It does allow you to run the axle all the way forward in the swinger without issue. A 130 may as well, I'm not sure.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #7344
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:

The 606's are a good DOT tire.I found them to vib and make alot of road noise.And the fronts tend to fold in the dirt turns when pushed,like everyother DOT knobbie.
I went to the Michelin T-63 rear,130/80-18,and there S rated on the pavement,and a DOT copy of there desert tire.Alot cheaper priced then the 606's,but in my opinon a better all around tire.I got 3400 miles out of the last one.
On the front i found the Michelin AC-10 100/90-21fit the bill!Great side knobbs,really stick in the dirt turns,and out lasts the MT-21's.
That set up cost me $110 shipped to my door,and i can get just about the whole season out of the pair.I do have other bikes to fill the gap.
That set up works great where i ride,,Northeast single track,the three R's,rocks,ruts and roots,lots of fire roads,and back mtn twistie pavement.I'm sure depending on your area of ride'n,it might have different results.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #7345
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
The 606's are a good DOT tire.I found them to vib and make alot of road noise.And the fronts tend to fold in the dirt turns when pushed,like everyother DOT knobbie.
I went to the Michelin T-63 rear,130/80-18,and there S rated on the pavement,and a DOT copy of there desert tire.Alot cheaper priced then the 606's,but in my opinon a better all around tire.I got 3400 miles out of the last one.
On the front i found the Michelin AC-10 100/90-21fit the bill!Great side knobbs,really stick in the dirt turns,and out lasts the MT-21's.
That set up cost me $110 shipped to my door,and i can get just about the whole season out of the pair.I do have other bikes to fill the gap.
That set up works great where i ride,,Northeast single track,the three R's,rocks,ruts and roots,lots of fire roads,and back mtn twistie pavement.I'm sure depending on your area of ride'n,it might have different results.

I might go that route then. I'm more worried about having to change a tire every couple hundred miles than actually having a DOT tire. I figured most if not all offroad only tires would wear out much quicker. By the time it warms up and I can actually ride the bike around I'll probably find myself riding on the road a lot more than I think I will, but I'm still concerened with dirt performance mostly.

*edit* - Looking at pictures of the tires you mentioned it seems like the 606's would work a lot better in the dirt. Maybe I'm wrong?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #7346
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Quote:
I'm still concerened with dirt performance mostly.

Maxxis Desert IT rear, Dunlop MX51 front.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #7347
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,688
I have had good luck with the Maxxis Desert IT on the back. It wears pretty well on the street and hooks up well in the dirt. Right now I have a used Metzler Six Days Extreme on the rear because I got it and seven other D606's for $40, (all used). When I use them all up, I'll go back to the Maxxis.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #7348
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
I might go that route then. I'm more worried about having to change a tire every couple hundred miles than actually having a DOT tire. I figured most if not all offroad only tires would wear out much quicker. By the time it warms up and I can actually ride the bike around I'll probably find myself riding on the road a lot more than I think I will, but I'm still concerened with dirt performance mostly.

*edit* - Looking at pictures of the tires you mentioned it seems like the 606's would work a lot better in the dirt. Maybe I'm wrong?

What kind of terrain are you ride'n??

I rode 400 miles of the Hatfield&McCoy trails with a set of Michelin T-63's on a DRZ,include'n all the single track,trials trails.
I ride 80% dirt on my DS bikes with T-63's.I find in the muddy stuff they clean off quicker then the 606's.And get just as much if not better dig everywhere.DOT front knobbies in my opinon are at best alright.And thats 606,T-63,etc.I perfer to go with a more agressive DOT front,basicly a dirt tire with DOT stamped on it.I get the same wear front and rear,because the rears take alot more abuse then a front.
What are you ride'n??
The T-63 is a DOT copy of the Michelin Desert racer,which is one of the best off road tires made.Alot of pro's run them in places like,Dakar,Baja 500/1000,Romaniac's,etc.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #7349
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
At the end of the day, Honda still recommends a 600km?/mile? service. That's not great by any means. It may not need it, but 450's don't need the 10hr oil change either in some people's minds. Sure their top ends wear out, but also, not requiring the rebuilds as often as they state either.
10hr oil change?! My CRF450 manual says to change the piston every 15hrs!?! Do I? No, but I wouldn't ride it on the street either.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #7350
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
What kind of terrain are you ride'n??

I rode 400 miles of the Hatfield&McCoy trails with a set of Michelin T-63's on a DRZ,include'n all the single track,trials trails.
I ride 80% dirt on my DS bikes with T-63's.I find in the muddy stuff they clean off quicker then the 606's.And get just as much if not better dig everywhere.DOT front knobbies in my opinon are at best alright.And thats 606,T-63,etc.I perfer to go with a more agressive DOT front,basicly a dirt tire with DOT stamped on it.I get the same wear front and rear,because the rears take alot more abuse then a front.
What are you ride'n??
The T-63 is a DOT copy of the Michelin Desert racer,which is one of the best off road tires made.Alot of pro's run them in places like,Dakar,Baja 500/1000,Romaniac's,etc.
Terrain wise, it's pretty much all nasty. The area I normally ride (wellsville, Ohio) is all rutted up, hardpacked rocky dirt that has been worn down and torn up by trucks, ATV's, and dune buggies. There are normally deep puddles and mud ruts in the trails with anything from the thick goopy mud to the slick stuff that feels like ice. Basically about the worst conditions you can think up for a dirt bike. I'm on an XR650R.

Bad street performance I can deal with, as long as the tire doesn't explode or wear out after a good weekend I'm happy.

Thanks for all the advise so far, this site is a lot more helpful to noobies than a few other I've been on.