Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #7351
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I am also curious about the 16T sprocket - any issues with fitment and is there a case saver available that fits?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
No fitment issues, except I had to clearance a 15T XR's Only case saver.
Here's a pic. Depending on the type of riding and whether I'm running my dirt or street wheels, I run a 14/15/16T front sprocket and a 46/48T rear sprocket. Gives me a really wide selection of gear ratios that all work with the stock length chain.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #7352
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Terrain wise, it's pretty much all nasty. The area I normally ride (wellsville, Ohio) is all rutted up, hardpacked rocky dirt that has been worn down and torn up by trucks, ATV's, and dune buggies. There are normally deep puddles and mud ruts in the trails with anything from the thick goopy mud to the slick stuff that feels like ice. Basically about the worst conditions you can think up for a dirt bike. I'm on an XR650R.

Bad street performance I can deal with, as long as the tire doesn't explode or wear out after a good weekend I'm happy.

Thanks for all the advise so far, this site is a lot more helpful to noobies than a few other I've been on.
This site really is a good one. Once you know how to use it and start recognizing people you will love it. Actually its more of an addiction

The problem with conditions like that is the kind of tyre it takes to excell at anything slick off road is about as far as you can get for onroad life expectancy; most likely due to the soft rubber and different chemical compounds. For dry terrain that is more of a hard pack ive found most dualsport tyres work great which makes sense but for nything sloppy your tyres should be atleast some sort of intermediate terrain kind of design. Any of the dualsport tyres that are made to last (not all are, some are just rated for legality's sake) will not work well in slop once the edge has been worn off.

I like intermediate rated tyres for a good mix of terrain especially the M12 mainly because it works really well in the rocks (no chunking) but it also works pretty well in the slop. If you start looking for soft-intermediate tyres look at the tread design and ask yourself if you think it will hold up to road then go read some reviews.

If you need a DOT tyre the Kenda trackmaster II is pretty hard to beat for loos(er) terrain. But ive really started to like the M12's and if I really needed a tyre for slop I would get an S12, ive never had one on the XRR but I was impressed with them on my buddies bike. Though his front did chunk in the rocks.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #7353
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
This site really is a good one. Once you know how to use it and start recognizing people you will love it. Actually its more of an addiction

The problem with conditions like that is the kind of tyre it takes to excell at anything slick off road is about as far as you can get for onroad life expectancy; most likely due to the soft rubber and different chemical compounds. For dry terrain that is more of a hard pack ive found most dualsport tyres work great which makes sense but for nything sloppy your tyres should be atleast some sort of intermediate terrain kind of design. Any of the dualsport tyres that are made to last (not all are, some are just rated for legality's sake) will not work well in slop once the edge has been worn off.

I like intermediate rated tyres for a good mix of terrain especially the M12 mainly because it works really well in the rocks (no chunking) but it also works pretty well in the slop. If you start looking for soft-intermediate tyres look at the tread design and ask yourself if you think it will hold up to road then go read some reviews.

If you need a DOT tyre the Kenda trackmaster II is pretty hard to beat for loos(er) terrain. But ive really started to like the M12's and if I really needed a tyre for slop I would get an S12, ive never had one on the XRR but I was impressed with them on my buddies bike. Though his front did chunk in the rocks.

Thanks, now you got me looking at even more tires wondering what to get. My mind was made up this morning.

I think it's a toss up between the T63 and the D606 rear and between the D606 and AC-10 front now. Or the Kenda trackmaster II's front and rear. I might just get the Kenda's, they seem to be the cheapest at least. If the terrain is real bad and I still want to ride I can always haul my 450R out, it doesn't do bad in the woods once you get used to the motocross suspension.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #7354
header
Chris

I know the feeling

The Kenda is a good cheap tyre that plain works in a large amount of situations for what it is. For the record I only get a little less miles for the Kenda than I do with a 606.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #7355
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Had to take some sheetmetal parts down to a local fab shop so I could use their press-brake. Normally use my pickup to haul parts, but that's what I was working on...

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #7356
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I use Maxxis Desert. Work good for a inexpensive tires. Decent on the road to.

How many fellow XRR riders use the the back fire screen on the air box?
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #7357
header
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
I don't but the last time I cleaned my filter I couldn't get a lot of the dirt off the back even after really working it...then I realized it was burnt parts of the filter

Though I still don't use the backfire screen..

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #7358
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
I use Maxxis Desert. Work good for a inexpensive tires. Decent on the road to.

The PO tossed the stocker so I added the XRs only BF screen, seems to work fine, not sure if it flows better than the stocker though.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #7359
Seattles_Finest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23

Howdy BRP folks!

Seems I'm after somewhat of a unicorn, so I figure a post here wouldn't hurt either.

Looking for a plated Xr650r in WA.. (If not might have to make a "home built" bike from the frame up... really would prefer not to have to do that..)

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Seattles_Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #7360
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattles_Finest View Post

Howdy BRP folks!

Seems I'm after somewhat of a unicorn, so I figure a post here wouldn't hurt either.

Looking for a plated Xr650r in WA.. (If not might have to make a "home built" bike from the frame up... really would prefer not to have to do that..)

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
How strict is WA when it comes to importing a plated/street titled XRR from out of state? This may be an option. I bought mine in MO already plated and it was no problem at all when it came to tagging it here in OK, (though OK is pretty lax on tagging OHV for street use anyway.)

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM   #7361
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,640
Quote:
The latest genetic mutation...Sumosapien-steelfinus!

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #7362
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Honest question, and I think it's as relevant as anything else that's been discussed in this thread. There are many accounts of 650R's going 20,000+ miles without any major service/overhauls. Whether you call it a race engine or not, seems to have proven itself to be pretty darn reliable. No big deal if I have to live with it burning a little bit of oil, but would rather address it if it's anything I can fix.

Mine had 34 000 km on the odometer when I got it...(the cable was disconected :P...God knows how many in reality ). I did a minimum of 25 000 km since 2008...I changed cables, the clutch bushing, bearings...Never did any work on the engine, excepting tappet clearences. Starting's a bit fuzzy, eats oil...maybe a rebuild next winter with a big bore kit if the cylinder is busted...if not, just a piston kit and other necesary work.

Regards,
Alex
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #7363
Seattles_Finest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
How strict is WA when it comes to importing a plated/street titled XRR from out of state? This may be an option. I bought mine in MO already plated and it was no problem at all when it came to tagging it here in OK, (though OK is pretty lax on tagging OHV for street use anyway.)

-Joe
I think IF it comes in with a plate I can keep it, but not looking to have to go on too epic of a trek for the bike itself... I'll be doing quite a bit of modification to the stock platform when all is said and done.. gonna be a good one :)

Thanks

-Mike
Seattles_Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #7364
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,948
looks like some stegosaurus riding a BRP.

Quote:
Had to take some sheetmetal parts down to a local fab shop so I could use their press-brake. Normally use my pickup to haul parts, but that's what I was working on...

Old 02-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #7365
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Howdy Mike,

I'd keep your eye on the Portland/Salem Craigslist, too. My brother's in Tacoma area and he just brought one in from out of state last summer. I was with him at the DMV and it took him about 5 minutes to get his plates and have a WA title in the mail. WA is as tough as CA for trying to get an un-plated one plated. From what he discovered, if plated in WA, it needs to have been done prior to July, 2003.
Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattles_Finest View Post

Howdy BRP folks!

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote