Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #7666
backdoc
bone cracker

Oddometer: 93
Well. I was finally able to take out the BRP on a decent test ride after the rebuild. Took a 50ish mile ride around Galveston, on road and off road. The only two problems were a shifter lever that had to be adjusted to get my boots unerneath it, and i lost one bolt off of the heat shield on the exhaust. All in all, not to bad of a shake down ride. I was the only XRR out of four bikes. The other ones were XRL's. The best part is, mine ate their lunches on a straight up drag race from stand still to top end. They just couldn't believe it..
As for my two cents on the fork seals vs. stock protectors...... I have run the Daystar 69's on multiple bikes without fail. They seem to hold up pretty good and have never torn one.
I must admit, i have a pretty damn good girlfriend. She bought me an FMF Q4 for my birthday last friday, so i was able to get that installed sunday. WOOHOO

me and the pig at the beach, in 45 degree weather and 40 mile an hour winds.

Pre-FMF pic

My brothers XR650L

I must admit, the rebuild was worth the wait. The Edelbrock carb gets the pig started quickly 95% of the time with first or second kick. On occasion. it takes 3. The Braking rotors front and rear do a great job on and off road. the next step is to get the rear shock redone/resprung and change oil in the front shocks.
I'm on the same page as Coastie on this one>>>>>
How do u change the front shock oil. I know the lighter weight and 130mm, but how the heck do you actually do it??? any info from the collective would help.
1984 XR500R (sold)
1986 TRX70 Fourtrax (sons)
backdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #7667
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
5hortbus

Removal of choke plate. I would imagine Chicago is kind of cool right now. Without a choke plate in your carb you will struggle on a cold start.Put a solid choke plate[Precision Concepts] back in there and it will start much better.Stock choke plates eventually lunch your motor.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:45 AM   #7668
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 946
Been a while!

Hey ya'll its been a while...

Looking for some Street tips.

have a second set of rims and I want some street tires, Not looking to pay for the cost of Avon Distanzias more like Shinko prices, (http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-rea...a636780a328a14) I have a buddy that has the 705s and recommends them...but was curious if anyone has any more Street oriented recommendations for a budget?

Sprocket: I also want a 42T sprocket. Most online places don't list one for our bikes but I know the UK or Aus version comes with it. has anyone bought one and know a source or model?

Thanks in advance ya'll.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #7669
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking View Post
Sprocket: I also want a 42T sprocket. Most online places don't list one for our bikes but I know the UK or Aus version comes with it. has anyone bought one and know a source or model?

Thanks in advance ya'll.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/se.../Detail?no=185

Best sprockets made.

Edit: That link looks sketchy, it's ok. Here is their main sprocket page: http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #7670
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Removal of choke plate. I would imagine Chicago is kind of cool right now. Without a choke plate in your carb you will struggle on a cold start.Put a solid choke plate[Precision Concepts] back in there and it will start much better.Stock choke plates eventually lunch your motor.
Baja Designs makes a good choke plate, never heard of Precision Concepts version.

It's not a sure thing that the stocker is going to let go and get sucked in....but $25 is cheap insurance for a billet plate.

I've never had any signs of the stock flapper coming apart, but it's easy to put your mind to rest about it.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:34 AM   #7671
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Bonebag, do you have an FCR? The stock XR650R carb doesn't have a hot start button or lever. Maybe you mean the decompression lever?

Have you tried kicking it over with the throttle WOT without all the clearing kicks and stuff? That works perfectly on my dad's XR and gets things going much more quickly.
Yeah..decompression/hot start :) ...that's what I'm talking about.

And yes..and I almost broke my knee in seven places when it fired half way down the kick...and still didn't start. It works for me to just give it a few clearing kicks..every time. Now I am 6'4 and 250lbs..I know that makes a difference for some guys who aren't able to easily wrestle the pig around.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #7672
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Fcr41 setup

Hey guys,
I'm contemplating taking the new fcr 41 off my 620rxc and installing it on my xr650r. Then putting the eddy on the 620?
Does anybody have the jets sizes and needle specs and all the other little settings for this carb for this application?
Will this actually fit before I disassemble to bikes
The eddy does it's job well, but it's not perfect!
It goes great on long d/s rides w/ elevation changes and run well!
I'm just looking to get the performance that an FCR, set up properly, can deliver to the big pig!
I currently have a stage one cam, full leovince, cdi box from xr400, opened up airbox cover! I have the acerbis 6.3 sahara tank also!
Does the tank need to be heat molded to accept the fcr???
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #7673
5hortbus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Choke Plate Flap gizmo

Thanks Mung:

Someone said: "since you're never gonna take it off anyway, you'd better red loc-tite that choke plate!"

DAMN DAMN DOUBLE DAMN!

I guess I never thought they may live in warmer climes than myself. Why do people like me buy the King of the Baja for the Midwest anyway? And then, we blindly follow all the tricks the cool kids who ride in the desert use on their bikes.

Any thoughts on the throttle stop?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #7674
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
I have the acerbis 6.3 sahara tank also!
Does the tank need to be heat molded to accept the fcr???
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!

From what I've read, the tank might not fit at all with the FCR. Give it a try since you have a carb sitting there...let us know how it goes, I'd love to have an FCR on the XRR.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #7675
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 629
Fcr41 setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
From what I've read, the tank might not fit at all with the FCR. Give it a try since you have a carb sitting there...let us know how it goes, I'd love to have an FCR on the XRR.
Larryboy,

That's why I'm questioning the incredible knowledge of the XR650R ADV riders to see if it will fit. I'm not lazy, well yes I am, but I'm just trying to ask the question beforehand, as I really don't want to tear apart both bikes to find out it won't even fit!

If it does I will post up all the info on how it goes together, what's needed in mod's, jet sizes, needles, clips and other b/s associated w/ the install to get it correct. I'll post up about he performance also!

I've read report of the fcr on a few bikes and really would love to explore this option!
Just like you I'm very interested

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #7676
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzky View Post
How are you liking your new gas tank? Can you get the reb bull decal for it?
The Acerbis is a great tank - but I don't think any graphics will stick to that rough surface for long, and that's ok.

....and you mean "Big Red Pig" graphics - they do resemble the Red Bull stuff, and I like 'em, but they're probably not going to work on this tank.

The PO did give me the full graphics .jpg in high resolution, so I can have them printed (find a decal plotter - and I do know a guy...)

More than likely, I will sell the Clarke 4.3 with the BRP graphics, I like the Acerbis tank a lot, it's not in the way and I do NOT want to switch back and forth much!

What do you suppose the 4.3 tank/shrouds with graphics is worth?

Old 03-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #7677
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag View Post
Yeah..decompression/hot start :) ...that's what I'm talking about.

And yes..and I almost broke my knee in seven places when it fired half way down the kick...and still didn't start. It works for me to just give it a few clearing kicks..every time. Now I am 6'4 and 250lbs..I know that makes a difference for some guys who aren't able to easily wrestle the pig around.
Sounds good. I'm 160lbs and have no troubles with the pig (or starting by either method). I don't have the patietence to do clearing kicks and stuff - fortunately I have an eddy so mine is a 1-kick starter no matter what. I only think about it when I ride my dad's with the stock carb. I have been impressed with how well the stocker starts though - not half as bad as I expected after reading this thread. WOT and 1 or 2 kicks does the trick for me after a spill. The eddy is quicker starting still and a whole lot snappier for response.

FYI a hot start lever and decompression lever look similar on the bar, but do completely different things (hot start levers basically let more air in, a decompression lever holds a valve open slightly) so for posterity its useful to distinguish them.

Sorry about your leg.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #7678
stinkfinger
Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

$40
"BANG"
Sold
I'll pm you my address.

Tony
stinkfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #7679
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
$40
"BANG"
Sold
I'll pm you my address.

Tony
Old 03-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #7680
Frankko
Midnight Rambler

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The Acerbis is a great tank - but I don't think any graphics will stick to that rough surface for long, and that's ok.

....and you mean "Big Red Pig" graphics - they do resemble the Red Bull stuff, and I like 'em, but they're probably not going to work on this tank.

The PO did give me the full graphics .jpg in high resolution, so I can have them printed (find a decal plotter - and I do know a guy...)

More than likely, I will sell the Clarke 4.3 with the BRP graphics, I like the Acerbis tank a lot, it's not in the way and I do NOT want to switch back and forth much!

That is what I meant uhh PIg not bull

As for how much is worth I was thinking 4k and throw in the bike as freebie...

Just cant get her outta my head.....