Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 AM   #8701
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,187
With careful carb tuning, you can get pretty good mileage, even when making good time. I was getting 50-mpg on the KOTW as long as traction was available and I could keep it in higher gears. My mileage went down to 35-ish during sections of sand. The bike didn't overheat and could still pull wheelies.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #8702
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I wonder if the higher test fuels have better additives for this type of thing?

You might be onto something? I use the "cheap" stuff in my XRR, used to use the best I could find for my old Husky with the almost 13:1 compression ratio and that bike would sit 6 months between use and never varnish.

Sean-O, our premium is only 91...I know where to get 100 octane, but it's something like $8 per gallon.

AKASY, I run hard enough with the XRR to get down to 33 mpg or so too. The TAT is wide open terrain and you can be smooth/fast to keep the mpg's up. I would just top off the 6.3 every chance I got, seems like I was using about 4 gallons per segment.

Make sure you find the broken windmill after Battle Mtn and ride the silt beds...don't cheat and take the newer road around this part, I wanna hear from somebody else that rides this section.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #8703
tarzan30
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I have a slight floating idle that calms it self in 2-3 seconds at a stop with the EDDY but i think that is pretty normal.

As for the leaking fuel that really should not be happening i can have my bike on its side an it wont leak and will still run. I am no expert but it sounds like float issues or air making its way in there threw some gasket or something. I have had not one issue so i have no internal knowledge of the eddy.

Mine works great. I hope you get yours fixed up soon i know how much of a PITA it is when carb issues are happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanster View Post
I recently pulled apart my Edelbrock carb on my 650R, cleaned it well, and replaced the needle and seat, and the accelerator pump plunger. I was having trouble with bad hesitation between shifts, and inconsistent idle/randomly dying when idling too low, and hard starting. I had posted this in here a couple weeks ago.

Well, when I replaced these items, The hard starting dissappeared, and the idle seems consistent now. But I still have zero throttle response, even the tiniest throttle input the bike bogs and hesitates really bad, load or no load, and the hesitation/stumbling between shifts is still there. Today, when I was just cruising steady in any gear, low RPM, steady throttle, the bike would start cutting out and surging. I noticed it didn't do this in the higher RPMs under medium to heavy acceleration.

The carb also pisses fuel now when the bike is sitting leaned on the kickstand, but doesn't seem to when the bike is completely vertical and not when it is running. Anyone have any experience with these issues and the Edelbrock?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #8704
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanster View Post
I recently pulled apart my Edelbrock carb on my 650R, cleaned it well, and replaced the needle and seat, and the accelerator pump plunger. I was having trouble with bad hesitation between shifts, and inconsistent idle/randomly dying when idling too low, and hard starting. I had posted this in here a couple weeks ago.

Well, when I replaced these items, The hard starting dissappeared, and the idle seems consistent now. But I still have zero throttle response, even the tiniest throttle input the bike bogs and hesitates really bad, load or no load, and the hesitation/stumbling between shifts is still there. Today, when I was just cruising steady in any gear, low RPM, steady throttle, the bike would start cutting out and surging. I noticed it didn't do this in the higher RPMs under medium to heavy acceleration.

The carb also pisses fuel now when the bike is sitting leaned on the kickstand, but doesn't seem to when the bike is completely vertical and not when it is running. Anyone have any experience with these issues and the Edelbrock?
Few questions - no air leaks on the intake manifold? Float level set correctly? The needle and seat replacement - guessing you are talking about the check valve on the fuel intake? It sticks real easy, even after cleaning, I occasionally have to tap the bowl to jar it loose when starting in cold weather. Not sure what elevation you are running, but guessing you have the 19e needle, about 10-15 clicks out from full rich on the adjusting screw, and about 1.5 turn out on the A/P screw?
Just trying to eliminate the obvious.
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #8705
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Windmill....

Larryboy--will mark it on the GPS and try to take that "shortcut" sometimes when riding solo I kind of miss turns

Looks like to me you need one of those "dteering sampeners" heck you could have probably flown across that section at 60mph!

Opps sorry
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #8706
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Looks like to me you need one of those "dteering sampeners" heck you could have probably flown across that section at 60mph!

That's what everybody says, I wanna see somebody else actually try it. I've done it on the 610 and the XRR and that's as fast as I care to drop into foot deep holes that look flat.

I'm outta here, gonna go wobble my way thru the woods for a few days...

Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #8707
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Hampener's set to stun:

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #8708
lemanster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent2 View Post
Few questions - no air leaks on the intake manifold? Float level set correctly? The needle and seat replacement - guessing you are talking about the check valve on the fuel intake? It sticks real easy, even after cleaning, I occasionally have to tap the bowl to jar it loose when starting in cold weather. Not sure what elevation you are running, but guessing you have the 19e needle, about 10-15 clicks out from full rich on the adjusting screw, and about 1.5 turn out on the A/P screw?
Just trying to eliminate the obvious.
I was able to figure out the problem with the hesitation/stumble last night, just before giving up on it. When I pulled the carb entirely apart, I didn't put the pump shot adjustment screw (the one on the bowl of the carb next to the exhaust header, also known as the pump bypass screw) back to the right setting. It was turned all the way in, giving way too much fuel off idle causing it to bog. I turned the screw out until the bog went away, and it seems to run pretty good now. Rode it about 25 miles with no sign of any issues.

It still leaks a bit of fuel out of the small tube at the bottom of the float bowl when leaned on the kickstand though. I suspect this is the float height setting. I did not adjust this when I had the carb apart.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #8709
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 247
crank problems ?

I was curious about XR650R's and what seems to be a problem with the crank lock'n up, I bought one a good while back that had the crank & connect'n rod locked up, & when thers a bike be'n parted out it seems a good bit of the time the motor has locked up and the crank is toast.

Is it just my luck or is this a common issue with the XRR ?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #8710
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
I was curious about XR650R's and what seems to be a problem with the crank lock'n up, I bought one a good while back that had the crank & connect'n rod locked up, & when thers a bike be'n parted out it seems a good bit of the time the motor has locked up and the crank is toast.

Is it just my luck or is this a common issue with the XRR ?
I wouldn't call it common, there was an issue with the big end thrust washer clearance on some of the bikes, it wasn't a big prob though. Like anything, run the crap out of it and not maintain it, something's going to give. On the XR, it's usually the big end.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #8711
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21 View Post
Hampener's set to stun:

That's one of my favorite roads! I have had the XR WFO for what seems like forever on that road. I have even had the 950 two-up and seen 100mph. 125mph solo. I really like when you went through the wash and the sun was setting. Makes for some good times. And no I didn't go through the wash two-up. I still wanted to be married after the ride. I remember my last two-up ride to Gonzaga. We ran into a Canadian chap named Elvis. He was on a 990s solo and couldn't catch me. At Gonzaga, he asked my wife if she was scared. Her reply "no, I was just taking pictures".

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #8712
appalachian
Ride fat boy ride

Oddometer: 247
Thanx for the input Ride Freak, I'd love to get that monster run'n but kinda think'n that buy'n a used motor off Ebay mite be the best option,aint been easy find'n info needed to what it'll take to seperate the motor cases & then replace/repair the crank but what I've found it sounds purty technical.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:24 AM   #8713
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,340
Aidan got his first...1st place trophy in BMX Racing tonight.

Sorry...nothing to do with the XRR...I just couldn't help myself.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #8714
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

Sorry...nothing to do with the XRR...I just couldn't help myself.

awesome mate
can see a little crf in the near fuuture maybe
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:27 AM   #8715
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,284
Great news Garthe , congrats to him , he looks chuffed

I'm from a BMX background , back in the 80's , its a great start to a love of anything 2 wheels
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote