User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #8851
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 919
On vacation...LOL... Now that is funny.

I haven't had a chance to mount it yet...parts are arriving at my home daily though, Mrs already let me hear...uhhhh...informs of a new arrival every day...
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
KTM265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #8852
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM265 View Post
On vacation...LOL... Now that is funny.

Good morning...I knew you'd get a kick out of that one...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #8853
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

That I did...good way to start my day with a little humor.... This area would be perfect for the outdoor sports if it wasn't for a stupid war... Thousands of miles of trails, mountains, creek crossings, river crossings...Turn this place into a tourist trap for the dual sporters...
Mark Twain: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, dream and discover"....

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely and in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy Crap, What a Ride!"
Old 06-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #8854
Garthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
I'm contemplating buying my first xrr, it's a 2000 with the acerbis tank. Beyond the upper subframe mounts, what should I be looking to see how worn out it is? There's no hour meter/odo, but the side cases have the coating worn off and the discs seem pretty worn.
Sounds like you have answered your own question...

Rather than get into a boring nuts, bolts and a detailed conversation...sometimes, 'a picture is worth a thousand words'...

If she looks like this, run away...

If she looks like this, stay a little while and see how you feel...

And, if she looks like this, throw ALL the money at the seller and ride off into the sunset with her...

Hope this helps, good luck...
Old 06-02-2011, 04:34 AM   #8855
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Garthe you have such a nice way to describe things...

Old 06-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #8856
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
That I did...good way to start my day with a little humor.... This area would be perfect for the outdoor sports if it wasn't for a stupid war... Thousands of miles of trails, mountains, creek crossings, river crossings...Turn this place into a tourist trap for the dual sporters...
Where is this place you speak of with all the creek crossings and mountains?

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #8857
Garthe

Quote:
Garthe you have such a nice way to describe things...
it's a gift...
Old 06-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #8858
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Broke a drive chain-now rebuilding the motor

So the first real outing this year broke my drive chain (primary drive, maybe two years old, less than 1000 miles) even though the chain is still tight and has all of its o-rings, well except the link that exploded. The first outing also almost broke my borther-in-law too; he had no idea what kind of riding he was in for.

Anyways, it took out my crankcase. If you haven't got one of the xrsonly case savers, I would strongly suggest you do. My factory case saver actually turned into a case destroyer.

Since I have to split the case, might as well rebuild the whole thing. And as long as I am rebuilding the whole thing, might as well build it up right?

So I just ordered all of the individual parts for HRC timing chain setup and some seals, crank bearings, and LH case. There goes $1k.

Next I will be shipping my head and cylinder off to xrsonly to get it opened up with the 102mm 11:1 piston and oversized valves, springs, etc.

It will come back and include a Hot Cam St. 1 and a Falicon rod kit.

So what else should I be doing or looking out for? I should be getting into the transmission tonight to do some measuring, but are there any parts that I should be replacing while I am at it aside from what I have already mentioned? Bearings that are prone to failure? Gears?

Oh how I can't wait to get this all back together.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8859
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Looks like a sweet setup.

Great, another shiny bit to put on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post

RM, hit on the link and it gives overall height and width. Notice how high up from the bottom triple clamp they mounted the fairing. Measure up from that point and you will get a good idea what the overall height of the fairing is. KTM265 hasn't mounted the fairing yet... He's on vacation out of the states ...

In this picture it really looks high...I don't see how it couldn't work great. I'm going to try and mount this fairing with the quick disconnect mounts from Baja Designs. I have severial different lights that I use...this makes changing them very easy. The mount aren't cheap...good stuff never is.

Then I'm going to use this mount for my Garmin 478 (I'm not going to use a road book unless doing a DS event). The mount can be gotten from Charlie...

http://www.rallymanagementservices.c...igation-clamps
RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM   #8860
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Well folks it's a sad day here. I have to sell the XR. It was something I tried to get for close to 5 years and now I have to let her go.

details here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693819

I just hope it goes to a good home. with any luck, I will be able to get another one soon. I just have some bills that need to get paid.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #8861
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Where is this place you speak of with all the creek crossings and mountains?

Asscrackistan

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #8862
KTM265
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
it's a gift...
Or a curse...pending on if the Mrs finds it funny...

Old 06-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #8863
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
alright guys i getting rid of my fmf powercore 4 slip on for something quieter to be legal. im looking at the pro circuit 4 slip on. ive been told its fairly quite what do you guys rate it at between stock, fmf, ect? i just wanna be quiet and stay below the radar as much as possible
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #8864
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Interesting. My 2011 P-Core 4 is very quiet and legal. Maybe just look into a new insert and/or repack it. I found the PC T-4 to be much louder. PC's Type 496 is their quiet series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtard View Post
alright guys i getting rid of my fmf powercore 4 slip on for something quieter to be legal. im looking at the pro circuit 4 slip on. ive been told its fairly quite what do you guys rate it at between stock, fmf, ect? i just wanna be quiet and stay below the radar as much as possible
RallyMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #8865
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyMoto View Post
Interesting. My 2011 P-Core 4 is very quiet and legal. Maybe just look into a new insert and/or repack it. I found the PC T-4 to be much louder. PC's Type 496 is their quiet series.
Really? mine is retarded loud and ive repacked it. my buddies wont even ride behind me on the trail cause its so loud. so your running the quiet insert correct? im not it didnt have one in it when i bought the bike. maybe ill just get one and try it
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote