Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #886
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Train
potential xr noob here,
I ride the hell out of my KLR for miles and miles on sweet Montana dirt backroads and am always mad that it is so slow and boring.
Reading this forum has convinced me I should give the brp a try.
Looking at buying this bike:

"2000 Honda XR 650 R dirt bike.
This is the aluminum framed, liquid cooled, King of the Baja version XR. Not the old 650L model.
This bike has been well maintained and cared for. Always garaged. Runs great and makes A LOT of power.
Many extras including- Exel wheels, talon hubs, pro-taper bars, cycra handguards, CRF USD forks, white bros full exhaust, stage II piston and cam. Bike also includes a South Dakota title and license plate- always planned to dual sport it. Factory XR headlight also included. Brake light already hooked up to factory lense.
Its a 2000 year model bought in late 2001. Its a dirt bike with no speedometer or hour meter. I rode it quite a bit for 3 seasons. All on trails in the Black Hills. If I had to guess- 1000-2000 miles on the bike. Probably 10 hours max on the upgrade piston and cam."

What do you guys think? My question is with the piston and cam is it gonna be any more maintenance or less reliable that stock motor? Anything else to worry about or check on if I go look at it? The price is right....

I already know powerwise, coming from KLR-land, it will try to rip my arms off frequently....

Thanks
L-Train
I have some friends that run that set up with their XR's.. in the Black Hills even! I might have to give them a call and see if they are selling! Anyway, not owning one first hand might not help but I've seen plenty run, and run hard and they last! They swear on
routine maintenance of course. They tear their engineĎs apart at the end of season if not twice a year. Not so much to replace broken parts but to ensure that if a problem does come up its handled before it becomes a catastrophe! Old habits die hard, they would tear their old two-strokes apart after every race but since switching to a thumper not as often. Of course they donít race anymore but boy do they run emí hard! Love the Black Hills and there is some great spots to be found . So in my opinion and sorry itís not the direct answer your looking for, that sounds like one solid machine, just do some annual preventative maintenance and that should last a lonnggg time!
Akunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #887
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

Looking to get a Digital speedo/tach for my BRP any thoughts?

Iíll admit, my MZ has me spoiled in the dash department. Iíve decided I like the convenience of a digital speedo/tach but which one? Iíd like to get one all in one wonderful machine that would display water, oil temps and the speed/tach features.. But signal light indicators and high and low beam indicator would be nice too! Durability is the most important feature above the others. Iíve seen a few out there but would like to hear the opinions of those that run these (or oneís like them) and any thoughts you might have if you own them or were to buy one.. Which and why?

Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #888
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
If you have a gps, get a RAM mount and you're done.

Do you guys really look at the speedo when you're riding?

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #889
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I'd get the vapor over the other simply because it displays the time.
and you can get a mount for it that has all the indicator lights as well
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #890
STFU
Found

Oddometer: 397
I have the endurance on my pig. Use the speedo when im on the road (some times) Probably use the clock more than anything.
STFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #891
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
If you have a gps, get a RAM mount and you're done.

Do you guys really look at the speedo when you're riding?
I like the Vaypor for the Tach and Temp more than anything, have NOT tried the other gauge unit but these are functions I need that the GPS WON'T give you.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #892
pedal pusher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Problem with Bajadesigns Dual Sport Kit

I recently purchased a plated XR650R with a Baja Design's dual sport kit (circa 2000-2005?) installed. The dual sport kit works as advertised (e.g. front headlight, front turn signals, rear brake light, kill switch, horn are ok), but the rear turn signals don't appear to turn on at all. I checked the connection between the rear turn signals and the wiring harness, and it appeared okay. Any ideas as to what to do next?
pedal pusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #893
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal pusher
I recently purchased a plated XR650R with a Baja Design's dual sport kit (circa 2000-2005?) installed. The dual sport kit works as advertised (e.g. front headlight, front turn signals, rear brake light, kill switch, horn are ok), but the rear turn signals don't appear to turn on at all. I checked the connection between the rear turn signals and the wiring harness, and it appeared okay. Any ideas as to what to do next?
Call BD... they are super helpful. Alex? I think is the guy you wanna talk to.

XR650King: Tach?? Temp guage???

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM   #894
JustinT OP

Quote:
XR650King: Tach?? Temp guage???
Are you asking? yes, Tach and Water Temp. (there is a head temp for air cooled bikes which you could use that sensor instead of wanted over coolant temp

http://trailtech.net/vapor.html
Old 05-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #895
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

After asking around a bit I've decided to go with the Vapor and the optional light kit

Looks like an all-round good package and with my GPS.. I can get elevation and barometric pressure! (lol, omg, is this overkill or what?) Oh, and not to mention.... maps! That with Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit, I'll be ready to rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
I like the Vaypor for the Tach and Temp more than anything, have NOT tried the other gauge unit but these are functions I need that the GPS WON'T give you.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #896
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,450
My Vapor has held up for about almost a years worth of very hard offroad riding.
I am removing it now because the only thing I really ever look at anymore is the temp gauge occaisionally. I always ride with the GPS & the speedo is easier to read on it, so I'm simplifying my wiring/clutter behind the headlight.
The recall feature is nice, you can look at your max speed, rpm, temp at the end of the ride. The speedo was very accurate right out of the box, within 2 mph vs the GPS. After a years worth of data, I don't really look at any of that anymore. I use the GPS for my de liar when we think we might've broken the sound barrier
It's really tough to believe we were only doing 90 something after some of the long puckered up fire road runs.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #897
brad21
Farting in a Fan

... sorry 4play, but there isn't a "yeah that" emoticon! I'm all for the less is more approach.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #898
Akunin
Neo-Vegabond

LOL, Only 90! I love reading stuff like this.. I keep imagining a friend on his KLR pleading "wait up!!" as we went down a few fire roads of our own.
After having a DR and my MZ I like having those "dashboard" features when I'll find myself on a road or highway. Offroad will be a different story all together!! Won't look at it, but I'd like to know that it will hold up as I like to run no holds barred through the woods or down a fire trail or two. Can't wait to get this thing back to the Hills and let it rip!! These MN ditches get quite boring!

Oh and this might be cheating Brad but here you go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play
My Vapor has held up for about almost a years worth of very hard offroad riding.
I am removing it now because the only thing I really ever look at anymore is the temp gauge occaisionally. I always ride with the GPS & the speedo is easier to read on it, so I'm simplifying my wiring/clutter behind the headlight.
The recall feature is nice, you can look at your max speed, rpm, temp at the end of the ride. The speedo was very accurate right out of the box, within 2 mph vs the GPS. After a years worth of data, I don't really look at any of that anymore. I use the GPS for my de liar when we think we might've broken the sound barrier
It's really tough to believe we were only doing 90 something after some of the long puckered up fire road runs.

Akunin screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 05:11 PM
Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #899
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,450
Funny guys, but I'm not bashing his decision to run a loaded Vapor. I enjoyed the data from the Vapor while getting familiar with the bike.
It sounds like he plans to spend some time on the road & what he's laid out looks good for that.
I only get on pavement to get to the next patch of dirt & I'm in a state that only requires lights & a horn. I started re wiring for a HID headlight upgrade & decided to remove it.

BTW, we have member here in his 50's that trail rides a new style KLR that is very quick. I don't remember riding with him on any real high speed stuff, but in pretty rough & some very twisty two track I thought I was hauling the mail & Mil was right there with me.

4play screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 06:33 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #900
JustinT OP

Quote:
... sorry 4play, but there isn't a "yeah that" emoticon! I'm all for the less is more approach.
I understand the saying "less is more" but in this case...what "more" do you get?

I haven't knocked the GPS because I've use one on trips and with routes as well with planning rides and its a great tool for its purpose...but for a weekend in familiar territory or local commutes it doesn't serve much purpose and would be more of a loss if it was stolen or broken.