User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #10246
iqbaliqbal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Clutch Cover O-ring...

I'm losing my mind trying to get a new o-ring to fit in the groove of my '03 XR650R Clutch Cover!

I cleaned the groove hoping to get the o-ring to seat as "deep" as possible.

I also tried the o-ring-in-the-freezer trick, and I still have about 1/4 inch of excess o-ring.

Does anyone of an alternate trick? I'm dangerously close to cutting the o-ring and using a dab of silicone!

Thanks guys!
iqbaliqbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #10247
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbaliqbal View Post
I'm losing my mind trying to get a new o-ring to fit in the groove of my '03 XR650R Clutch Cover!

I also tried the o-ring-in-the-freezer trick, and I still have about 1/4 inch of excess o-ring.

Does anyone of an alternate trick? I'm dangerously close to cutting the o-ring and using a dab of silicone!

Thanks guys!
like with all o rings there just a little to big , you have to get it 95 percent in then take,,,, like the end of a hacksaw blade or a small flat blade screwdriver and just tuck it in there
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #10248
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Dude with the funny nick (too lazy to copy&paste),
yes, there is a trick: clean it (lacquer-thinners!), cut it to length, and superglue the ends.
Works fine too.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #10249
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Dude with the funny nick (too lazy to copy&paste),
yes, there is a trick: clean it (lacquer-thinners!), cut it to length, and superglue the ends.
Works fine too.
yep that will work too
but i forgot to mention that you have to have the cover press up againt the engine while your tucking as to hold it in place until your all the way around and some grease can also hold it in a little for you as you work
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #10250
islano
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Ballistic

Could you show me how the battery is strapped please?
Attached Images

islano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #10251
iqbaliqbal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
yep that will work too
but i forgot to mention that you have to have the cover press up againt the engine while your tucking as to hold it in place until your all the way around and some grease can also hold it in a little for you as you work

I'll try the Tuck N Stuff method first...thanks Gents!
Old 09-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #10252
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
BD DSK Park Light Bulb Part Number? Baja Designs Dual Sport Kit

My bulb fell into the bike and I couldn't find it. Now I don't know what bulb I need to find. I can't find on the BD website either, they only seem to sell the whole mini harness that comes with the bulb and doesn't mention what bulb. Also tried a thread search and a google search and no luck, so maybe one of you guys has it apart and can look which bulb it would be much appreciated thanks.
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #10253
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqbaliqbal View Post

Thanks guys!
Mine was slightly large also, the method I used was to put very small dabs of silicone in the grove about every inch (very minimal amount) and then inserted the oring and let it setup a little, just enough to hold it. There was some minor budging of the oring between each of the silicone spots but when spread out over the entire circumference it was barely noticeable and the oring was seated enough to put the cover on without pinching the anything. I set the oring in the sun prior to make it more pliable. I've also seen it done with dabs of grease.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #10254
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Has anyone had good luck with the Renthal Alloy rear sprockets? I bought it and now I am having second thoughts. I have a steel sprocket now that has an untold amount of miles on it. I know I have put atleast 3000 on it and it was half worn out when I bought the bike. I have the steel Renthal front sprocket and Regina chain. I want them all to last about the same amount of time as replacing one component at 4000 miles(estimate) is obviously bad for the other 2. Advice?
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #10255
iqbaliqbal
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Mine was slightly large also, the method I used was to put very small dabs of silicone in the grove about every inch (very minimal amount) and then inserted the oring and let it setup a little, just enough to hold it. There was some minor budging of the oring between each of the silicone spots but when spread out over the entire circumference it was barely noticeable and the oring was seated enough to put the cover on without pinching the anything. I set the oring in the sun prior to make it more pliable. I've also seen it done with dabs of grease.
Thanks RF! I got the Tuck N Stuff to work...I'll see how it holds up, but initially, it looks like its holding up. I know this wont be my last time to remove that cover, so the next time, I'll try you method.

Now, I need to sort out my my Edelbrock has a slight over-rev/lean condition!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #10256
aiMhi
Now with Titanium

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMDP View Post
Hey Guys: i'm trying to hardwire my garmin 2720 GPS to my stock XR

I bought the Garmin motorcycle hardwire kit

I put bullet connectors on the red and black leads and plugged them into my tail light connectors under the seat to see if it would work

IT DIDN'T

it turns on when I connect it directly to a battery

so whats the problem--all I need is a 12v DC source from my bike, right?

Hi -You dont need to spend $500 on a BAJA kit.

I also run a stock XR650R and I dont run a battery at all and no capacitor. I run my cellphone, and whatever needs 12v DC off my cigarette lighter that I connected to a 25A, 50V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier from Radio Shack, it cost me $3.49. Just tap one of the legs coming from the stator and wire it up to the Bridge Rectifier. Let me know if you need pictures of the specifics. My 35W headlight burns bright (I dont ride at night but is fine), my SPAL fan works just great and my rear LED brake light functions. I am thinking of converting my front headlamp to a LED bulb replacement....that I want to assemble...will see how that goes.

It works awesome, my GPS is an Android Incredible and then use GAIA GPS app that you can download full topographic maps for free over wifi and then upload it to the phone. It gives me everything a regular GPS gives, waypoints, upload GPX tracks, download it, track my position real-time except my screen is a little glossy.

Anyways, it has worked for over a 1000 miles to Moab and riding the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.

Less is more
aiMhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #10257
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkBRP View Post
Hi -You dont need to spend $500 on a BAJA kit.

I also run a stock XR650R and I dont run a battery at all and no capacitor. I run my cellphone, and whatever needs 12v DC off my cigarette lighter that I connected to a 25A, 50V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier from Radio Shack, it cost me $3.49. Just tap one of the legs coming from the stator and wire it up to the Bridge Rectifier. Let me know if you need pictures of the specifics. My 35W headlight burns bright (I dont ride at night but is fine), my SPAL fan works just great and my rear LED brake light functions. I am thinking of converting my front headlamp to a LED bulb replacement....that I want to assemble...will see how that goes.

It works awesome, my GPS is an Android Incredible and then use GAIA GPS app that you can download full topographic maps for free over wifi and then upload it to the phone. It gives me everything a regular GPS gives, waypoints, upload GPX tracks, download it, track my position real-time except my screen is a little glossy.

Anyways, it has worked for over a 1000 miles to Moab and riding the Rocky Mountains in Colorado.

Less is more
I'd like to see this setup, what stator are you using?
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #10258
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
I'm about to lose it with this tank. I just got this thing out of the classifieds, and can not get it to stop leaking. Yesterday I put a small amount of gasket maker down in-between in the petcock and tank, tightened up the screws, let it sit for awhile. Still leaked from in-between the tank and petcock. Repeated process with a generous amount of gasket maker, worked for about 3 minutes, then started leaking again.
It appears that one of the anchors for the screws hangs out just slightly from the petcock outline, which I'm guessing is affecting the seal. Not sure though, this is my only stock tank, so all stocks one could be like that for all I know. Anyone have success stoping a leak from their tank like this. I can't see any cracks, so it has to be a seal issue, and can't figure out why the gasket maker didn't work. I used the non hardening gasket maker, think I should switch to the stuff the gets rock hard?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #10259
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Try some gasket maker that will work for gas. Just double up on the seals. It usually works.
JTucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #10260
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Buy another tank, good grief.