ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #91
DOSCERVASAS
neck
 
DOSCERVASAS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Keller, Tx
Oddometer: 220
Thanks Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
You did fine, and I followed you I just never thought of a PCV valve limiting oil blow by since it would be in suspension in the air? But I'm not saying you are wrong just haven't thought of it for limiting oil loss? for a cheap piece I don't think it could hurt anything.

I did 700 miles in one weekend and didn't notice any oil volume loss. I have heard about these piggies loosing oil as well but understood it to coincide with hard accelerations and such (I've noticed it more after a few weekends of offroad only riding) but I haven't ridden a consistent 1000 miles in under 24hrs, I'd think consistent speeds should limit oil loss but let us know how it goes!
Cool on the not losing oil in 700 miles, I think I should be good ( because it is a Honda) just thinking out of the box.

Thanks again for your feed back, I may look into this to see if they even make one.

keep it on one or two wheels
__________________
"Just some ass hole trying to ice skate up hill"


"Another Day, Another poor soul left in my Dust"


DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800
DOSCERVASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #92
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
GIS kev the xr400 CDI bolts straight on and gives 2 more advance from idle about the same all in advance but revs to 9500 or so where the stocker revs to 8300.
In the USA you have to get the same box as the 96 model as it's got the full 2 degrees at idle.
I just found one of these but now I'm having second thoughts (it hasn't arrived yet) Because I have to imagine the factory set it at 8300 for a reason and my machine shop frowns against it. He says if I'm bouncing off the rev limiter I need to gear it higher and that even at 8300 its already past its power band? Next he tries to scare me talking about the heavyness of the rotating assembly and that it doesn't need to rotate any faster or it will add more stress and something will give or wear faster...? HELP? what do ya'll think? I'd love to have the timing advance but I bought it because when I'm getting on it it seems to be pulling strong till it hits the rev-limiter? I'm glad someone brought this up!

There is a fellow on ThumperTalk that has been running one with good results but he is supermotard as well was running a lighter flywheel for quicker revs! I think he's more for track and performance than XR durability?

Any input is appreciated!

XRK
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:03 AM   #93
kenaroo
I am because i ride
 
kenaroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Austin Tejas
Oddometer: 809
I've been running one for 3 years with no problem.. bike is a little more peppy throughout the power band. one thing I notice with the new box.. I don't bounce off the rev limiter as much as I'm going throught the gears.. what's nice it that you feel the power flatten out and makes you want to shift to the next gear anyway.. with the stock box the revs and power would climb and then stiffle as it hit the limiter. it was annoying.

I wouldn't be afraid of the cdi box

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
I just found one of these but now I'm having second thoughts (it hasn't arrived yet) Because I have to imagine the factory set it at 8300 for a reason and my machine shop frowns against it. He says if I'm bouncing off the rev limiter I need to gear it higher and that even at 8300 its already past its power band? Next he tries to scare me talking about the heavyness of the rotating assembly and that it doesn't need to rotate any faster or it will add more stress and something will give or wear faster...? HELP? what do ya'll think? I'd love to have the timing advance but I bought it because when I'm getting on it it seems to be pulling strong till it hits the rev-limiter? I'm glad someone brought this up!

There is a fellow on ThumperTalk that has been running one with good results but he is supermotard as well was running a lighter flywheel for quicker revs! I think he's more for track and performance than XR durability?

Any input is appreciated!

XRK
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com


kenaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #94
cello
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Oddometer: 80
Advice

Any advice when looking for a good secondhand XR? There seems to be a few around in the UK from 2000-2004 with somewhere between 4000-8000 miles on them.

What should i look for that may cost a packet to put right if its a donkey. Being a veteran dirt rider aware of he usual bashed radiators, frames, wheel bearings, wheels and disk rotors but not so sure of the BRP engine/clutch/gearbox.

Any help would be appreciated.....oh yeah is there only one XR650R or are there variants of this great machine.

thks
cello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #95
kenaroo
I am because i ride
 
kenaroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Austin Tejas
Oddometer: 809
just check the obvious and for subframe cracks at the top of the back bone and sides, right footpeg bolts, these bikes are really bullet proof. but hopefully the previous owner change oil and filters regularly. that's the only thing with used bikes is hard to tell is the PO's maintance habits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cello
Any advice when looking for a good secondhand XR? There seems to be a few around in the UK from 2000-2004 with somewhere between 4000-8000 miles on them.

What should i look for that may cost a packet to put right if its a donkey. Being a veteran dirt rider aware of he usual bashed radiators, frames, wheel bearings, wheels and disk rotors but not so sure of the BRP engine/clutch/gearbox.

Any help would be appreciated.....oh yeah is there only one XR650R or are there variants of this great machine.

thks
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com


kenaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #96
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
just check the obvious and for subframe cracks at the top of the back bone and sides, right footpeg bolts, these bikes are really bullet proof. but hopefully the previous owner change oil and filters regularly. that's the only thing with used bikes is hard to tell is the PO's maintance habits..
+1
in the US all 2000-2007 are the same bike and I believe in the UK the motor and such are the same but ya'll have some other options we don't like street legal and such and I don't know about when those options are available.

Physical wear is about all you can check unless the PO will let you tear into it?

We can give you a list of things which these bikes are known to need so you can feel out the PO, I'll start and others chime in;

...has the fork oil ever been changed?
...stearing stem greased?
...(if its 2000 or 2001) clutch bushing been replaced?
...valve adjustment intervals, if ever?

Once you get it home We can fill your head with minor things to check into...


Keep us posted on what you found!
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #97
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
I've been running one for 3 years with no problem.. bike is a little more peppy throughout the power band. one thing I notice with the new box.. I don't bounce off the rev limiter as much as I'm going throught the gears.. what's nice it that you feel the power flatten out and makes you want to shift to the next gear anyway.. with the stock box the revs and power would climb and then stiffle as it hit the limiter. it was annoying.

I wouldn't be afraid of the cdi box
Hi hi kenaroo...
Sorry for the very little knowledge....seriously the XR400CDI onto XR650R would be good improvements?if so,i am really gonna try it out too...actually,i am quite happy enuff with the way it is...but,if for better performance,and wont affect durability of the bike,i would love to...
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,XL1000V(project)(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()VF750C-96(project tracker)
(Hyundai Tucson-(For Family)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #98
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
Hi hi kenaroo...
Sorry for the very little knowledge....seriously the XR400CDI onto XR650R would be good improvements?if so,i am really gonna try it out too...actually,i am quite happy enuff with the way it is...but,if for better performance,and wont affect durability of the bike,i would love to...
For your information...AS Kenaroo stated its the 96-97 XR400...but I found that most Ebay sellers don't list or know what year it came from if its a used parts dealer.

BUT...if it has Number: 070000-2650 -its the earlier 96-97 model! (the one you want
BUT if it has the Number 070000-2740 its the Later model which doesn't have the same timing advance and I believe its a lower rev-limiter.

It will help you narrow down the XR400 CDI's available!

Correct? Kenaroo?

XRRK
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #99
kenaroo
I am because i ride
 
kenaroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Austin Tejas
Oddometer: 809
I don't have the part #s but that should be the one.. in addition, ebay sellers label this as the xr650r high performance cdi box as well.

A.J. you have enough experience riding your XR650R.. you will be pleased with the upgrade... the best way I can explain it to a seasoned XR owners is that it cleans up and broadens the power on the bikes.. doesn't change the feel so much as it just doesn't cut off on the top of the revs. you notice most when your in race mode or getting to max speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
For your information...AS Kenaroo stated its the 96-97 XR400...but I found that most Ebay sellers don't list or know what year it came from if its a used parts dealer.

BUT...if it has Number: 070000-2650 -its the earlier 96-97 model! (the one you want
BUT if it has the Number 070000-2740 its the Later model which doesn't have the same timing advance and I believe its a lower rev-limiter.

It will help you narrow down the XR400 CDI's available!

Correct? Kenaroo?

XRRK
__________________
--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com



kenaroo screwed with this post 12-11-2008 at 08:20 AM
kenaroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #100
DOSCERVASAS
neck
 
DOSCERVASAS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Keller, Tx
Oddometer: 220
Tm41

I got a guy wanting me to make an offer on a TM41.

Will this work on a BRP, and if so what should I bid?

This is used by the way.
__________________
"Just some ass hole trying to ice skate up hill"


"Another Day, Another poor soul left in my Dust"


DT-100
XR-650R
VTX-1800
DOSCERVASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #101
AJ..
Beastly Adventurer
 
AJ..'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore
Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo
I don't have the part #s but that should be the one.. in addition, ebay sellers label this as the xr650r high performance cdi box as well.

A.J. you have enough experience riding your XR650R.. you will be pleased with the upgrade... the best way I can explain it to a seasoned XR owners is that it cleans up and broadens the power on the bikes.. doesn't change the feel so much as it just doesn't cut off on the top of the revs. you notice most when your in race mode or getting to max speed.

Hey man...thanks for the reply..

So,by putting the XR400R CDI year 96-97 with this part no..070000-2650 ,it will boost up my XR650R..wooohoo...superb...i will go down to the Honda sub-agent for this part...and check out how much it will cost...and will try borrow the CDI from some friends who rides the 96-97 XR4 and give it a test...
Thanks guys...great info.
__________________
HONDA XRV750-02,XL1000V(project)(woot-woot)BMW R1100GS-'98()
KTM640ADV,KTM620DUKE projected()VF750C-96(project tracker)
(Hyundai Tucson-(For Family)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AJs-fr...7491373?v=wall
AJ.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #102
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ..
Hey man...thanks for the reply..

So,by putting the XR400R CDI year 96-97 with this part no..070000-2650 ,it will boost up my XR650R..wooohoo...superb...i will go down to the Honda sub-agent for this part...and check out how much it will cost...and will try borrow the CDI from some friends who rides the 96-97 XR4 and give it a test...
Thanks guys...great info.
Just to clarify...its not a Honda Part number its the Denso Model Number thats ON the CDI...its the Number that most sellers on Ebay have since its written on the CDI.

There are two HOnda Part Numbers for the CDI, 30410-KCY-671 (for $137.** at Ronayers.com) and 30410-KCY-761 (for $97.**) but for all the model years they list them both so I don't know which part number is the earlier one (I'd have to assume the one ending in 671 since it comes before 761??????)

But go to ebay...you ought to be able to score one for ~$50-60 before shipping...just make sure you have the correct year/Denso # written on it.

Sorry for the Confusion.

XRRK
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:31 PM   #103
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOSCERVASAS
I got a guy wanting me to make an offer on a TM41.

Will this work on a BRP, and if so what should I bid?

This is used by the way.
I bought a used TM40 a while back which was Aprox $200-$225.

Bruce Wrote about the TM40 http://borynack.com/XR650R/HorsePowerMods.htm and included the setup and jetting he used. I'm sure you have been to his site but this should give you an idea...My bike was still down when I got mine and had to get rid of it just to get some cash back since it was just sitting around so I never got to use it. but people rave about its performance certainly over stock and even over the Edelbrock?

I don't know much about the TM40 vs TM41 other than the venturi is 41mm instead of 40????

Anyone else have any input?
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #104
badcooky
I see dumb people!
 
badcooky's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: At QLD Australia
Oddometer: 1,129
Ken the Kenaroo yep that's what i found with the XR400 CDI,it's all good.
As mine is a modded bike i notice it up top the best but it's definitely stronger from idle as well.
You might know me from TT dude as weskc35k (an old password i had to remember)
__________________
The mighty XR650R.
The old trail bike that all modern trail bikes are judged by.
It's funny cause it's true!.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #105
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
Ken the Kenaroo yep that's what i found with the XR400 CDI,it's all good.
As mine is a modded bike i notice it up top the best but it's definitely stronger from idle as well.
You might know me from TT dude as weskc35k (an old password i had to remember)
Badcooky,
hows the TM40 working out?
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014